Antibiotics, or just coincidence? Bit of a stall.

Options
minties82
minties82 Posts: 907 Member
edited May 2015 in Social Groups
I had an abscess surgically removed about 7 weeks ago. The wound is stubborn to heal and so I was placed on antibiotics (augmentin) and my weight has basically remained the same ever since. I am eating at the same deficit.

I also have had two colds and some bad doms in that time but the doms is 90% gone now.

The previous weeks loss was 1.5kg (about 3 pounds).

Weights are in kg.

April 28th 89.3
April 29th 89.1
April 30th 88.2
May 1st 87.6 antibiotics started
May 2nd 87.6
May 3rd 87.6
May 4th 87.8
May 5th 87.6
May 6th 87.6
May 7th 87.4
May 8th 87.3
May 9th 87.1
May 10th 87.4 today

Here is my graph, recent and for the last 3 months. Does this seem normal to you guys? I have never had my weight stay the same like this. I am still a big person, my BMI is 39.something. If the antibiotics have done some harm, what can I do to reverse it?

2md5mao.jpg

4rcpef.jpg

Replies

• BookAngel_a
    BookAngel_a Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert but I would guess the antibiotics might have a little something to do with it, at least. It could also be a normal weight loss stall but any medicinal changes take the body some time to adjust to. You could try taking a probiotic (if you aren't already) to add back any good bacteria that the antibiotic took out of you, and see if you notice anything.
  • minties82
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I may give that a go, thanks. I have taken augmentin before and it possibly caused a stall then also, but not such a dramatic one. More like a 5 day one, which I guess isn't technically a stall, but I am not used to my weight staying the sane for so long.

I have 76lbs to go until my 'goal' weight so I probably should expect a slower loss now anyway? I started at 253 and am about 191 now.

After a 22m interval of jogging and walking my weight was 86.8kg but I won't take that as gospel.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    It doesn't look like your weight loss has stalled at all. You are steadily losing, and are averaging a weight loss result per week that would have many here envious. I wish mine would move that fast ! You are doing fine.

I agree with trying to rebuild your gut flora with probiotics. I am a kombucha fan myself. Give yourself some time to heal.
  • minties82
    Options
    Thanks very much. I don't mean to sound ungrateful for the loss I have had so far and realise I have been very successful. 200 grams in a week is still a down, I just feel a bit bummed out. That is what I usually lose a day. I guess I am just worried that it's going to continue for weeks on end which is silly.

I did up my exercise this week, set a new 1RM for deadlift, did squats benchpress snatch clean and jerk. Walked up a mountain. Did some aerobics. So I will just ignore the scale for a while.

Thanks for the perspective readjustment. I have been lucky.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I think it's possible to wish that the initial rapid weight loss would continue, but it is probably an unrealistic goal. When mine slows down, I tell myself that this means my weight loss was not just water weight, but this will be weight loss that will stick in the long run. It took me a long time to gain it, so it will take me a long time to lose it. And I'm not giving up, I'm committed to seeing this through, even if it takes my body longer to lose it. Just be patient Honey, it will all work out.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Stalls are common, antibiotics or not, but I'm a firm believer that antibiotics *uck us up royally. I realize you need to take them, but do what you can to counteract their awful effects. Some have already mentioned kombucha and probiotics (get a really strong one that is refrigerated). You can also eat sauerkraut on keto. I'd say kefir, but it's kinda high in carbs and usually has added sugar.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    If your antibiotics are REALLY good, you can lose a couple pounds just from killing massive numbers of bacteria. Those little buggers probably weigh around 5lbs in total. Don't kill them all, though. Some are useful. :)
  • minties82
    Options
    Haha! My mother once said a similar thing when I had worms, about them eating all the food in my intestines and helping me lose weight.

I have lost about 62lbs so far so think I am a bit past the water weight lost stage that people get at the beginning. My weight is down 800g since yesterday morning which is funny as the 10 day course is up. But obviously coincidence. Right? They antibiotics didn't even help anyway so a waste of money.