Day One!

Options
FierceConfident
FierceConfident Posts: 12 Member
Hello!

I'm Shannon, I'm a food addict. In fact, I'm a recovering binge eater and laxative user. My first binge was when I was about 8 years old during a argument my parents were having. And so started my new way of coping.

I was raised by two people who seemed like they had everything going for them on the outside, but they were actually not as they seemed. They decided to adopt me when I was 10. I was emotionally abused and so were the other kids that were adopted. They had a hold on me that I can't even explain to this day, I knew something was off and so I turned to food. When I was in high school, I started figuring out what was off and started trying to control my eating. Thus began 10 years of yo-yo dieting and only gaining weight.

I moved out when I was 20, but it wasn't far enough away, they still controlled me. So when I turned 21 I moved to Chicago to be with my high school boyfriend and then when we were 23 we moved to Los Angeles. When I was 24 I slowly started to work on my past and try and overcome my binge eating, it back fired and the abuse continued. I started taking laxatives to try and control the binges.

I got engaged to my wonderful high school sweetheart just before I turned 25! Again, I tried working on things with my adoptive parents and again it didn't work. I had to cut off all communication, it was tough. They stalked me and called me a liar, but I stood fast.

Now as my 26th birthday has just rolled past and my upcoming wedding approaches, I realized I still continue to let them control me even without them in my life physically. I'm constantly living my life on the sidelines. I'm not doing that anymore, I'm reaching out to get help (from a therapist (soon, hopefully)) and from anyone that I can.

My doctor has suggested I follow a clean Ketogenic diet for my PCOS and weight loss. So, I start today! Looking forward to all of the support!

Replies

• katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome. I say kudos to you for attempting to resolve family issues at such a young age, it shows real strength in you. I hope as you enter into this way of eating you will find many questions you may have answered on this board. Feel free to friend me, also congratulations on your upcoming wedding.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Welcome, what an interesting story. I am glad to see you're reaching out for help and you've come to a great place :)
    We are here to help and support each other, so don't hesitate to ask any questions any time. Friend people to see their diaries for some ideas and just roll with it.

:)
  • spush
    spush Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Go you for making a stand and starting to sort out your life. :) Congrats on your up coming wedding and you've come to the right place for support.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Welcome! It's a great thing to be working on all of life's issues to better yourself in every way. I commend you for trying to resolve issues with your parents and for moving on to other sources of support. Unresolved issues can be hard to overcome but can be done. I have had mother issues forever and will always. I have grown to know they won't ever be resolved but have taken the power back, that I had given them, over my life! I am 47 and wish I would have done this many years ago. It's a good thing you are doing for yourself. This group is awesome! So, don't hesitate to ask anything!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    Welcome ! You will get a lot of support here in all ways, not just with the way of eating, but with the underlying issues for the weight gain. I commend you as well, for wishing to resolve family issues at such a young age. My sister and I were in our 40's before we stopped crying at family gatherings, due to my mother's abusive attitude.

Wow, I applaud your bravery. I feel safe in this group, but still haven't told anyone here about my issues with my mother. Still waiting to be brave enough. But with gaining control over the eating habits, I can feel my own self confidence grow and somehow I know that everything will be alright now.

I wish you much success.
  • FierceConfident
    FierceConfident Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!

My plan yesterday was to eat Keto, but I went to the dentist and the extracted a couple teeth. I had ice cream for lunch to help with swelling and pain. It was far less carbs than what I would normally have so I say it was a wonderful intro for me :smiley:
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    WOW! Respect!! It takes a lot of courage to face up to the issues you have mentioned about your parents and I am so happy you are being so positive and proactive to. Very happy you have the love and support of your fiance too. I too turned to food due to issues with my mother (is there a common thread emerging here???) and unfortunately chose a husband who just took over where she left off until I took the courage to escape that too.
    This way of eating showed me I can achieve so much and I am now happily in control of my eating. I know you will do well with this and it will help your pcos so much too!
    Welcome to the group where you will find so much love and support with everything!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'm Shannon, I'm a food addict. In fact, I'm a recovering binge eater and laxative user. My first binge was when I was about 8 years old during a argument my parents were having. And so started my new way of coping.

I was raised by two people who seemed like they had everything going for them on the outside, but they were actually not as they seemed. They decided to adopt me when I was 10. I was emotionally abused and so were the other kids that were adopted. They had a hold on me that I can't even explain to this day, I knew something was off and so I turned to food. When I was in high school, I started figuring out what was off and started trying to control my eating. Thus began 10 years of yo-yo dieting and only gaining weight.

I moved out when I was 20, but it wasn't far enough away, they still controlled me. So when I turned 21 I moved to Chicago to be with my high school boyfriend and then when we were 23 we moved to Los Angeles. When I was 24 I slowly started to work on my past and try and overcome my binge eating, it back fired and the abuse continued. I started taking laxatives to try and control the binges.

I got engaged to my wonderful high school sweetheart just before I turned 25! Again, I tried working on things with my adoptive parents and again it didn't work. I had to cut off all communication, it was tough. They stalked me and called me a liar, but I stood fast.

Now as my 26th birthday has just rolled past and my upcoming wedding approaches, I realized I still continue to let them control me even without them in my life physically. I'm constantly living my life on the sidelines. I'm not doing that anymore, I'm reaching out to get help (from a therapist (soon, hopefully)) and from anyone that I can.

My doctor has suggested I follow a clean Ketogenic diet for my PCOS and weight loss. So, I start today! Looking forward to all of the support!

Girl! I cannot believe you survived that war zone you call a life. That is crazy. I was telling someone earlier that I feel that diagnosis and treatment for PCOS ends up feeling a little like PCOS, particularly with food issues triggered by ... that ... so-called familial unit above. I hope this way of eating can help restore your body while your therapist works on the more important parts of you.

HUGS