Stallers Unite!

Options
Almoshposh
Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
I've been in a stall for the past week and a half and the frustration is mounting. I find reading everyone's stall stories such a comfort but I hate having to hunt for them through all the other posts (although I thoroughly enjoy those too! ). I was kinda hoping all you stallers and plateauers could stop by here and tell your story. When the stall started, what you're doing to break it and any progress. Call me lazy but it would be nice to get that inspiration all in one place :) .

Replies

• Almoshposh
    Options
    I'll start with mine. I've been on keto for 8 weeks and I've lost 5.5kg in the first 6 weeks. But now nothing. I've been seeing the same number on that scale for the past 10 days. I'm staying to have dreams with 84.7 in them. Urghhhhh! I am getting smaller though so I keep that in mind every time i jump on it. I weigh myself almost daily so that I get comfortable with my daily fluctuations without freaking out. Which was all nice and good when I was consistently losing 700g a week. I'm not really doing anything to break the stall, just KCKOing as much as I can. Thinking of starting to lift weights though. Has that helped anyone?
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    It's really not a stall if it's less than a month. Anything less than a month is just natural expected scale variance. Personally, I had periods of 1-3 weeks where there was no dramatic changes on the scale. That's when I was losing a lot of weight, too. Looking back at the charts, it's hard to even see those flat spots. Currently, I am up in weight and holding steady there for about the last two weeks. Mostly thanks to cheese and dairy. I don't really count because the weight I am at is one I am happy with. Losing more would only be extra.

Stall-breaking is mostly superstition centered around coincidence. Someone was going to start dropping on the scale again, regardless, but they attribute it to some change that they made because they got frustrated with waiting. Real changes take weeks of consistent application before results show up.

Be patient. Keep eating right. Give your body time to do what it's going to do. And, most of all, remember that everyone goes through it as part of their journey. If you're eating right, good things are happening in your body even if the scale isn't reflecting the numbers you want.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I'm 3.5 months in, I've lost and gained about 2 lb here and there but I've lost inches as well, so that's the biggest indication for me. My weight has been going down, no real stalls here as I read other posters stories. I haven't done anything major but I keep adjusting my calories and increased water intake. If you workout you're also gaining muscles which is a good thing and it will effect your weight. You need to give it more time and be patient. The most important is a health benefit and overall feeling on this woe. Hang in there and my best wishes!
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I had a a 3-4 week stall and was soooo discouraged but I stuck with it and didn't really change much as far as eating and exercising. The scale eventually started to move again. It WILL for you too. Keep the faith, it just takes time.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    You lost 5.5Kg in 6 weeks? That's 2lbs per week. Not exactly what I'd call a stall. :)

I'd guess that most women will lose weight somewhat based on their monthly cycle. If you exercise, it'll seem even slower due to the increase in muscle and water masking some of the fat loss.

LC is famous for great weight loss, but where it really shines is hunger loss. If your cravings are reduced and your hunger is reduced, you have won 90% of the battle. The rest is just time.
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My longest stall was 3 months, but I just went three weeks on another. Measure yourself... you may be in the process of losing inches right now. Either way its a win.
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    When I first changed my eating and exercising habits I lost fast, 26lbs the first month, 21lbs the second month, then 7lbs in the third month. During the third month the scale would go up and down, I kept loosing and gaining the same few pounds. i was frustrated because I had been working out more than usual, and taking in fewer and fewer calories. I was bummed when I learned I lost 7lbs compared to the previous months loses. I changed to a low carb lifestyle and the weight starting coming off again, I lost 12lbs that month. I feel like I'm at some type of stall now, loosing and gaining those same few pounds again.

• radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Stall-breaking is mostly superstition centered around coincidence.

This is a great point. I have certainly founde myself tweaking things, looking for problems during a stall, and it makes me feel better to tweak things even as I know patience is all I need. I just mainly caution against anything drastic, if you want to tweak, do something small that you may generally have wanted to do as an improvement anyway for some other reason than just weight loss.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    A stall for ME is 3+ days with no change. I just had a 9 day stall but this morning dropped 800g. Didn't do anything different :-).

If I went a month with no change I would be going bananas.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    It's really not a stall if it's less than a month. Anything less than a month is just natural expected scale variance. Personally, I had periods of 1-3 weeks where there was no dramatic changes on the scale. That's when I was losing a lot of weight, too. Looking back at the charts, it's hard to even see those flat spots. Currently, I am up in weight and holding steady there for about the last two weeks. Mostly thanks to cheese and dairy. I don't really count because the weight I am at is one I am happy with. Losing more would only be extra.

