Let's Squat!

Options
samko1976
samko1976 Posts: 125 Member
http://www.buzzfeed.com/sallytamarkin/take-buzzfeeds-squat-challenge

Anybody want to join me in some very unladylike squatting over the next 27 days. :blush:
I'll be starting tomorrow but anyone can join whenever. Feel free to friend me too

Replies

• plumwd
    plumwd Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I do squats as part of my regular lifting routine. So nice for the booty!
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. Bad knee might make it tough at first but count me in.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Sk8Kate wrote: »
    Sounds good. Bad knee might make it tough at first but count me in.

Check out Mark Rippetoe's videos on squat mechanics. If you can do a full squat (see how toddlers squat for reference), it should make the knees stronger and shouldn't put a lot of pressure on them (when you do a full, proper squat, the knees are just along for the ride).
  • Sk8Kate
    Options
    Thanks Dragonwolf. It's after the squatting it bothers me. (Like there's nothing there to hold me up). Also, took a kick by inexperienced fighter at Taekwondo t'ment yesterday right above the bad knee. She just about knocked me right over! ( the crowd would've loved seeing the ref go *kitten*-over-teakettle). Had a heck of a bruise, but Epsom salt/baking soda bath made it fade a lot.
  • samko1976
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Glad to see you guys are on board! The plan starts off gradually and with a rest days after a few days so I hope it does not aggravate your knee. :smile:
  • samko1976
    Options
    It's after the squatting it bothers me. (Like there's nothing there to hold me up).
    In the link to start with you can do the squats over a chair- maybe that will help?
  • Sk8Kate
    Options
    Thanks I'll see how tomorrow goes & take it from there.
  • x_tina324
    x_tina324 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I'd love to @samko I used to do 100 most evenings but have let it go. I'd set the 'ping pong song' going and if you keep in time with that it's exactly 100 until the song ends LOL
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=rh4Tos_eo5A
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    isn't there an app for that?!?! Have been doing the 100 pushup challenge using an app and the flamin thing has me doing way more than 100 now - it lied to me!
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'll be passing on the squat challenge.

Still trying to survive the 100 pushups.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    I'll be passing on the squat challenge.

Still trying to survive the 100 pushups.

My arms are aching today and I haven't done any pushups since Friday! But I can tell the difference when i squeeze through the cushioning fat, my biceps and tricep muscles are definitely bigger!
  • samko1976
    Options
    I'd set the 'ping pong song' going and if you keep in time with that it's exactly 100 until the song ends LOL
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=rh4Tos_eo5A

Cool only 10 today but will be useful in 27 days. :smile:
  • samko1976
    Options
    Cool @x_tina324! I've done my 10 for the day!
  • Sk8Kate
    Options
    Done! Yay,didn't have to call the paramedics!
  • samko1976
    Options
    Done! Yay,didn't have to call the paramedics!

:lol:
  • Horsechick49
    Horsechick49 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am in....did 10
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Funny that this thread popped up for me today. I'm down 30 pounds and was just thinking this weekend that I need to get my butt in gear (LITERALLY) to start tightening things up. Last time I dropped this much I was active at Curves, so that really helped to keep the jiggle factor in control. This time, with no concentrated strength training yet, there are definitely some, um, problem areas. ;-)

Actually did my first 10 yesterday without knowing I was going to start a challenge...onward and downward!
  • samko1976
    Options
    Awesome @Horsechick49 ! Glad you're in too!

[ I'm down 30 pounds and was just thinking this weekend that I need to get my butt in gear (LITERALLY) to start tightening things up. [/quote]

Congrats on the weight loss! I was thinking the same about my core muscles in general. I can't really do pushups and planks yet so think this will help get the strength to start next month.

Onward and downward!! :smile:
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I do them daily, so i don't know if i shall join in or what? lol