Weekend Discouragement

Options
SazzySuze
SazzySuze Posts: 119 Member
Every week I lose 1-2 pounds and every weekend I gain it all back. I'm beginning to really hate weekends. I thought it was the restaurants we were going to so we stopped going out and started grilling on the weekends so I know for a fact what I'm eating and nothing is hiding in the sauce, so to speak. Still gained my weight back. So then I thought well maybe it's the alcohol that is ruining me. So yesterday not a drop of that lusciousness, either. And I still gained my weight back. Those were the two things I looked forward to on the weekends, eating out and alcohol. Now they are both gone and it's not helping. Wtf am I doing wrong? Yesterday I weighed all my food, logged it, etc. Was under my calories, under my carbs...all good things. And I still wake up to a pound gain which is what I averaged losing last week. I have been doing low carb for about a month but didn't start logging til a few weeks ago. I have no problem losing through the week but weekends somehow screw me over every time. I hate weekends now. I'm not even kidding. Feeling like I don't have much to look forward to, not even a permanent loss. Can anyone help me?

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    You're only a month in. Give it time. And, ignore things like daily changes on the scale. What was your average weight for all 7 days the week you started? What was your average weight for all 7 days this last week? If that shows your weight going in the right direction, don't stress about weekend.
  • SazzySuze
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    You're only a month in. Give it time. And, ignore things like daily changes on the scale. What was your average weight for all 7 days the week you started? What was your average weight for all 7 days this last week? If that shows your weight going in the right direction, don't stress about weekend.
    165 pounds was the average for the first week. 162 pounds was the average this week. So 3 pounds? What's going on here? I see most people saying they lose 3 times that much just in water weight alone. I guess 3 pounds is 3 pounds but if I weren't gaining it back every weekend, I'd have lost over 12 pounds by now. Is there not anything I can do to stop this from happening?
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    What's your carb intake per day in grams?
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Some people have more water weight to lose. Some people have more pressing issues their body wants to deal with before the excess (and mostly benign) fat stores. Each person will lose at their own rate. Everyone envies those who lose it quickly (even I did). But, it doesn't happen for everyone. I didn't get a huge loss at first. Those with the biggest initial losses seem to run into longer stalls a month or two into the process, which evens it all out.

The short answer to your last question is, "no." Your body is in charge of this process and it will do things at the pace it wants. Attempts to force the issue usually backfire and slow the whole process down in the long term. You didn't put the weight on in a couple months, give your body time to take it off while ensuring health.
  • SazzySuze
    Options
    What's your carb intake per day in grams?
    I have it set for 56g but I usually average around 15-30 Total carbs. Yesterday was 14 total carbs, 11 NET. Gained a pound. :(
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I started a lot heavier than you (over 200 pounds) and lost a grand total of about 5 pounds the first month. Would I have liked it faster? Sure. Would I trade faster start, but unsustainable losses, for the results that I did get (slow, mostly steady, and permanent)? Not a chance.
  • SazzySuze
    Options
    Some people have more water weight to lose. Some people have more pressing issues their body wants to deal with before the excess (and mostly benign) fat stores. Each person will lose at their own rate. Everyone envies those who lose it quickly (even I did). But, it doesn't happen for everyone. I didn't get a huge loss at first. Those with the biggest initial losses seem to run into longer stalls a month or two into the process, which evens it all out.

The short answer to your last question is, "no." Your body is in charge of this process and it will do things at the pace it wants. Attempts to force the issue usually backfire and slow the whole process down in the long term. You didn't put the weight on in a couple months, give your body time to take it off while ensuring health.
    disheartening to think I can't do anything about it but thank you for your honesty

• GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Maybe try to lower your carbs and drink tons of water, your body might be retaining it. I can't see your diaries so I don't know what you're eating. You need to be patient and give it time. Stop weighting daily, you'll drive yourself nuts!
    Do you work out, and gaining muscles? Do you lose inches? Those are better indications of your progress than the scale.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. You didn't gain your fat in a few weeks, and you're not going to lose it in a few weeks.

