Up carb or fast?

Options
Almoshposh
Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
I've been on keto for roughly 8 weeks and I've lost about 5kg. It's slow going but I've committed to this way of eating and I'm determined to see it through. However life seems to have other ideas where I'm not working and my hubby has not had a good project in a while (we are both free lancers). Our budget is very tight and I'm not able to replenish my keto staples such as coconut oil, butter and HWC. We are having to have 2 or 3 vegetarian meals since meat is so expensive. I now have to choose either to raise my carbs to about 100g a day to have my regular 3 meals or to fast all day and have one keto friendly meal in the evening. I'm leaning towards the second potion because I've worked so hard to lose so little and I know I can gain it all back in a matter of days. Please help. The situation should be better in a couple of weeks as I have some work I'm expecting. Surely fasting for that long cannot be as bad as kicking myself out of keto. I don't want to have to do it all over again.

Replies

• greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    There are many ways of adding fasting into LCHF lifestyle. Some folks fast 16 hrs and eat within an 8 hour window, others do 18/6, and 20/4. Some fast 24 to 36 hours a couple days a week.
    I personally change it up - fasting 24 to 36, then following 16/8 a few days, then back to a 24-36. (I aim for 20 and keep extending it until I feel satisfied I have fasted long enough, but I try to fast at least 12). It is easier to fast after having been on keto for awhile because your body is already used to burning fat - glycogen stores are lower or depleted.
    One thing that has helped me stick to fasting is to keep it on a calendar - but if I don't fast one day, I don't beat myself up about it. I just aim to fast the next day. (Plus I have a record of success!)
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    100g will probably knock you out of high-keto for a bit, but it's not enough to gain water weight unless you eat it all at one meal.

Fasting will give you mega-ketones and will probably lead to more weight loss. It'll also make you more hungry the next day, so you'll be faced with the same problem once hunger strikes.

The level of ketones is really more about hunger control than weight loss, so if you feel your hunger is under control, I'd try the 100g carb and see how it goes.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    It'll also make you more hungry the next day, so you'll be faced with the same problem once hunger strikes.

Actually, this is not necessarily true. I have not been more hungry when fasting. In fact, sometimes I have to force myself to break the fast.
    For those wanting to try IF, I recommend starting with 12 hours (from dinner 8ish pm to breakfast 8ish ) During most of the fast you will be asleep. Then, if that works, keep extending the break to 9 or 10 or even noon!
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into cheaper sources of protein and fat? Eggs are usually cheap, butter, whole milk (not great, but it's something), fattier cuts of chicken... A couple eggs, some frozen spinach, and butter should be pretty cheap and keto. Meat also goes on sale, and you can freeze it for a while before cooking it. It's more money upfront but saves in the long run. Also, protein powder is cheap per a serving. Again, this is expensive up front. Good luck with everything!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Fat4Fuel2 wrote: »
    Have you looked into cheaper sources of protein and fat? Eggs are usually cheap, butter, whole milk (not great, but it's something), fattier cuts of chicken... A couple eggs, some frozen spinach, and butter should be pretty cheap and keto. Meat also goes on sale, and you can freeze it for a while before cooking it. It's more money upfront but saves in the long run. Also, protein powder is cheap per a serving. Again, this is expensive up front. Good luck with everything!

@Maikanyenga This is what I was going to suggest, too. I looked at your profile but couldn't tell where you were located. Eggs, definite. I can find tuna at a local store depending on sale week for $0.69 per can. With some mayo and relish, I'm set for lunch! Chicken leg quarters come in a bag, frozen, ten pounds for between $5-$8 depending on sale and store. I've never seen it for more than $8. I just rub some salt and pepper and maybe paprika on them and roast in the oven. A pat of butter or just olive oil, salt and pepper, eat that crispy skin, and I'm rocking and rolling. 10 pounds for $8 is cheaper than most veggies can be obtained. Plus you get bones to use to make bone broth to supplement your eating.

