Newbie-ketostix

Sk8Kate
Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
Hi all. Been doing LCHF for 20 odd days now. Used keto stix for first time this morning. Dark purple. I don't notice any odd odours or taste in mouth. Instructions say dark purple needs to be addressed by physician. Is this true? Unable to find ketone/glucose meter unless on line. Can you stay at this level for any length of time without hurting yourself?

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    No, the physician warning is for diabetics due to the risk of ketoacidosis, which is what the strips are designed to warn against. Keto people using them to indicate a state of nutritional ketosis is not the intended use, and they are not the best guide for the keto dieter.
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Ok thanks
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    @kirkor what is the best method for testing, one seen that ketostix are not necessary but I don't want to spend money on a blood meter if it's possible to be confident another way
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Ketonix, the breath meter, has a decent rep. But really, if you keep your carbs low enough for long enough then you are guaranteed to be in ketosis -- it's a matter of biochemistry. The metering only comes in to play when you start to try to find your upper limit for carbs that still allows you personally to remain in ketosis.
  • DinoChicken
    DinoChicken Posts: 44 Member
    I like the ketostix.. At least for the first month or so, but just for motivational support.

A few things to remember though.. A high protein diet or not drinking enough water will both make the strips dark as you are passing higher numbers of ketones (higher protein than you need) or higher concentration because you're dehydrated.
    **you can have dark strips without that being the case but I double check my numbers and drink a little more if mine are dark**

I say buy one cheap box and give it a try.. Its a cheap way to give yourself a thumbs up for staying on track...

..also, as your body keto-adapts you may not see positive strips.. Generally this means that your body is using everything you're eating efficiently and thus none is spilled into your urine.