w1d1

Options

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    adam145 wrote: »
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    your 4th and 7th run intervals are at or faster than my tempo speeds.

In addition, I've just check my run, and both those intervals were downhill, if that makes a difference!

I noticed that, but honestly even downhill those two are faster than my long easy pace on downhills, and I've just done a 1:49 half marathon on a reduced training load.

Yep your cardio is probably fine, but it's the build up and the muscle/tendon adaption that takes time with running, which is why so many runners, run themself into the ground.
    I'm not sure if the 110 has a pace alert, but check into it and I'd set it for around 6-6:30min/km pace as a 'too fast' alert, which honestly is taking into account your advanced cardio level. Get through the program and then worry about speed. :)
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options

I think you're confusing me and samhennings. It's my Strava link at the top of this thread.

Yep, my bad, Strava and mfp usernames being different, oops that's me too. Sorry
    taeliesyn wrote: »

I noticed that, but honestly even downhill those two are faster than my long easy pace on downhills, and I've just done a 1:49 half marathon on a reduced training load.

Yep your cardio is probably fine, but it's the build up and the muscle/tendon adaption that takes time with running, which is why so many runners, run themself into the ground.
    I'm not sure if the 110 has a pace alert, but check into it and I'd set it for around 6-6:30min/km pace as a 'too fast' alert, which honestly is taking into account your advanced cardio level. Get through the program and then worry about speed. :)

That's where I was even if I got the wrong user, sorry again, if people can do intervals at that speed/ pace C25k is probably not the right programme for them. Good luck on your journeys though. And have fun.

• adam145
    adam145 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Good advice. Thanks. I'll check the 110 for a pace alert tonight, but I don't think it does. Nevertheless, I'll try to slow down. I've always had problems with my achilles, so I really, really need to slowly build up to walking and running.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Learning how to run slow is one of the hardest lessons in running, but when first building it's needed.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Learning how to run slow is one of the hardest lessons in running, but when first building it's needed.

Totally agree. As you get faster it doesn't get any easier to go slow. My slow pace now, is as fast as my fast pace when I started and I still struggle with it. Have fun

• samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Well I did it. My legs arent to happy with me right now and my chest was trying to recreate that famous scene in alien the whole time but I did it.

All I can say is that all the positive testimonies, the transformations people attribute to c25k, all of them are lies. I cannot for a minute uimagine me running the required 90 seconds next week, let alone 3 or 30 minutes!

It seems impossible!

That said, Ill keep plugging away, who knows - it might work!

Well done! I know what you mean though, I certainly can't imagine running for more than a few minutes, and certainly 30 minutes without stopping seams like a long, long way away!

That said, I'm actually feeling better today, the day after my w1d2, than I was on Tuesday, a day after my w1d1. I'm almost looking forward to tomorrow morning for the completion of the first week!

Thanks! Im glad you are finding it easier. At the moment the issue for me is not the legs but the lungs, so the opposite of you!

Glad to hear it gets better, not sure I could stick to it if everytime I felt like today...
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    @samhennings slow down, steady your breathing, slow down some more, focus on your form and slow down some more again just for the heck of it.
    I struggled on my first few attempts of C25K, once I slowed my running down to what felt comfortable(ish) it made a massive different.
  • mrsjatty
    mrsjatty Posts: 95 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Ohhh I know that movie scene. One thing that has really helped me with lungs was learning to belly breathe while running, well by some accounts on here on pace, I am barely moving. I did W6*R3 today, 25 minute run, my fastest km was at a pace of 9.12km/hr. But I managed to complete the whole 25 minutes, that was my focues. I have never run in my life, not at school, did no team sports, I am still 107kg, so have a lot to still lose and 42. I'm one of those that really, if I can do it you can cases. It does get easier, if I'm lying - prove it :D
  • adam145
    Options
    w1d3 done. Looking forward to week 2 now. I tired to keep the pace down some more, but the podcast I'm listening to (NHS c25k) plays music during each walking and running stage, and I can't help feeling the rhythm of the music is the pace I should be aiming for, so I've been mostly concentrating on stride length.

I'm going to try and stick with Monday/Wednesday/Friday mornings next week as that's worked quite well for me, however I have a busy Sunday planned, so I may have to change my schedule a little if Morning morning is a no-goer!

Thanks for the advice and encouragement so far!
  • samhennings
    Options
    @samhennings slow down, steady your breathing, slow down some more, focus on your form and slow down some more again just for the heck of it.
    I struggled on my first few attempts of C25K, once I slowed my running down to what felt comfortable(ish) it made a massive different.

I averaged 5mph, I usually walk at about 4mph so Im not sure if I actually can slow down!

Its weird. Like Im built for walking. Happy to get a march on at 4mph and maintain it for hours, just keep going happy as can be. Jog, and Im panting and puffing with my heart beating out of my chest in 100yds.

