Carrots on keto

illmatic7
illmatic7 Posts: 24 Member
just had some for dinner good or bad?decision I know there pretty starchy didn't have a crazy amount though

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    IIFYM
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    How many grams of carbs in your serving, and what percentage is that of your grams for the day? I eat vegetable soup from time to time, so a lot of little bits of veggies that aren't typically keto friendly, but in small enough of a total that's it's only about half my carbs for the day. 50g or carrots are only about 3.5nc - which is about one 5 inch long carrot.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    That, and pair any carby veggie like this with fats, and it is semi okay. Depends on quantity, preparation, and parings more than anything - plus how your body reacts... Some people can handle far more carbs and stay in ketosis than others.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    They are "starchier" than other veggies, but there are several veggies that have much higher net carbs. I say eat them if they don't cause cravings and fit into your carb goals. I like sauteed cabbage, but I'm lazy, so I buy the 3 color deli coleslaw bags and saute in bacon fat and butter and add salt. It has carrots in it along with green and red cabbage. The carrots add to the carb count, but I don't really care because it's small in the grand scheme of things. Now, if I was eating a whole bag of baby carrots, I'd worry about that a little. I also love peas. Peas are kind of starchy and higher carb, so I plan for them, and enjoy them on occasion. I also like spaghetti squash, which is supposedly a low carb veggie, but that is only if you eat a child size portion, and well, I want MORE so it comes up to a pretty big chunk of my carbs on days I eat it. I love veggies, though, so it's hard for me to restrict them sometimes.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Many of these veggies have high fiber counts also. SO when you look at the carbs (at least in the US) be sure to subtract the fiber to get the net carbs.