Healthy Dinners that can be made ahead and reheat well??

Options
Norahoefer
Norahoefer Posts: 10 Member
Hello!
This is a call for help in the dinner department. My husband and I are trying very hard to eat healthy, we are the parents of two boys who both play baseball and we are at games and practices every night until at least 8:00. I'm looking for ideas of healthy things that I can make ahead and have ready to either pop in the oven or reheat on the stove or throw in the crock pot or even eat cold if anyone has ideas? I love that my kids are so into their sport and we all have fun at their sporting events--I just don't want our healthy eating all day to be sabotaged by quick takeout at 8:30-9:00 every night! Any would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Replies

• dbsgeek
    dbsgeek Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try plum chicken thighs in a crockpot. I use Ree Drummond's recipe as a base but way less soy sauce (and the low sodium kind) and way less honey and fill up the volume with chicken broth instead.
    Iowa girl eats also has an awesome kale, cheese, and brown rice casserole that is super filling. I pair with a lean pork tenderloin with any marinade since then both can just be popped in the oven if pre-made on the weekend.
    Salad with grilled marinated meat is a quick standby. I marinade the meat over the weekend and cut any salad veggies and then just throw the meat on the grill (less oil!) And it cooks quickly too. Ellie Krueger has a nice thai beef salad recipe that is a good base.
  • cossmoss15
    cossmoss15 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Thank you dbsgeek I loved the kale, cheese and brown rice casserole. Had 1/4 for diiner tonight (with mt husband) put 2 portions in freezer for smother day and one in the fridge for us tomorrow! Will browse the website to see what else I can find
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    A crockpot can be your best friend and you can find some wonderful recipes on the internet.
  • Dosiedoe
    Dosiedoe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Look for some make ahead freezer meals. There are tons on Penterest. They are a lifesaver! If you can spare 1 hour or so in the kitchen putting them together one day, you'll have a week's worth of meals.
  • Tyffany76
    Tyffany76 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This week I prepped ground turkey meatballs, 3-4 oz each. great for reheating and I'll throw in sweet potato in the oven or cut up some asparagus, mushrooms and peppers, toss in olive oil and roast in oven for 10 minutes. Very quick and easy.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke chicken : 4 skinless breasts, cubed, 350 g passata, or, a tin of tomatoes, pinch of Chinese 5 spice, dash of soy sauce, dash of Worstershire sauce, chicken stock cube and 1 onion and 660 mls of diet coke. Fry off the onion and the chicken, add in the rest of the ingredients and then you can cook and change the ingredients as to whether you want a drier consistency or more of a gravy - served with cous cous and veg. When cooked and cooled portion off for the freezer.
  • phiguru
    phiguru Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The first of the zucchini and summer squash are just coming in from the garden, so I'm making a variation on Caponata. Caponata is similar to Ratatouille and is basically a cooked vegetable stew. What makes it terrific as a make-ahead meal is that, like a lot of stews, it tastes better on the second day. I tend to put the traditional pine nuts and olives on the side (picky eaters) and garnish with a bit of good cheese. Traditional recipe: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/caponata.html
    Here is my version for this week, which is based on what I have on hand:
    Put 1 tsp olive oil in a dutch oven, add and saute gently:
    1# zucchini & squash, cut in to 1-inch chunks
    1 onion, cut in to 1-inch chunks
    2 green (or red) bell peppers, seeded and cut in to 1-inch chunks
    3 celery stalks, cut in to 1/2-inch chunks
    3 cloves garlic, smashed
    Then add and simmer for 15 minutes:
    3 tomatoes, diced or 1 can fire-roasted diced tomato
    3 tbs fresh Italian parsley, roughly chopped
    1 tsp fresh oregano, roughly chopped
    1/2 cup golden raisins
    1 tsp olive oil
    Salt to taste
    (from here down, mix in or have on the side)
    1/2 cup green olives OR kalamata olives, chopped
    1/2 cup pine nuts

Serve over polenta or with crusty bread. Top with good cheese for a bit of extra flavor and protein.
  • ellenschwindt3
    ellenschwindt3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This week I made a baked spaghetti Squash dish that was a hit and provided my husband and I with three main courses each. I just steamed the spaghetti squash, added tomato sauce and kale (equal parts) and topped with mozarella cheese. These are as satisfying as a lasagne and way lower in calories.