Particularly since you say you freelance, this might be easier. All the local stores (including walmart) put out their discounted meat (the use or freeze immediately stuff) in the morning. If you can hit up the shops each morning to catch the sales, you can get some great deals. I got a $3 cut of top round steak that was about a pound - I laid it lengthwise to cut it in half, then "filleted" each piece in a butterfly manner, then pounded them then. One piece I put grilled onions, green peppers, sauteed mushrooms, and swiss and munster cheese, rolled it up, seasoned it and baked it. The other piece I just stuffed with cream cheese, sharp cheddar, and seasonings and did the same thing. It fed my fiance (who eats like his has 4 stomachs and an empty leg) and I for two full meals. Two full meals for less than $4 of meat, plus staples I had on hand.

If you have an Aldi nearby, you can get full fat cream cheese for $1 each. Butter was $2.50 per pound. Etc. Staples like this are awesome. There is a brand of bacon called Covered Wagon bacon that sells it's ends and odd pieces in bulk, 10 pounds is usually around or less than $20, again, depending on sale or store. My local grocer this week has it for $15.90. If I go to "Save-A-lot" or "Buy-for-less," I can get some brands of bulk sausage for $1-$1.50 per tube regular price. Getting pepperoni, too, and making "faux" pizzas or eating it with cheese is another budget stretcher for me. I can also get chicken breast for $2 per pound - I just make an alfredo sauce to go on top (just a few bucks overall). Cheap beef patties at Aldi's were $6 for a 4 pound box...

Doing the primal egg coffee/tea we've been discussing in another thread has allowed me to stretch my morning out significantly. I use 1-1.5 TBSP of coconut oil in this - and LouAna refined coconut oil has a small container for $4.50 or so - that you can stretch into months using it this way. For heavy cream and sour cream, I hit up Walmart or Aldi, again. Walmart has the 32 oz HWC for $3.94 or something...

Honestly, I spend more money on the non-LCHF stuff for my fiance that I do on my LCHFMP/Keto stuff. You just have to get creative!! If you are out of the country, someone will have good ideas there, too.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    My income has dropped by 2/3 in the last 12 months. My bills haven't. I know what "tight" means. I buy ground beef, eggs, bacon, butter, cheese, frozen green beans etc. I eat eggs ALOT. Lunch most days. I don't have breakfast, I take a coffee with me to work with 20g or so of butter whipped into it. I buy the homebrand block butter (in Australia this is very good quality, no fillers added and very cheap). I don't bother with coconut oil most of the time, it's $20 for a jar. Just butter is fine. I also have a cuppa in the afternoon and one in the evening with butter whipped in. Stops me from getting too hungry. I also make my own mayo. 1 cup of olive oil, tspn of dijon mustard, an egg, lemon juice and some salt. You can add some garlic if you want. Whiz for 30 seconds or so with a stick blender, job done. Olive oil is not overly cheap but it's still less expensive than the $7 a jar for mayo.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    At this point eggs & bone-in skin-on chicken thighs should be your staples, not butter and HWC.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I vote for the fast. I do skip-a-day-of-eating (36 hours) (water only). And best of all, its free! Free fits your budget.

Weight loss is almost a guarantee. You may gain back a little the day after. But all in all, its a very healthy choice, as there are other health benefits besides the weight loss.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    My Blog: Intermittent Water Fasting & Keto
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs

• DarlingNikki2011
    DarlingNikki2011 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm a steady practitioner of the 18/6 method of intermittent fasting. This meaning I fast at around 10pm and don't eat again until 4pm. Now I should note that I don't get up most days until noon... So this is a lot easier for me. But when I started this it was where I was working a typical 9-5 shift and I still practiced the same thing. It is difficult at first because eating is a habit... But it's a lot easier with keto. Additionally, I do allow my self to drink coffee (even a bpc occasionally) in the morning. It's not an as wer for everyone, but I would say give it a try. If it isn't successful after a full faith effort, go ahead with the veggies.
  • Almoshposh
    Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the wonderful ideas. I realised I am being a little lazy on the thinking department :). I'll be out shopping for every meat bargain this weekend.

@KnitOrMiss I live in Johannesburg, South Africa so no Aldi here. The Walmart stores here are actually quite pricey. But the are a lot of local shops that all cheap cuts of meat.

@DittoDan Thanks for the encouragement. I'm definitely giving fasting a try. I have nothing to lose but the weight right :)