Newbie question re: energy

Options
kgb6days
kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
I've recently started the 5:2 program - I'm a nurse in a very busy area and rarely sit all day. My step monitor will show <12,000 steps in an 8 hour period. I find that on my fasting days I am exhausted after work to the point of needing a nap. I'm not used to this, and wonder if it will improve as I get accustomed to the fasting. I don't really like the extreme tired feeling

Replies

• angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I am usually tired on my fasting day, but not to the point of needing a nap. Good luck
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this since the new year, and have found that the tiredness does improve, but not go away completely yet. I over indulged yesterday and feel more tired today than I did on Thursday, my last f/d.
  • cal0rina
    cal0rina Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse too and fast on days and nights. I actually find it easier at work and fasting frees up break times to get stuff done and I just make sure I always have handy water. When you get into the flow you will feel sharper and more focused and value that half hour extra you get. Also it means I can resist the temptation of chocolate at the nurses station
    Good luck
  • kgb6days
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Guess I need to adjust my activities for those fasting days. I do love the fact that I'm losing weight so easily. As a nurse it's not unusual to not get a lunch break, so that's not big to adjust to but you're right - there is always chocolate or doughnuts around.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you are like me you will find you adapt massively over time and energy levels on fast days feel the same as normal eating days eventually. I did over 1500cals of exercise on a fast day recently and felt fine.
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I found I got really tired when I saved all of my 500 cals for dinner. I needed to have some of my calories in the morning to not get to tired.
  • kgb6days
    Options
    Today was a fast day for me. I ran 4 miles this morning, had a 100 calorie protein drink for breakfast and made it fine through the day. Walked for lunch and had a great dinner. My energy seems to have adjusted just as you all suggested it would. Thanks!
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    wow - great improvement!!!