Can I cheat?!

Options
InADarkRoom
InADarkRoom Posts: 84 Member
I see you all talking about drinking chicken broth and how much it helps you guys feel better. So I was wondering...can I just use a Knorr stock cube and it work the same way? I rarely ever roast a chicken so I never make broth! Anything I should be aware of, doing it this way? Any other ideas?

Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I use Wyler's chicken/beef cubes, i never made a borth myself.
  • InADarkRoom
    Options
    I just tried it and wow! Is it salty! I'm not sure I can drink a whole cup of this stuff! Is it just me?
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    As long as its full of salt, it'll work. A single dill pickle works for me.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    You probably have no choice LOL, unless you take supplements and salt everything excessively. I actually like salt so i don't have a problem with it, to me it's tasty and some people add butter to it. :)
  • InADarkRoom
    Options
    They add butter to the stock cube? Thought makes me shudder! But I struggle with the fats side of this WOE anyway as I'm not a fan of cream or anything....

I take a multivitamin/mineral supplement everyday and do salt most of my food. But that stock - was waaaay saltier than I've tasted!
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    If it's in cube form, you can dilute it a little.
  • InADarkRoom
    Options
    So could I get away with using half of a cube to the same amount of water? Might be a little more tolerable!
  • wabmester
    Options
    How much sodium in one cube? Online I see Wyler's has 560mg. 1/2 cube of that would be too little. You'd be much better off eating a pickle.
  • InADarkRoom
    Options
    Ok...so from the pack it's one cube per 450ml. 100ml is one portion and the salt is 0.9g per portion. Is that way too high? I'm having a brain freeze moment... :blush:
  • wabmester
    Options
    So one cube makes 4.5 servings? 900mg per serving sounds good. If you drink all 4.5 servings, you'd be done for the day. :)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I like to use bbq pork skins for extra sodium. The broth thing reminds me of being sick and I just can't. Haven't had any problems doing this.
  • InADarkRoom
    Options
    That wouldn't be too much? Well ok then! Thanks @wabmester !

@Karlottap - I really cannot tolerate skins at all, make me gag. I'm far too fussy for my own good, I know it!
  • wabmester
    edited May 2015
    Options
    One 100ml serving should be fine. You'll get more sodium from other sources during the day. If you feel run down or other symptoms of malaise, try drinking more of the broth. As I said, a single pickle does it for me, and that's around 1000mg of sodium.
  • InADarkRoom
    Options
    Maybe I'll pick up some pickles too, see if I like those :smile:
  • spunkyabroad
    spunkyabroad Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Just make sure the pickles don't have sugar.
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I use the ground form of bullion, 1 tsp is 880mg of sodium. I drink one cup a day after the advice of other low carbers after I posted about muscle cramps and feeling exhausted. It has made a huge difference.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    It's not the best source, but I've found that Power Aid Zero has helped me out when I can't get something else. It has magnesium and potassium too.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I use the powerade zero too, I could only handle drinking broth for so long, not a huge fan.
  • InADarkRoom
    Options
    Thanks! Will definitely pick some of that up. I've really tried with the stock thing and it's actually starting to make me gag. Have pickles now so going to try those too.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm new (sorry, I keep saying this when I post, but I am new)--what is the deal with broth and/or pickle?