Triathlon Camps

Capt_Apollo
Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
Has anyone ever done one? I did my first this weekend, and let me tell you it was so worth it. The camp was a "local" camp, run by coaches that have at one point or another been a coach for a local triathlon club or team. It had a very down to earth quality. There were 7 athletes, and we were pretty much all at different skill levels and race distances, and the two coaches, Ed and Pete, tailored our workouts to push our limits.

To give you an idea of the weekend schedule, we arrived late on friday night to a great pasta dinner, and talked to the coaches about our goals for the weekend and our upcoming race schedule. Breakfast was at 6, and we were out the door at 7 for a long brick workout. Afterwards it was snack time, and then we headed to a local college pool where we worked on drills, roughly 2000 yards of swimming, from noon to one. Then it was lunch at the house, and then a two hour nap. 5pm we were out the door to the nearby lake for some open water swimming training. Dinner was back at the house and then we had a pow wow with the coaches over some ice cream and asked questions that we had from the day or triathlon in general.

Sunday we "slept in" and had breakfast at 6:30am, and for most of us it was a long bike morning, but some opted for a long run and another session in the lake. After snack time it was back to the pool where we did an endurance swim. Pete was there to give us pointers on our form, and to make sure we didn't take longer breaks than prescribed. Then it was back to the house for a farewell BBQ.

It was a really great weekend, and Coaches Ed and Pete took great care to make us feel welcomed and pushing it hard on the road and in the pool. Ed fed us, and as a former clydesdale, it is my expert opinion that the food was outstanding. I am definitely going to be going back, maybe even this year, most certainly next year.

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    A weekend of focused training with a couple coaches is a great way to jump-start a season.

I did one in January. My tri coaches, along with a bunch of their athletes, all went to Florida. Basically it went like this:

Friday arrival, 2hr ride, rest a couple hours, 1.5hr track workout, then straight to an easy swim
    Saturday: 3hr ride, and 1.5hr pool session, then short easy run
    Sunday: Half Marathon (entry into the race was included in the camp fee), followed by an open water swim and then some beach relaxation
    Monday: Short swim session then everyone flies home.

It really was a great time. Now this was with our coaches so they knew us well and knew our capabilities. The workouts were all tailored to the individual athletes even though we did them as a group.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    the seven of us were all at different levels and many of us doing different races, so there was no group sessions except in the pool or in the lake.

next year i might try and get a few people of the same level or preparing for the same race to come with me, depending on when my races are next year.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    I've run a few and have attended 2 or 3. It's a great way to figure out exactly where you stand on skills and have qualified folks to bounce ideas off of. Also you get a few days of focused work and fellowship with other triathletes.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited May 2015
    I did one a few years ago in North Carolina. It was a 2 week one, I only stayed for a week. It was before I lost my weight and I was pretty out of shape but I loved every minute of it. It really made me realize how much more I could do. I was swimming further than I ever had, even while biking and running in the same day.

Our schedule was pretty much the same, eat, workout, nap, eat workout, eat, workout, eat, sleep.
    It was pretty laid back, you could go to as many sessions as you wanted. I think they took Wednesday off as a rest day (most of us went shopping).

My husband offered to go there this year for our family trip since we were planning one anyway at the same time and it was warm there, but I just couldn't. Even if I only did one or two workouts per day I'd have felt too guilty. I do love that he suggested it though.

ETA - I did bring my bike with me on our vacation (we did Florida) and got a lot of swimming/biking/running in during nap time or after bedtime. And a sprint tri.
  • tri_bob
    tri_bob Posts: 121 Member
    And a sprint tri.
    We see what you did there. Nice.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    tri_bob wrote: »
    And a sprint tri.
    We see what you did there. Nice.

LOL, he's used to it. He is just happy now when I don't sign him up too.

I may have signed us up for a 10k on our honeymoon…