I think its just the raise in pace, I have to just keep going with it and adapt. I am aware of not trying to go to fast, Im not racing anyone, I think its just the case Im basically rubbish :o

mrsjatty wrote: »
    Ohhh I know that movie scene. One thing that has really helped me with lungs was learning to belly breathe while running, well by some accounts on here on pace, I am barely moving. I did W6*R3 today, 25 minute run, my fastest km was at a pace of 9.12km/hr. But I managed to complete the whole 25 minutes, that was my focues. I have never run in my life, not at school, did no team sports, I am still 107kg, so have a lot to still lose and 42. I'm one of those that really, if I can do it you can cases. It does get easier, if I'm lying - prove it :D

Thanks, Ill have a look at belly breathing, not seen of it before. Fantastic to see you have done so well, lets hope you are right and miracles can happen! W1D2 tomorrow...
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    @samhennings don't believe you are rubbish, just not trained. Just keep at it, there have been people who run slower than they walk, well they report it that way. You will succeed abut make sure you have fun. Good luck
  • ftrobbie
    Options

Faster than my W6D3, so keep going and well done. :)

• samhennings
    Options
    @samhennings don't believe you are rubbish, just not trained. Just keep at it, there have been people who run slower than they walk, well they report it that way. You will succeed abut make sure you have fun. Good luck

Im on the program, baring injury or issues Ill keep going. Its just hard to believe there will be such rapid improvement. Especially from someone who has never been a runner!

I am rubbish though - hopefully not for long! :D

Thanks
  • SuperMelanie
    SuperMelanie Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Well I did it. My legs arent to happy with me right now and my chest was trying to recreate that famous scene in alien the whole time but I did it.

All I can say is that all the positive testimonies, the transformations people attribute to c25k, all of them are lies. I cannot for a minute uimagine me running the required 90 seconds next week, let alone 3 or 30 minutes!

It seems impossible!

Like you, I thought I would never complete W1D1. I am not a runner, my body wobbles in all the wrong places when I move, I sweat more than a woman should and the sight of me in my running gear would frighten those of a nervous disposition!

My lowest point was when I was gasping for breath, running for my life, only to be overtaken by a little girl on a pink Barbie bike. With stabilisers. :'(

But the best advice I was given was not to sprint- SLOW DOWN!

And it does seem to get easier.
    I've surprised myself and somehow managed to complete W2D3.
    It wasn't pretty.
    It certainly wasn't elegant.
    There were times when I look at week 10 and think "No Bloody way am I going to be able to run 5K!".
    I was ready to quit after the first 30 seconds of W1D1. But I didn't :D I'm still here!!

And I'll give W3 my best shot.

Good luck! You can do it :smiley:
  • taeliesyn
    Options

I averaged 5mph, I usually walk at about 4mph so Im not sure if I actually can slow down!

Its weird. Like Im built for walking. Happy to get a march on at 4mph and maintain it for hours, just keep going happy as can be. Jog, and Im panting and puffing with my heart beating out of my chest in 100yds.

I think its just the raise in pace, I have to just keep going with it and adapt. I am aware of not trying to go to fast, Im not racing anyone, I think its just the case Im basically rubbish :o

Its possible to run slower than you walk, and you will adapt and then speed will come. It's possible to power through the first few sessions going to fast, but you'll find you struggle on later ones if you don't slow down.

• mrsjatty
    mrsjatty Posts: 95 Member
    Options

Faster than my W6D3, so keep going and well done. :)

Thanks @ftrobbie, that means a lot :)
  • samhennings
    Options

It seems impossible!

Like you, I thought I would never complete W1D1. I am not a runner, my body wobbles in all the wrong places when I move, I sweat more than a woman should and the sight of me in my running gear would frighten those of a nervous disposition!

My lowest point was when I was gasping for breath, running for my life, only to be overtaken by a little girl on a pink Barbie bike. With stabilisers. :'(

But the best advice I was given was not to sprint- SLOW DOWN!

And it does seem to get easier.
    I've surprised myself and somehow managed to complete W2D3.
    It wasn't pretty.
    It certainly wasn't elegant.
    There were times when I look at week 10 and think "No Bloody way am I going to be able to run 5K!".
    I was ready to quit after the first 30 seconds of W1D1. But I didn't :D I'm still here!!

And I'll give W3 my best shot.

Good luck! You can do it :smiley:

W1D2 today, was hard but about 1% better than D1. Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Well done!

Its possible to run slower than you walk, and you will adapt and then speed will come. It's possible to power through the first few sessions going to fast, but you'll find you struggle on later ones if you don't slow down.

I really am not running fast by any means, I just have lungs the size of walnuts! It will get better Im sure

Thanks
  • taeliesyn
    Options

I really am not running fast by any means, I just have lungs the size of walnuts! It will get better Im sure

Thanks

Dude, fast is relative to your abilities on the day. If you're struggling then you're probably going too fast for you, for the time you're running.
  • samhennings
    Options
    w2d1 done this morning, nothing like as bad as I expected.

Made an effort to run real slow and made it through.

Now dreading the 3min runs on w3!
  • adam145
    Options
    I finished week 2 today. I think it went okay, with the exception of a twinge from my Achilles after w2d2. I've had problems with my Achilles since I was a kid, so I was/am a little worried about it. I took it really easy on my rest day, and this morning, for my w2d3 it was fine. Just have to make sure I warm up real slow, and take heed of any warning signs.