Could Stevia be causing a stall?

Options
jerryellis63012
jerryellis63012 Posts: 105 Member
I'm stalling for the last month or so and just can't stand to drink plain water. I know for a fact I won't drink enough if it's not flavored at least a little. Could Stevia be causing me to stall? I use Stevia and concentrated lemon juice, I also just noticed that my Stevia drops are 11% organic alcohol! Do you think it's the alcohol stalling me or can I use Stevia with no alcohol with no problems?

Replies

• shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    It could be. There's evidence to suggest that the body reacts to artificial sweeteners the same way it reacts to sugar, provoking an insulin response. Some people are more sensitive than others. I can't have diet anything. If I have a bottle of diet ginger beer for example, with almost no carbs or calories, it kicks me out of ketosis almost immediately. There are plenty of people who can have sugar substitutes, but there are plenty of people who can't too.
  • jerryellis63012
    Options
    shai74 wrote: »
    It could be. There's evidence to suggest that the body reacts to artificial sweeteners the same way it reacts to sugar, provoking an insulin response. Some people are more sensitive than others. I can't have diet anything. If I have a bottle of diet ginger beer for example, with almost no carbs or calories, it kicks me out of ketosis almost immediately. There are plenty of people who can have sugar substitutes, but there are plenty of people who can't too.

Well I guess I'm going to have to stop using it and see if it helps ugh lol!
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am excruciatingly sensitive to water that in any way tastes "weird" to me, although I know how to work around this and do drink a ton of water. If you really need a flavor, try cold-brewed herbal tea. No carbs, very few calories, and I find as long as they smell sweet, they don't actually need to be sweet. I like ginger and lemon, or a white tea with hibiscus, a lot of chamomile mixes, or really anything that smells appealing. A lot of times I'll have a hot cup in the morning and let my spent tea bag sit in a glass of cold water for drinking later, or I'll just transfer one fresh bag from cup to cup all day if I am somewhere that I need to mask "icky" tasting water.
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm a loose-leaf tea snob, but even so, these are two of my favourite teas to do this with: http://www.liptontea.com/product/detail/141476/orange-blossom-hibiscus-herbal-tea and http://www.liptontea.com/product/detail/141516/island-mango-peach-white-tea. One bag will get me through 70oz of water, easy, at a pleasant level of flavour. They're not readily available here in New Zealand, and I miss them.
  • jerryellis63012
    Options
    I am excruciatingly sensitive to water that in any way tastes "weird" to me, although I know how to work around this and do drink a ton of water. If you really need a flavor, try cold-brewed herbal tea. No carbs, very few calories, and I find as long as they smell sweet, they don't actually need to be sweet. I like ginger and lemon, or a white tea with hibiscus, a lot of chamomile mixes, or really anything that smells appealing. A lot of times I'll have a hot cup in the morning and let my spent tea bag sit in a glass of cold water for drinking later, or I'll just transfer one fresh bag from cup to cup all day if I am somewhere that I need to mask "icky" tasting water.

Thanks for the tip!
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Cold-brewed herbal tea sounds amazing. Why did I never think of that?
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    First off how much are you drinking? I use sugar free Mio, In water and Truvia in coffee... It has not effected my loss at all. Generally all stalls, plateaus etc are related to 2 things. Calories under reported and calorie burn over reported. Yes calories do count. If you have stalled for more than a month look at these 2 things first. Check your kitchen scale make sure it is accurate. Stop eating back exercise calories.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    how many carbs in concentrated lemon juice ?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    how many carbs in concentrated lemon juice ?

A lot, I would imagine, since I noticed lemon juice had carbs when I added it to a recipe! I was SHOCKED. Adding a lemon slice to the water is so different than juice or concentrated juice...