Everyone has their "own row to hoe" and so I would straight up ignore the claims of weight loss rates by others. (a) i think they're often exaggerated either due to most being water weight or people just being excited and catching the scale at the right time and (b) that's their body, their food, and their lifestyle, not yours.

re: your weekends and restaurants and alcohol, I would examine what about those things you look forward to. Not to read between the lines too much, but it sounds a bit like you enjoyed the "cutting loose" aspect. Well, unfortunately, "cutting loose won't cut it" if you're trying to lose fat. Maybe attempt to reframe your leisure activities, and focus on the friendship of those you're with and the activities you're sharing, rather than the food & drink aspect of the gatherings.
  • SazzySuze
    Options
    itcphotog wrote: »
    Maybe try to lower your carbs and drink tons of water, your body might be retaining it. I can't see your diaries so I don't know what you're eating. You need to be patient and give it time. Stop weighting daily, you'll drive yourself nuts!
    Do you work out, and gaining muscles? Do you lose inches? Those are better indications of your progress than the scale.
    My diary settings are set to public. I just double checked. Not sure why you can't see it. Sorry about that. I'm actually eating lower carbs and more meat on weekends. .which is when I'm gaining the weight. I guess that's why it's so confusing. Yesterday was my lowest carb day for the whole week, I think. I am not exercising but perhaps that would help. I need to find something I can do with a toddler in tow. I'm not sure about inches. But I look and feel exactly like I did when I first started and my pants don't feel any looser.
  • jabegakis
    jabegakis Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I completely understand the frustration of the diet roller coaster, especially as women who enjoys socializing on the weekends.
    Have you tried to schedule more intense workouts on the weekends?
    I found that if I planned a long cardio or weight training session on Saturdays and Sundays I saw my performance level increase and my weight stabilize. I suspect it is because I tend to consume more kcal on Friday and Saturday nights and my body thrives on all the extra fuel the next morning.
    If your not into hard core exercise, try to plan long hikes with your girl friends on Saturday or Sunday - followed with brunch of course.
    Hope that helps!
  • SazzySuze
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Weight loss is not linear. You didn't gain your fat in a few weeks, and you're not going to lose it in a few weeks.

Everyone has their "own row to hoe" and so I would straight up ignore the claims of weight loss rates by others. (a) i think they're often exaggerated either due to most being water weight or people just being excited and catching the scale at the right time and (b) that's their body, their food, and their lifestyle, not yours.

re: your weekends and restaurants and alcohol, I would examine what about those things you look forward to. Not to read between the lines too much, but it sounds a bit like you enjoyed the "cutting loose" aspect. Well, unfortunately, "cutting loose won't cut it" if you're trying to lose fat. Maybe attempt to reframe your leisure activities, and focus on the friendship of those you're with and the activities you're sharing, rather than the food & drink aspect of the gatherings.

I know I'm not going to lose it all in a month. I'm just discouraged because I'm not seeing any progress. What I looked forward to about the restaurants is that's the only time off that I have from the kitchen. I feel like I'm constantly in the kitchen cooking for me and everyone else and the weekends were like my break. What I looked forward to with the alcohol was my time to unwind from a long week after my daughter went to bed. As far as enjoying the company, some things are more enjoyable slightly intoxicated rather than not. My pain tolerance is heightened and my inhibitions lowered. The "gatherings" you are talking about is just me and my partner. We have only been able to get a babysitter once in almost three years. We are trying to do different things instead of our usual with alcohol. Last night that consisted of him playing on the computer while I watch an episode of Bates Motel. Fun fun huh
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    SazzySuze wrote: »
    My diary settings are set to public. I just double checked. Not sure why you can't see it. Sorry about that. I'm actually eating lower carbs and more meat on weekends. .which is when I'm gaining the weight. I guess that's why it's so confusing. Yesterday was my lowest carb day for the whole week, I think. I am not exercising but perhaps that would help. I need to find something I can do with a toddler in tow. I'm not sure about inches. But I look and feel exactly like I did when I first started and my pants don't feel any looser.

