What do you have your carbohydrates and sugars set at in your food diary?

Options
amfmmama
amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
Newly diagnosed and would like to set my diary up, so it sets me up for success. Specifically, how many carbs? How many sugars?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Help. please....
  • Bookwitch
    Bookwitch Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have been diabetic for several years. I have seen a diabetes dietician and she has set me up at 150 carbs=1500 calories. I would really suggest you talk to your doctor about your nutrition and see what he/she says about how many carbs and/or calories to eat on a daily basis for weight loss or maintneance. I have lost almost 80 pounds in 8 months. I changed the way I was eating and followed my dieticians advice.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    My dietician's initial advise was 180g, I'm now trying to keep it under 100g. My MFP goal is set to 30% of my calories
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm not an extreme low carb person but probably lower than many. On a typical day my carbs are about 50 gross, half that net. I didn't get there in one step. On a bad day my post meal blood glucose is under 110, on a good day under 100. Not terrible numbers for a T2.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My doctor ( a diabetic educator) told me to limit my carbs to 180 g a day. At the time, that was 35% of my calories. I still have the carbs set at 35% which means I eat 154 g. a day currently. I will go up to, but not over, 180 when I have exercise calories to eat back.

I do not track sugars. My Dr. said that, as long as I am not on insulin, the only number to track is total carbs. I take no medication any more and my A1C is stable around 5.3-5.4.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    amfmmama wrote: »
    Newly diagnosed and would like to set my diary up, so it sets me up for success. Specifically, how many carbs? How many sugars?

Thanks in advance!
    I've set mine on the lowest possible, and most of my health care team agrees, though I will have to ask my doctor to remind me what's good for me there. I encourage you to do so as well.
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Mine is set for 100g. I'd also like to add a few amplifying thoughts. I think it's important to know which carbs affect your blood sugars the most. This is where eating to your meter is vital in the process. One may have carbs set to 100g but if that person is eating carbs that cause spikes in glucose, then there really isn't any benefit.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended no more than 45 g per meal. I only track carbs, not sugars since sugars are carbs as well. I have found that eating fruits and dairy will up your sugars but your body metabolizes those sugars differently than table sugar or other added sugars. Another reason I don't track sugar.
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I disagree with regards to not paying attention to sugars. I have steel cut oats every morning and am never above 100, 2 hours post meal. However, I can eat an apple with eggs and my sugars will be above 100. Stable sugars is the key to good diabetes management.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Surely the focus of our attention should be glucose. Since carbs in whatever form are converted to glucose with the corresponding insulin spike it seems self evident that it is best to minimize the consumption of carbs.
  • wiggawaggle
    wiggawaggle Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have my carbs set to 30% which is 140 carbs per day
  • drofjustice
    drofjustice Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I try to stay under 100g carb per day, and target under 30g per meal. I set carbs at 30%, protein at 40%. Which foods make up those carbs is important. For me, I know that oranges and wheat are bad and oat bran, berries, and Greek yogurt are good, based on my BG. Careful control of carbs has helped me to lose 50#, taper off insulin completely (still on Metformin and Victoza) and drop my A1c from 8.4 to 5.1. I use a meal replacement shake once or twice a day for convenience.
    Whereas I logged only carbs and activity for the first 50# loss, I am back to logging everything as I near my goal and increase my activity. This will help greatly with maintenance. The plateaus are brutal, so knowing I am sticking to my plan reassures me that my body is just readjusting composition, which I know from how my clothes fit despite the scale!
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    LCHF here 5% carbs, 20% pro, 75% fat 1800 calories.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm LCHF too. ~5% carbs, 20-15% protein, and 70-75% fat at about 1500 calories. I think that's about 20g carbs, 85g protein and 110 g fat.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I have my carb calories set to 40% of total, which comes to about 150 grams of carbs per day for me but most days I only manage to eat about 100-125 grams of carbs.
  • rich_huber3
    rich_huber3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was told 45-60g per meal at 3 meals a day
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    I was told 45-60g per meal at 3 meals a day

That's the ADA rec. I followed that for most of 32 years.
    Now I'm doing LCHF to see if I can stall my sight loss.
    Diabetes is some scary stuff, I took it too lightly.

o:) OR >:)
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I'm LCHF also, but more carbs than many here. I set my goals to 15% Carb, 60% Fat and 25% Protein. I try to keep carbs under 100g per day (except when I do some serious exercise). I take Glyburide 1.25mg and Metformin HCI 1000mg in the morning and and evening. I know that the day will come that I need to drop my carb percentage if I want to work my way off more medicine.

Of my carbs around 85% of them are from fruits and vegetables. I have all but eradicated processed refined sugars from my diet.

I'm seeing FBS readings of less than 100 for almost all of September now.