A Failure and a Discovery

Options
nikkib0103
nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
So, I decided to try JM 6 Week 6 Pack. I struggled with some of the moves and decided to stop before I hurt myself. I can't do burpees or walking planks just now. With the stench of failure wafting through the air, I suddenly remembered I had been dvr-ing Classical Stretch" The Esmonde Method. I picked one, 'Waist Slenderizing' and gave it a go. I worked just about every muscle and without pain. It's a mix between ballet (barre), yoga and tai chi. This particular routine was standing, no floor work. It was a surprisingly good stretch and I worked up some sweat. The fact is I have bad knees and am way too young for knee replacement. They feel better since I've lost some weight but they still don't lunge or squat well. I am going to go through the series and report back. Perhaps some of you might enjoy a good stretch as well. This program airs on WNYC25 here in NYC but I understand that it airs on numerous PBS stations around the country. There is also a website: www.classicalstretch.com.

Replies

• BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I'll check it out, I definitely need to do more stretching. I'm not ready for planking or the 6 pack thing either, not sure I will be. I've already had some minor pulls and strains for trying to do too much too soon, so I'm taking a cautious approach.
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    BRaye325 wrote: »
    I'll check it out, I definitely need to do more stretching. I'm not ready for planking or the 6 pack thing either, not sure I will be. I've already had some minor pulls and strains for trying to do too much too soon, so I'm taking a cautious approach.

I think this is a potential issue for some in our group. We WANT to Shred and do Insanity and whatnot but our bodies don't cooperate that well. Perhaps it is better to try a gentler route at first. I am walking every day and as I have about 15 episodes of this program recorded I believe I will do one of these every day and see where it gets me. I eat at deficit, burn around 290 calories on my morning walk (which I generally do not eat back). My problem is that I feel badly about my efforts. I think I am doing pretty well but I get sucked into believing I am not because I am not lifting heavy (I mostly use 3 pound weights when doing Beginner Shred, which features several moves that are very hard for me but I try anyway) and I don't go to the gym and circuit train. I walk, I do one section of T25 because, although I modify, I can keep up fairly well, and struggle along with Beginner Shred, and am still doing Level 1. At my age (51, not the 81 I sound like) you would think I would have learned NOT to compare myself to others or buy into whatever the forums are pushing at the moment. But, deep down, I am basically still a goober high schooler trying to be like the cool kids. LOL.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info nikki, I did the jm six pack DVD.. Really hard! The stretching DVD sounds good.
    I like jessica smith.. She does free exercise sessions on Utube. All levels, all abilities.
    She also does a walking exercise session.
  • Luthien007
    Luthien007 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I did Jm Shred - found it hard. I did C25K a couple of years ago and was running about 7-8km 3 times a week for 9 months or so then tapered off. Theres a facebook group for walk away the pounds that I joined recently. Yesterday someone posted looking for buddies to do a 14 week Couch Potato to 1/2 Marathon training -all in Leslie Sansone miles starting in June. I am considering.........
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    Luthien007 wrote: »
    I did Jm Shred - found it hard. I did C25K a couple of years ago and was running about 7-8km 3 times a week for 9 months or so then tapered off. Theres a facebook group for walk away the pounds that I joined recently. Yesterday someone posted looking for buddies to do a 14 week Couch Potato to 1/2 Marathon training -all in Leslie Sansone miles starting in June. I am considering.........

It might be fun if you enjoy running.. Have you ever competed in a marathon?.
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    BBee5064 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info nikki, I did the jm six pack DVD.. Really hard! The stretching DVD sounds good.
    I like jessica smith.. She does free exercise sessions on Utube. All levels, all abilities.
    She also does a walking exercise session.

I will have to check it out. thanks.
  • italy10548
    italy10548 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy "Classical Stretch". I like that Miranda's age is in the 60's and that she explains the stretches and what part of the body they work. I've learned so much from her because she really explains things as you go along. Just Know that she makes each workout look way easier than it is. I feel it's a good workout for me and compliments my 10k steps and swimming nicely. I can touch my toes again! It's helped my lower back and hips stay limber. Her feet and ankle workouts are awesome. I record it from local PBS station.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    italy10548 wrote: »
    I really enjoy "Classical Stretch". I like that Miranda's age is in the 60's and that she explains the stretches and what part of the body they work. I've learned so much from her because she really explains things as you go along. Just Know that she makes each workout look way easier than it is. I feel it's a good workout for me and compliments my 10k steps and swimming nicely. I can touch my toes again! It's helped my lower back and hips stay limber. Her feet and ankle workouts are awesome. I record it from local PBS station.

Sounds really good.. Will try & find it
  • Luthien007
    Luthien007 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    Luthien007 wrote: »

It might be fun if you enjoy running.. Have you ever competed in a marathon?.

No, never run in a race - not even a 5km. A marathon is way beyond me - I'm slow :)

• BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I did check out the Classical Stretch and I'm trying it,. I'll let you know how it goes.

Here is the link for the website those interested:

http://www.classicalstretch.com/