Sorry, I still can't see your diary, you're welcome to friend me :)
    I understand getting away from kids, that's probably exhausting. I can't comment on alcohol as my drinking days are very few and in between. I miss my good dark beer but I can't afford it until I get to where I'm going, yes, I have a lot of will power to better myself and no drinking going to help.
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options

I know I'm not going to lose it all in a month. I'm just discouraged because I'm not seeing any progress. What I looked forward to about the restaurants is that's the only time off that I have from the kitchen. I feel like I'm constantly in the kitchen cooking for me and everyone else and the weekends were like my break. What I looked forward to with the alcohol was my time to unwind from a long week after my daughter went to bed. As far as enjoying the company, some things are more enjoyable slightly intoxicated rather than not. My pain tolerance is heightened and my inhibitions lowered. The "gatherings" you are talking about is just me and my partner. We have only been able to get a babysitter once in almost three years. We are trying to do different things instead of our usual with alcohol. Last night that consisted of him playing on the computer while I watch an episode of Bates Motel. Fun fun huh

As a mom of three under the age of 8, I hear you loud and clear. I'm not worrying about this weekend but I did initially lay off the wine but then again my sanity is more important and hey, if your carbs read low then I'd call that a successful weekend. I try to get out and walk with the youngest but that can turn on a dime. Here's what works for me after trial and error: join the YMCA, they can watch your toddler for an hour of you time and you are never more than 10 feet away from the care center. It cost about 80$ a month for a family of five where I am and it has really helped my sanity level. Also, happy mother's day, don't get discouraged.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Those with the biggest initial losses seem to run into longer stalls a month or two into the process, which evens it all out.

I'm going to second the part about rapid loss in the beginning leading into stalls. In my first 6-8 weeks I lost 20 pounds, now I'm fighting just to keep the scale from going up. Don't stress, stress kills weightloss efforts.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can expect to lose 12lbs water weight in the first two weeks when you only weight 165lbs. If you're 250lbs maybe. You also said you've been low carbing for a month but didn't start logging til a few weeks ago. What's a few weeks? You need to give it time. You need to record everything, and be consistent.
  • SazzySuze
    Options
    jabegakis wrote: »
    I completely understand the frustration of the diet roller coaster, especially as women who enjoys socializing on the weekends.
    Have you tried to schedule more intense workouts on the weekends?
    I found that if I planned a long cardio or weight training session on Saturdays and Sundays I saw my performance level increase and my weight stabilize. I suspect it is because I tend to consume more kcal on Friday and Saturday nights and my body thrives on all the extra fuel the next morning.
    If your not into hard core exercise, try to plan long hikes with your girl friends on Saturday or Sunday - followed with brunch of course.
    Hope that helps!
    No, I haven't tried incorporating any exercise on the weekends. :/ I should probably at least get a decent walk in every day.
  • SazzySuze
    Options

Sorry, I still can't see your diary, you're welcome to friend me :)
    I understand getting away from kids, that's probably exhausting. I can't comment on alcohol as my drinking days are very few and in between. I miss my good dark beer but I can't afford it until I get to where I'm going, yes, I have a lot of will power to better myself and no drinking going to help.
    I sent you a friend request. Thanks!
  • SazzySuze
    Options

As a mom of three under the age of 8, I hear you loud and clear. I'm not worrying about this weekend but I did initially lay off the wine but then again my sanity is more important and hey, if your carbs read low then I'd call that a successful weekend. I try to get out and walk with the youngest but that can turn on a dime. Here's what works for me after trial and error: join the YMCA, they can watch your toddler for an hour of you time and you are never more than 10 feet away from the care center. It cost about 80$ a month for a family of five where I am and it has really helped my sanity level. Also, happy mother's day, don't get discouraged.

Thanks so much. Happy Mother's Day to you, too! The YMCA wouldn't be a bad deal but I'm not sure if we can afford it at the moment. We just signed our daughter up for daycare last Friday and she starts in a week. It costs more than I was hoping to pay, but I've been looking for work and recently had to turn down a nice job offer because I couldn't get childcare with only a day's notice. When she goes to daycare I should be able to get out and walk till my heart's content, though. I could take her with me before then but she doesn't walk fast enough for me to get my heart rate up.
  • SazzySuze
    Options
    shai74 wrote: »
    I don't think you can expect to lose 12lbs water weight in the first two weeks when you only weight 165lbs. If you're 250lbs maybe. You also said you've been low carbing for a month but didn't start logging til a few weeks ago. What's a few weeks? You need to give it time. You need to record everything, and be consistent.
    I'm not necessarily expecting to lose 12 pounds water weight. I was just expecting the weight that I've lost to not return on weekends. If I had no gain and no loss on weekends, then I'd be 12 pounds lighter now. I guess I should have been more clear. A few weeks ... I've been logging for 19 days. I am very a*al about recording things now. If I have even a piece of lettuce, I log it.