Stall-breaking is mostly superstition centered around coincidence. Someone was going to start dropping on the scale again, regardless, but they attribute it to some change that they made because they got frustrated with waiting. Real changes take weeks of consistent application before results show up.

Be patient. Keep eating right. Give your body time to do what it's going to do. And, most of all, remember that everyone goes through it as part of their journey. If you're eating right, good things are happening in your body even if the scale isn't reflecting the numbers you want.

This is so good, Goat. We stallers need to etch this on our foreheads. :)
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    A stall for ME is 3+ days with no change. I just had a 9 day stall but this morning dropped 800g. Didn't do anything different :-).

If I went a month with no change I would be going bananas.

This definition of a stall will lead to frustration and misery. You need to account for how much variance scale weights can have and compare that to the amount you can expect to lose. It is not uncommon to see weights vary by 3-5 pounds each day. For someone losing two pounds a week, which would be faster than most, they couldn't differentiate between a stall or variance for at least three weeks. People losing at a slower rate will take even longer to know if they are stalled or not.

Edit: the fact that you had an 800g drop after 9 days without changing anything is just proof that considering three days to be a stall is too short. You obviously weren't stalled, it just wasn't showing on the scale.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Through trends I now see that I lose weight one week a month. I will either stay the same, or see an increase that's up to 5 pounds (not fun, but is my normal) then will see a drop in the fourth week. I agree with Goat, these aren't true stalls, these are the way our bodies lose mass. This would make me give up on my wasted efforts (I thought they were when the scale didn't move or increased) many times in the past. I just stay the course now and keep doing what's right for me! No stress, it's not worth it. Keep doing what's right for you and you will see loss!
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I'd call what's going on with me a stall. I've lost 4 lbs in 5 months. I don't have a ton of weight lose (20-30lbs), and I lift heavy weights. It has been extremely frustrating on the scale. My measurements and clothes also don't change fast enough for me to really see or feel changes. I see the most changes in the mirror (which is the best IMO). However, those aren't always apparent. I have to hunt for them. Even now, 5 months later, comparing my starting pictures to ones from today, I can't see a ton of changes. However, I know that if I keep going and I stay consistent, changes will be made and seen. My face, legs, and back look just a tad slimmer. I have a bit more tone in my arms. However, I've gone from barely being able to bench the bar, to being able to do it comfortably with 20lbs on each side. I've gone from squatting with 35lbs on each side to 55lbs on each side. I see the most change in the gym which isn't even visible on my body. It is because of this that I am trusting my body and the process, and I know I will get to where I want to be as long as I keep going.

I have 4 superstitions that I've put into place from now on for "stalls" (i.e. impatience).
    1. Take more rest from the gym and get more sleep - I have a long busy day, and it's hard for me to unwind and go to bed early when I need to.
    2. No Dairy - I was slightly lactose intolerant before going Keto, so it makes sense it would bloat me now.
    3. Intermittent Fasting - This also goes with intuitive eating. Just listen to you body. Eat when hungry, don't eat when you're not. I have to follow an eating schedule during the week b/c I work as a teacher. If I don't eat during my allotted time, I pretty much don't until the end of the day. This also meant for me that I ate very low calorie some days, and higher calories other days so the week evened out.
    4. Carb Night/Day - Mental break and Leptin levels.

I think some of these stall breakers are just things to do to shake your body up out of a routine. The body is great at adapting, so making changes gives your body a challenge. If stall breakers really work, I think it's about that, making a change, rather than what change you end up making. Of course this is all my opinion with out any facts to back it up.
  • Almoshposh
    Options
    Thank you all for your insights. They definitely put a new perspective on it. The scale is still stuck :D but I'll hang in there knowing it will move soon. I've started wogging (my hubby's term for my attempts at jogging. He says I jog at walking pace! ) and easing in some weights so that will probably cause a gain. Ah well. ..
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your insights. They definitely put a new perspective on it. The scale is still stuck :D but I'll hang in there knowing it will move soon. I've started wogging (my hubby's term for my attempts at jogging. He says I jog at walking pace! ) and easing in some weights so that will probably cause a gain. Ah well. ..

Haha, I love that term wogging! :smiley:
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My scale went down to 241.8 back at the end of March. Since then I've been yo-yo-ing or kind of staying static. But I know what I'm doing is working. I lost almost two pants sizes since I started on January 15th.

