I'm glad MFP doesn't announce when I've gained!

Options
2»

Replies

• DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I don't enter the scale upticks into mfp. I know it will be coming down again! So every loss posted, for me, is a true celebration! Maybe keep the increases someplace other than mfp? Only "check in" when the scale shows a decrease? Then no "false" celebrations?

That's a good idea.

And yeah, y'all, I want to agree with you on the "public shaming," but they are really just normal daily fluctuations--all the public shaming would do is force me to keep my weigh-ins private.

Question: Can you see my total pounds lost like I can see on my homepage?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    shai74 wrote: »
    I WISH MFP WOULD ANNOUNCE WHEN I'VE GAINED.

I'm so sick of getting "OMG well done" on my wall every time I lose the same 500g. It'll be all like "Shai lost .4kg" but say nothing about the 2.5kg I gained in the week before that. False praise *kitten* me. I'm okay with a public shaming if I put on weight :P

I politely disagree. Even if you gained, didn't you still have to work to take those pounds back off? Many time when we are women, particularly with a metabolic disorder, we can't control those gains, but we still work it back off. I am trying to give myself some slack on this issue...

kuranda10 wrote: »

I'm so sick of getting "OMG well done" on my wall every time I lose the same 500g. It'll be all like "Shai lost .4kg" but say nothing about the 2.5kg I gained in the week before that. False praise *kitten* me. I'm okay with a public shaming if I put on weight :P

Yes this.

I have gained and lost the same weight for over a month now.
    Everyone is all "WOHOO" and I'm all "nope".

It isn't nope. The old you would have let those pounds stay. And probably let them have a party and invite some friends who also wouldn't want to leave, right? So this new you fights back. They keep coming around, but you keep kicking them out. And one of these days, they'll get the message and stay gone, and you will have earned every single round of boxing with them!!!

Exactly. That's why I quit entering my weights. I hate that public announcement of a false loss! Then I see others' losses and think they're real and get all happy for people---but I guess theirs may not be real either. Crazy system!

You can actually go to the page when it posts your loss and click the "X" to delete the message. I've done this before. I think you can actually go in and change the "auto-post" settings somewhere. Me, personally, I would rather have the data and delete the messages if I don't want to leave them there...

Mami1976D wrote: »
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I don't enter the scale upticks into mfp. I know it will be coming down again! So every loss posted, for me, is a true celebration! Maybe keep the increases someplace other than mfp? Only "check in" when the scale shows a decrease? Then no "false" celebrations?

That's a good idea.

And yeah, y'all, I want to agree with you on the "public shaming," but they are really just normal daily fluctuations--all the public shaming would do is force me to keep my weigh-ins private.

Question: Can you see my total pounds lost like I can see on my homepage?

I see 24 pounds lost on your profile page.

• shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I put my weight in every day so I can track the ups and downs. Today I was the same as yesterday. MFP posted on my wall "Shai74 has lost 0kg today!"

Go me.
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    I put my weight in every day so I can track the ups and downs. Today I was the same as yesterday. MFP posted on my wall "Shai74 has lost 0kg today!"

Go me.

Now that is something I've never seen.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I think kilograms round...and 1 kg is equal to 2.2 pounds, so the whole system is wonky anyway! LOL I'd rather it say I lost 0 whatever than not say anything because I gained! just sayin'
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Today it says I "kuranda10 lost 1.1 lbs since her last weight in" (my Aria scale, FitBit and MFP are all linked)

But No. Yesterday I had gained one lb. so in reality I've only lost .1 lbs. I had to delete that status before anyone could "like" it
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    There are few things I'd like to see:

1. Date or length of time since last weigh-in. "...has lost 10lbs since her last weigh-in!" is a lot better progress when "her last weigh-in" was two or three weeks ago than it does when it's been six months. (Just allows for more realistic expectations and responses, I think. I always found it weird to record some "sharp loss" like that and have people go nuts, but the "big drop" was actually over countless months.)

2. Some mechanism to account for the ups and downs of daily weighing. Perhaps something like only an announcement when you reach a new "record low" (and that "record low" can be deleted/reset for instances where you've gained back a significant amount and are effectively starting anew), or maybe a "record low" for the past X weigh-ins.

3. The option to announce gains. Not everyone's here for weight loss, and some of the ones who are have shown the desire to have it posted, too. There's no technological reason not to have an option available and have it off by default.
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

1. Date or length of time since last weigh-in. "...has lost 10lbs since her last weigh-in!" is a lot better progress when "her last weigh-in" was two or three weeks ago than it does when it's been six months. (Just allows for more realistic expectations and responses, I think. I always found it weird to record some "sharp loss" like that and have people go nuts, but the "big drop" was actually over countless months.)

2. Some mechanism to account for the ups and downs of daily weighing. Perhaps something like only an announcement when you reach a new "record low" (and that "record low" can be deleted/reset for instances where you've gained back a significant amount and are effectively starting anew), or maybe a "record low" for the past X weigh-ins.

3. The option to announce gains. Not everyone's here for weight loss, and some of the ones who are have shown the desire to have it posted, too. There's no technological reason not to have an option available and have it off by default.

I agree. I've had all these same thoughts. Or maybe even just better control over what is posted. I log my weight each morning right after I've taken it (otherwise I forget what the scale said), but I don't have time right then to go in and delete the post if I don't want an announcement. By the time I get to it, several people have already "liked" it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

Especially when the code to TRACK all of these things already exists. In theory, it should be a relatively simple tweak to allow the "flip" setting of these items...unless the morons shortcutted the process and hard coded things.

1. Regardless, I LOVE the idea of including the last weigh-in date - you know it is tracked! How hard to add that piece of data to that code?

2. And allowing Record lows would be fabulous, particularly if the settings a user could adjust were "EVER," "in the last year," "In the last 6 months," "since XYZ date," etc. That would be AMAZING!

3. And this, so much. I know many folks on here are recovering from eating disorders and any number of things... Obviously weight gains are tracked because it cues the code not to post. The flip side of that code should be SO SIMPLE... And having an option to check losses, gains, or BOTH.... So much.

But, alas, we dream. And if they do add anything like this, it'll probably only go to premium where no one will ever get to use it. GRR....
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Yeah. It's making me consider resurrecting a side project that kind of fell by the wayside and re-imagining it as something like MFP, but...better...or whatever. That'd be a huge undertaking, though.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    If you do decide, I'd happily beta test for you! :)
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Yeah. It's making me consider resurrecting a side project that kind of fell by the wayside and re-imagining it as something like MFP, but...better...or whatever. That'd be a huge undertaking, though.
    Yeah, maybe a version where the CICO crowd or IIFYM group can't join! (or at least let them be relegated to second class - LCHF rocks!) LOL!
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'd be in for the beta too. It would be nice to search for food where people hadn't entered their 'version' that was accurate on calories but didn't add the rest of the macros. Sometimes it takes forever to find the listing that is true.