Working back up after a month in China ans no pool.

Options
fishgutzy
fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
Got back home at 1AM Friday.
Managed to make 90 laps. 100 laps yesterday.
Y opens in 2 hours. Will shoot for my normal 120 laps.
Pace if off too.
Worst part though is that I'll lose it all again soon because I have another effing trip in mid June. for a month again.

Replies

• Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Gutzy - I go through the same thing when I miss an extended amount of time like that, what I find is that I feel rusty for a bit when I first get back in but it evens out pretty quickly. I don't worry as much about my pace for those first few workouts & I let my body guide me on my rest intervals between sets, before long I'm right back where I was....
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Got to 120 this morning. Also got my stroke count back in the 18-20 range. The focus I need to stay in that range adds to the mental therapeutic value of swimming to my overall health.
    It felt good.
    I want to do at least one 10km swim before the next China trip which will likely be in June.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Gutzy!
    What you call rusty is what I call fantastic!
    Lol!
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Thanks.
    I ended up having to take a rest day on Sunday. My shoulders were really feeling the Friday Saturday swims in my shoulders. It was as if I hadn't worked out in a month :)
    I'm glad to be back. Not looking forward to the next trip. But then only single unattached and those with unhappy home lives enjoy business travel.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I was out of the water for 2 & 1/2 weeks and I can still do my normal 3 miles, but I am really sore the next day. It is very important to get enough rest when you're rebuilding. It's the fastest way to get back to where you were and then some.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    I know the feeling. I was out of the water for 2 & 1/2 weeks and I can still do my normal 3 miles, but I am really sore the next day. It is very important to get enough rest when you're rebuilding. It's the fastest way to get back to where you were and then some.
    The first 15 laps is the hardest now. Stop at 20 to stretch my shoulders and lats. More effective than cold stretching. Then I'm good for the next 100. :)
    I want to get in at least one 10km swim before the next trip. And maybe even a 12 or 13km. My summer goal is 10 miles (352 laps) which is about 16km. 16.09km to be more precise.
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Gutzy - I need to do the same thing to stretch, I do it after my first 250 yards. I find it much easier to get a better stretch after I get the blood flowing a little bit.....
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Macstraw wrote: »
    Gutzy - I need to do the same thing to stretch, I do it after my first 250 yards. I find it much easier to get a better stretch after I get the blood flowing a little bit.....
    Totally. Warm muscles stretch better :)
  • Macstraw
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Macstraw wrote: »
    Totally. Warm muscles stretch better :)

Especially old muscles.......
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    The first 15 laps is the hardest now. Stop at 20 to stretch my shoulders and lats. More effective than cold stretching. Then I'm good for the next 100. :)
    I want to get in at least one 10km swim before the next trip. And maybe even a 12 or 13km. My summer goal is 10 miles (352 laps) which is about 16km. 16.09km to be more precise.
    Oh no you just reminded me about my year end goal!
    Had forgotten about it for a few months there!!!
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Oh no you just reminded me about my year end goal!
    Had forgotten about it for a few months there!!!
    It is looking like I won't make the 900 mile goal unless I can really kick it up more. 242 miles so far. But given that I was sick for a week and in China for a month of no swimming that isn't too bad.
    If I do my 3.4 miles minimum every day that I'm no sick or in China, I might just make it. Throw in a few 5 mile days. And with perserverence some 8 and 10's. :dizzy:

• fishgutzy
    Options
    June 4 to July 2 back in China.
    Maybe I'll be in Shanghai this time. Close to a pool.
    It is a trade off. The Shanghai apartment has a small kitchen but no fridge and no utensils at all. and no water purifier. So more eating crap food out.
    Small sacrifice for being able to feed my chlorine addiction.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Why not eat out healthy food? Is that hard to find in Shanghai?
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Why not eat out healthy food? Is that hard to find in Shanghai?
    Hard to find any supermarket in Shanghai. No fridge in the Shanghai apartment. No cooking utensils either.
    I'll have to use the company cash they give me to outfit it next trip if I stay there.
    Then I'll have to have cue cards made up for a taxi for the nearest 'real' supermarket and the apartment address.

Also picked up a pair of "Approach" shoes for the long walks. 5.10 is the brand. But they are definitely not indoor shoes. The sole black mark way to easily. My wife got mad at me yesterday before I noticed all the back marks.
    But the sole is the stiffest I have ever found in a non hiking boot. That will reduce toe flex.
    Also got 4 boxes of protein bars, a bag of protein powder, two 40 ounce bags of coffee. Coffee is over $30 a pound there.