Fighting that Fatigue

Options
jabegakis
jabegakis Posts: 4 Member
Hi low carbers!
I wanted to open the floor to a dialogue about low carb fatigue - we've all felt it at some point.
I'm a women in her 20s and I find that my carb-related fatigue sets in much faster than my male counterparts. I go for high-HIGH protein and lots of water, but around day 4 or 5 of a 20g carb diet I undoubtably slip into the doldrums. Please help! Especially my fellow female low carbers, I would love some tips and tricks to stave off the carbless crash.
Cheers!

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Sodium, sodium, and a dash more of sodium. LC makes you pee ketones. Ketones are negative ions. Sodium is a positive ion, and it hitches on for the ride. You're losing lots of sodium in your pee, and it makes you feel bad. Eat a pickle ASAP. Not a little slice either -- a full dill pickle.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I'd also consider raising your carbs a little to see if that helps if the sodium doesn't -- even if you doubled your carb allowance to 40g that's still very low but allows for a lot more fruit and vegetable variety.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    What is your fat macro. If it's not high enough, you will feel like you are hungry all the time too! But yes, get your sodium, will help with the fatigue! Don't be afraid of salt, it's now your friend!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Energy come from 2 sources, the first and easiest is carbs, the second and harder is fat. You have reduced carbs, you must increase fat... No carbs and no fat equals no energy.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    You said high-High protein, how high exactly? This WOE is NOT high protein. You need high fat and moderate protein, or you will be losing muscle and causing yourself problems. How long have you been eating low carb? Do you keep track of your electrolytes?
  • jabegakis
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Sodium, sodium, and a dash more of sodium. LC makes you pee ketones. Ketones are negative ions. Sodium is a positive ion, and it hitches on for the ride. You're losing lots of sodium in your pee, and it makes you feel bad. Eat a pickle ASAP. Not a little slice either -- a full dill pickle.
    Thanks so much! I've never thought of that. I love pickles too so win-win
  • jabegakis
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    What is your fat macro. If it's not high enough, you will feel like you are hungry all the time too! But yes, get your sodium, will help with the fatigue! Don't be afraid of salt, it's now your friend!
    Majority of my fat source is eggs. I eat eggs two meals every day. I'll keep the fat balance in mind, I could probably use some more good fat -- like salmon. Thanks!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Can't see your food diary, but more fat than you think is "good fat" eg butter, cream, the fat on meat... all those things we were told were bad for us are actually good for us on this WOE when you restrict carbs. Don't only eat those good fats like salmon and other oily fish - they are lovely too but less filling. During your first week or two of adapting to low carb, don't worry about calories, just make sure you are eating enough to feel full. Trying to restrict calories too much during adaptation will definitely make you feel bad.

Good luck.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Don't forget butter and hwc for fat sources, and avocado is great too! Salmon is good, but I agree, not very filling or sustaining.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I use butter and hwc in my eggs. I cook with butter instead of nonstick sprays and put the hwc in the eggs before I scramble them or make an omelette.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    I second Karlotta, but I also melt a bit of butter on top of the scrambled eggs after they're done cooking....yum !
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Oh yes @Kitnthecat, I put some more butter on top, when cooked and is sooooo good! Okay, time to cook some eggs! Lol!