Dizzy spells when exercising

Options
minties82
minties82 Posts: 907 Member
edited May 2015 in Social Groups
Anyone else? I often get dizzy when weight lifting or doing something difficult (I walked up a mountain recently, lots of steps, and kept getting dizzy).

Could I be lacking something? I'm pretty content with my weight lifting technique for the most part, I'm remembering to breath.

I set a new 1RM for my deadlift the other day and thought I was gonna pass out when I completed the final rep. It was only 72.5kg. When I stood up from setting the bar down I got really dizzy. I used to have a 1RM of 80kg not that long ago :-(

I never used to get dizzy.

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Resistance, specifically, not cardio. My phys therapist said it's a temporary blood pressure fluctuation. I have other medical issues going on, though, so I don't know if that would be the explanation for everyone or just my circulation issues.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Well, low blood pressure would make you dizzy, but your blood pressure tends to increase during exercise.

My guess would be hypoglycemia. Weight lifting and other strenuous exercise is anaerobic -- it burns glucose. And you're probably already low on glucose/glycogen due to your diet.

Try eating something just before or just after. Some people do a little carb loading, but really any food should probably help.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I never even thought about low blood glucose. I have a glucose metre from when I had gestational diebetes and my readings are always between 4 mmol/L and 5.2 mmol/L (72 mg/dl to 93.6mg/dl). So not very high. I will make sure to eat something before working out now and see if it makes a difference.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    I never even thought about low blood glucose. I have a glucose metre from when I had gestational diebetes and my readings are always between 4 mmol/L and 5.2 mmol/L (72 mg/dl to 93.6mg/dl). So not very high. I will make sure to eat something before working out now and see if it makes a difference.

If that's at least 3 hours after you last ate, then that's actually right where it should be.
    wabmester wrote: »
    Well, low blood pressure would make you dizzy, but your blood pressure tends to increase during exercise.

My guess would be hypoglycemia. Weight lifting and other strenuous exercise is anaerobic -- it burns glucose. And you're probably already low on glucose/glycogen due to your diet.

Try eating something just before or just after. Some people do a little carb loading, but really any food should probably help.

Eh, it can still be blood pressure related. The level change itself can cause the pressure to drop suddenly. I can't do burpees because of that, and occasionally coming up from a squatting position will trigger it, too.

Glucose is an easy one to rule out, but don't be surprised if it's not a glucose issue.
  • winninglosing43
    winninglosing43 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This happened to me. I started drinking a small v8 or eating an avacado with pink salt before exercise sessions that were extended. Im not sure if it was the 6-12 carbs, potassium, or salt but it really helped.