Coconut Oil, BPC...

Options
2»

Replies

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Good luck! My travel mugs have leak proof inner workings that prevent all the coconut oil from getting to me (and it's a total butt in the pain to clean) so I stopped taking coffee to work with me. The good news is I start drinking water much earlier in the morning now.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I use a regular blender that is noisy but I just wait until everyone is up. I think shaking would work if the coffee is hot enough. Oh, and I use coconut oil and unsalted butter from Walmart or Aldi's. I think I saw the cost of the grass fed butter and figured the non-grass fed butter would work just fine for now.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I didn't mind it just stirred with a spoon. Yeah, a lot of the butter and oil are probably lining the inside of my cup instead of my belly, but I don't think I lost too much of it. By the way, I am SO glad I tried this--I LOVE the taste of the coconut oil in my coffee. So yum! Looking forward to increasing the amount of fat in my coffee so it keeps hunger away longer. :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    followed by 4-5 tablespoons (start with 1 since you are new to coconut oil)
    I add 1-2 oz of HWC (heavy whipping cream)

Holy calories, Batman!

I typically get my half of my 3000 daily calories when just maintaining at breakfast. I have to drop back to 2500 daily to lose more weight.

Keep in mind I am 64 and can not afford to lose weight by deep calorie restriction without shorting my remaining years like one can do maybe when they are 24 years old.

Finally after all of these years I have learned the body will maintain an ideal weight if you will feed it enough of the right food because calorie restriction seems counter productive in my case.

• DianaElena76
    Options
    shai74 wrote: »

That's pretty cool! So you just toss it in your leakproof coffee mug and shake-shake-shake?
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with oil pulling, although I've heard the phrase many times. What is it?

Basically it is swishing your mouth with coconut oil like you would with mouthwash. I once thought it would be icky, but it really isn't. You have to spit it out though.
    Start with a small amount at first. As you get used to it, add more until you get a decent mouthful.
    I spit it out into a soup can and throw it into the trash to avoid clogging my drains.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with oil pulling, although I've heard the phrase many times. What is it?

Basically it is swishing your mouth with coconut oil like you would with mouthwash. I once thought it would be icky, but it really isn't. You have to spit it out though.
    Start with a small amount at first. As you get used to it, add more until you get a decent mouthful.
    I spit it out into a soup can and throw it into the trash to avoid clogging my drains.

To me, I just swish good after using my homemade toothpaste (like an extra minute or three.

GREAT IDEA about the soup can... Been wondering about that...
  • DianaElena76
    Options

It says not to do it if you have gum disease or you will end up losing your teeth. I wonder what that's about.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

It says not to do it if you have gum disease or you will end up losing your teeth. I wonder what that's about.

That's strange considering the antibacterial properties of coconut oil. Anyone have an answer?
    I did some research and only one site lists the "danger" of using it with gum disease, while others tout it as beneficial. Of course, the ADA consider it unecessary and that everyone needs to use only ADA approved chemical mouthwashes - but then that is like the AHA and the other ADA dissuading LCHF - they want to keep us sick so they can stay in business!
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options

That's strange considering the antibacterial properties of coconut oil. Anyone have an answer?

I don't know and couldn't find any info about that. All I know is I was doing it for a month and went in for a routine dental cleaning. I was shocked that I got the worst exam result that I ever had. Lots of bleeding and deeper pockets. End of coconut oil pulling for me!
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    I think that's what it was saying, that the oil goes about 1mm down whereas infections can go several mm beneath the surface.... so maybe swishing causes the pockets to go deeper? I was all excited about it until I read that part. :(
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I don't know and couldn't find any info about that. All I know is I was doing it for a month and went in for a routine dental cleaning. I was shocked that I got the worst exam result that I ever had. Lots of bleeding and deeper pockets. End of coconut oil pulling for me!

Maybe it is like your metabolism - sometimes it has to get worse before it gets better?
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    shai74 wrote: »

That's pretty cool! So you just toss it in your leakproof coffee mug and shake-shake-shake?

Yes ma'am. I ended up buying 2 for $1.39 from china. Works like a charm. :)
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    I might have to try that! Thanks for the tip!
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Maybe it is like your metabolism - sometimes it has to get worse before it gets better?

Could be. I thought of that, but didn't want to risk getting worse and needing dental surgery. I'm hoping that eating low carb will help me as it has others.
  • RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Went dairy free so have been putting 10g of coconut oil in coffee and just stirring. Will start to increase slowly. Lips are lovely and soft!