Tips, Tricks, Technics & Tools

Options
aaliceinw
aaliceinw Posts: 747 Member
I thought it might be useful to create a space specifically for some of the more technical things that we do to help us lose weight. It provides the opportunity to then come back to them for tips and advice,

We can share our experience of TDEE, Banting, Yoga, Zumba etc

There are so many different aspects to honoring our bodily temples, sharing them allows each of us to understand that we all have the power of choice and it is the single most important critical success factor as to whether we achieve our goals or not!

So onward fellow weight Losers :)

Replies

• mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I found this article interesting. It is a nice reminder to slow down and take stock of our stress level. I think we often forget to check in with ourselves, really think about where we are at, and end up feeling very overwhelmed because we are not putting things into sortable categories. I like the stop light analogy because it is so basic, relatable, and easy to use. Paired with the understanding of the effect on health/weight loss, it is a very useful tool. I am going to practice this and try to incorporate this into my daily lifestyle.
  • Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    This is a great idea for a topic! So here is a tip that I will share, even though most of you probably already do this. As soon as I come home from the grocery store I divvy up all the cereal & snack foods into single servings & put them into plastic containers or snack bags. That way I'm not tempted to mindlessly eat an entire bag of pretzels. If I want another serving I have to get up & go get it & admit to myself that I'm eating more than one serving.
  • aaliceinw
    Options
    Hey Liz, can you post the link to the article please?

It is a great tip Noodle, thanks. Woolworths sells a lot of their bulk foods package in small lunch box packets, so for example the fruit and nuts that I put in my yoghurt each day come in bulk packs of 10 x 30gr. It's brilliant because I don't have to weigh them and I know exactly how much I am eating.
  • aaliceinw
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I will share one yoga pose from time to time. I only do about 5 of them for the moment.

Corpse pose (savasana) I usually do it every morning and sometimes at night just before going to sleep. It is the first pose that they teach us. It is very calming and grounding and allows you to assess what is happening in your body, whilst expressing gratitude for the day gone by, or the day to come. I use it also to set my intentions for the day - this also actually has a yoga name but I don't remember the Sanskrit names for everything we did.

http://www.yogaoutlet.com/guides/how-to-do-corpse-pose-in-yoga/ - This gives details about the pose and it's benefits.
    cuxht16b7571.jpg

I do it on my bed so I don't need the pillow under my knees but if I you have a problem with your back or your neck, the pillow helps a lot.
  • aaliceinw
    Options
    Here are a few things that might help if you are stuck on a plateau. You may want to set one or two as baby step goals so that you can see if they are having an effect or not.

1) reduce your salt intake
    2) try to reduce the amount of processed foods in general, they have loads of added salt and hidden sugars
    3) eat probiotic yoghurts - they are good for millions of reasons and if you are lactose intolerant, they usually are fine anyway. Test with a couple of spoonfuls first
    4) drink lots and lots and lots of water
    5) drink green tea, they make them with mint, jasmine, ginger etc
    6) look up specific yoga moves to increase metabolism
    7) change your eating habits around I.e. Eat 3 balanced calorie amounts, or every 2 hours, or heavy breakfast, heavy lunch, light dinner
    8) change your exercise routines, go for low impact, low calorie burn during longer workouts
    9) sleep... Try to get your 8 hours a day so that your body can repair itself
    10) make sure you get at least two rest days in your body needs time to repair
    11) reduce the number of hours exercise to 3 per And then to top it off, I crashed and fell asleep before getting all my water in.
    if you are on such a low calorie intake
    12) make sure you get 1200 calories per day if you are not sedentary, your body won't let go of the weight if you are burning muscle and not fat
    13) check your macros. You may be eating the right amount of calories but if your sugar and fat are continuously high, they may be impacted your weight loss, (though I have not looked up any information about that)

Good luck
  • aaliceinw
    Options
    I had forgotten to go and read the link Liz! It's a great post.

Our own mindset is the biggest factor towards succeeding or failing to reach our objectives. Having the ability to see negatives and turn them into positives also helps when things don't go to plan.

I'm battling at the moment because things have stagnated for me since march in regards to my weight loss but I have also been able to switch focus to attend to a certain number of things I was neglecting, including looking for my new home.

I am finally eating and feeling hungry when I don't eat, even without exercising, which tells me that my metabolism is starting to work normally again.

But I am itching to move... I have to learn to walk before I can run (Literally).
  • aaliceinw
    Options
    Liz this is a fantastic post. It really fits in with how I am living my life. The affirmations thing was also something I totally battle(d) with but found out that it does work.

One thing I came to terms with is that we can and never will be happy all of the time, it is no more a permanent state than being angry or upset, so why are we sold that it is what we must seek? I've learned and am still learning to be angry when I am angry, and to let it go when it is done as opposed to hide it, repress it, sugar-coat it or ignore it, as I have been taught by society that it is an ugly state to be in - I call BULL *kitten*! It is perfectly normal to be angry at a person that insults you, a colleague that stabs you in the back or a corrupt politician! And it is perfectly normal to express that fact. It is not only abnormal but unhealthy, to hide that anger, which we then carry in our bodies as extra baggage and extra weight.

It is amazing how much junk is immediately released, when we look within ourselves, listen to the negative self-talk, identify the voice in which it speaks, only to realize the stuff that we are carrying is not ours anyway! Dang!!

I am worthy!
    I am beautiful!
    I am generous and have a lot to give to others!
    I am healthy and body beautiful :smile: :smiley::wink:
    I am grateful!

Namaste Liz
    Namaste to all of you wonderful ladies.

I truly am grateful!
  • mysticlizard
    Options
    Alice - I am glad you liked the post. I to thought it was very clearly stated and well written. I totally agree with you about society and happiness. In my case I don't think I have ever been what people call happy. I am suspicious of being happy, it seems so transient and so puffed up. But I can be pleased and content and that is good enough for me. Being content is solid and tangible. You can be content and be happy, sad, or angry, there is no conflict. Whereas if you are happy, you can't be sad, or angry. I have never had a problem of getting angry and speaking my mind. I think at times it can be too easy. I have noticed in the last few years though, I don't care to spend the energy. If it isn't something that will make a difference to my long term or there is nothing I can do about it, I let it go.

I found another post today. This one is on Aerobic and HIIT training, the efficiently, advantages, and disadvantages of both. It has been something I was wondering about.

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/whats-more-beneficial-steady-state-or-high-intensity-cardio/?user_id=230516857834861&alt_source=mfp&alt_medium=email&alt_campaign=workouts20150525&utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=workouts20150525&mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRokvqnIZKXonjHpfsX76O4tWKK3hIkz2EFye+LIHETpodcMTsdjMq+TFAwTG5toziV8R7DBLM153N8QXRTg
  • Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Finally!! A post that explains the difference between BMR & TDEE that makes sense!! I love this! I'm going in for measurements next week, so I'm curious to find out what my TDEE is since I've been going off of BMR & as the calories drop I'm finding myself a bit hungrier, so I've been having to up the workouts so I can have some calories back so I don't feel like I'm starving!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/931670/bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide/p1
  • EMCOX5412
    EMCOX5412 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Thanks Noodle.. interesting...
  • mysticlizard
    Options
    A nice clear explanation.