Since 4/1 or so, I have not lost any weight. In fact, I've gained. I'm at 245.8 as of today. I've gone up and down, but never breaking back close through that number.

The things I use to console myself are that it isn't a "true" weigh. I've gained roughly 4-6 pounds overall, but I know it isn't a true 6 pounds, because 6 pounds ago, I didn't fit comfortably in these jeans.

However, I have noted that I've started having more "keto friendly desserts" rather than just the fat bombs I was making. I'm trying to put that to a halt. I'm willing to take the smaller hit from sugar alcohols in gum to see if I can defeat the true urge/habit here. I know it is still a substitute, but if I can make myself realize that I'm not really hungry, it's a mental thing - and I can SOLVE that mental part with the gum for now, stepping down again later will help.

I'm doing a sort modified fasting since adding my Primal Loaded Tea, and it is amazing to just really finally not feel hungry! I have added the sweetener back in, but combining it with salt and less heavy cream, oh, and making my tea stronger (not a coffee drinker), it is still coming out as less of a carb hit - and less craving triggers.

My bloodwork all came back better, so I know this way of eating is good for my health, so I'm really just going to keep at it for a while. If I get to the end of June and my body doesn't catch up, I'll change something. For now, I'm really just focusing on reducing stress (nearly impossible - but just trying to learn better management tools), getting more sleep, and keeping up with my water (which for some reason has gone back to being a daily struggle).

I do know that I am still insulin resistant and not currently using medication for this outside of diet (which also explains why the extra "on-plan" desserts are having more impact that the same volume of bacon). Some days the scale makes me want to go a little loco, but I remember, I am feeling good overall, and that is a win. As long as I continue to feel awesome eating this way, even if everything else is straggling behind, I'm unlikely to alter my diet, as I was miserable before... I can't even quantify the difference.

I also figure that my body is attempting to do some more repair work. I know it is still dissipating more toxins, as I can feel the tension and discomfort intermittently in my joints...

And trust me, I have my down/angry/insane days with this... But, I still feel good. Even having a horrible morning, I was looking more forward to my Loaded Tea than to trying to find something to binge on, and that's a heck of a change for me....

Besides, I keep reminding myself to step back and look at the big picture. I used to weigh 319. I don't weigh that anymore. I don't even weigh 300 pounds anymore. I weigh roughly around 245, and that is something I'm damned proud of...

My fiance calls it "fat girl jogging" and chuckles when I do it. I can only imagine how funny it looks. And please don't anyone be offended by this term. He very affectionately calls me his "short little fat girl," so I promise it is a term of endearment, and never makes me feel bad. I love that we're confident enough in our relationship that he can lovingly tease me like this, because he knew me at my worst - and beside, then I get to remind him that he's just a "dirty old man." (He's all of 42, but again, it's our joke...
  • Almoshposh
    Options
    I've had s bit of a whoosh in the last two days with a total of 1.2kg down. :) . It came as a surprise because I've stated excercising and was fully expecting to gain. *little dance here*

Please keep you stall stories coming in. I know I'll need them again one day.
  • SazzySuze
    SazzySuze Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Does gaining and losing the same pound over and over count as a stall? It certainly doesn't feel like progress. Been at this woe for less than a month and only lost about 3 pounds.
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I qu
    SazzySuze wrote: »
    Does gaining and losing the same pound over and over count as a stall? It certainly doesn't feel like progress. Been at this woe for less than a month and only lost about 3 pounds.

I am not bashing MFP just stating fact for me. I quit logging my foods on MFP and went to logging on fitday March 14. I was constantly losing and gaining the same three to five pounds over and over and over. So frustrating. I think there are too many user entries on MFP that are not accurate. Since then with no change in my foods just more accurate logging I have lost 13 pounds and no more big bouncing up and down.

Good luck.
  • SazzySuze
    SazzySuze Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I qu
    SazzySuze wrote: »

I am not bashing MFP just stating fact for me. I quit logging my foods on MFP and went to logging on fitday March 14. I was constantly losing and gaining the same three to five pounds over and over and over. So frustrating. I think there are too many user entries on MFP that are not accurate. Since then with no change in my foods just more accurate logging I have lost 13 pounds and no more big bouncing up and down.

Good luck.
    What is fitday?
    Also, I weigh everything and check it with the usda website. But you're right. There are WAY too many user entries on MFP. And a lot of the ones that say "verified" won't even log onto my meals, so that's utterly useless.