Have I Gained Muscle or Fat?

Options
arabianhorselover
arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
Hi. I had lost all my excess weight by July of last year. Since then I am up about four pounds. I have assumed it is fat, since over the holidays, etc. I did eat more. But how do I know for sure? Maybe I've actually gained muscle, since I wasn't eating at a deficit anymore?

Replies

• julielh72
    julielh72 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If your clothes are feeling tighter then it's most likely fat. It could be a combo of fat and muscle if you are lifting regularly. The best thing to to is to take body measurements regularly to keep track.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    My guess is that it's both. I have been lifting all along. As far as measurements, either fat or muscle would cause an increase, so how would that help?
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    The amount of space take up by muscle is different than the amount the same "weight" of fat does. That's why the common misguided phrase is "muscle weighs more than fat". It's not accurate because one pound is still one pound. However, the volume and density are different between the two, so you could gain the same amount weight wise but not see as much of an increase in inches with muscle compared to fat. That's why regular measurements are important because sometimes the scale doesn't show the desired results but the body will see some changes in varying places.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Well, I hadn't done any measurements for many months, but my thighs are now about an inch larger than they were when I last measured. . I hope that's muscle................
  • julielh72
    julielh72 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The waist measurement is the one to watch :smiley:
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    julielh72 wrote: »
    The waist measurement is the one to watch :smiley:

I suppose so, although when I gain I gain all over.

• DawnEmbers
    Options
    I wouldn't be too concerned at this stage just because it's a minor amount and even if you measure on a regular basis, you have to take into consideration there is a small margin for error. Like, I try to measure every month but on the 15th, I do my best to measure the exact same spot but it doesn't take much to be a little off. 4 lbs isn't a lot either and while a tiny bit might be fat, it's not going to change much. I recommend having a small weight range instead of one set number to try to maintain because of how body weight fluctuates. If you want to work on composition and use methods to test body fat, that's another way to go but overall, if numbers are going to be a concern, it does help to consistently measure over a long period of time to really see the big picture.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Well, as of my getting on the scale last night I know that I have gained fat, since there is no way I've gained 7 pounds of muscle over the last few months. I think it's all the things I eat that I have to guess the amount of calories in them. Like if I eat a piece of cake or cookie at church, or if I make something myself and don't take the time to really figure out the calorie count. It did motivate me to work harder last night, though.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Do you always weigh yourself at night? I tend to weigh a couple pounds more if I weigh in afternoon/night due to food and such. Not to discourage working hard, it's good to keep up the tracking and portions but have to keep factors consistent when possible. Like time of day you step on the scale.

Right that you wouldn't have gained 7 lbs of muscles in a few months as it takes effort to gain a few, and helps to be doing things in order to gain that amount even then. But you may not have gained that much of fat either if it's just a one time scale reading. But may be time to work on the maintenance numbers and trying to log more just to keep up the practice and making sure you're not going over too often if you're wanting to avoid increasing by much.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    I do still log. I'm afraid not to. Actually, I always weigh at the gym, and it's generally always the same time of day - around 4:30. I weigh before I work out, since I always weigh more after drinking water during my workout.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Jus as long as you're weighing at around the same time, that's fine. It's not efficient to compare a 5 pm weigh in with a 7 am one. I always weigh in the morning because I like seeing the smaller number than I would see at night. :wink:

For a small amount, online, it's going to be hard for us to say how much is what. Without having an accurate body fat measurement to work from, there are going to be some limitations too. One of my goals is to get a more accurate scan of body fat percentage once I'm down to a healthier weight for my height. But until then, got to make due with whatever measurements or methods will help show the changes. Scale, tape measure and progress pictures are all very useful, even if I hate having my picture taken.

I guess the real question is what are you trying to achieve at this time. Based on other threads, are you wanting to gain muscles, are you worried about gaining fat? It wouldn't hurt to maybe also look into the fear of not counting because that can become a problem if it gets out of hand. You want to still enjoy life.

If you're gaining at a very slow pace and you don't want to gain, then you can just adjust your maintenance calories by a very small degree. If it's all recent, then you have to look at what change might affect that, but again it's not a large number yet. A small gain after a year, not worth getting too stressed about. You do lift so that's going to be helpful and if it continues to climb then you make adjustments where necessary.

Most when wanting to gain muscle do end up bulking with the acceptance that some fat will be included that will later be reduced from spending time in a calorie deficit. But you have to know if that's your goal and follow through if that's what you want to aim for. There is recomp as well, but the changes take longer to see so the numbers won't be as drastic from month to month. All depends on nutrition first and routine/fitness works around that. Some do the same fitness routines/programs during cuts, gains and maintenance and the only thing that changes is the nutrition.

But of course, I'm just finding my way through and am no expert. I do wish you good luck and hope you figure out where you want to head as there are always different challenges we face.
  • fitnurse09
    fitnurse09 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Don't forget it the excess pounds could also be associated with water retention and hormones. :)