Hives?

Options
deksgrl
deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
This week I have been lowering carbs to less than 100 g per day, landing about 60-90. I have not added any new foods that I don't eat regularly. I'm not allergic to anything. Yesterday I started breaking out in hives on my face and neck, around one eye and on the front of my neck and under the chin. Anyone know if this could be linked to carb levels? I apologize if this has been asked before, I couldn't figure out how to search messages just in this group.

As background, I never had a problem with hives until recent years and I chalked it up to hormones, but I never had them on my face and neck before.

Replies

• Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Could it be a reaction to some kind of insect bite?
  • deksgrl
    Options
    I don't think so. It hasn't been warm enough here for the bugs to be out.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    I'm not allergic to anything.

Are you sure? I didn't think I had a wheat sensitivity until I added it back in after three weeks off. I was nauseated for three days.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Have you not eaten something for a few days then added it back? I had this when I started low carb, I didn't eat any wheat for a bit then I ate a lc wrap and my throat swelled and face went numb. I track whenever this happens to try to see what might be causing it. It does sound like an allergic reaction
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I keep sneezing after bacon?
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Have you not eaten something for a few days then added it back? I had this when I started low carb, I didn't eat any wheat for a bit then I ate a lc wrap and my throat swelled and face went numb. I track whenever this happens to try to see what might be causing it. It does sound like an allergic reaction

No, I am eating things I normally eat, except I haven't had any bread since like Sunday, and I have been just making lower carb choices. I haven't dropped down and eliminated things then added them back in. Normally I was eating probably 150+ (occasionally over 200) and I dropped it to under 100.

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Could they be stress related? From someone who regularly gets hives, do you take super hot showers? Do you moisturize? A super hot shower, however nice it feels at the time, will give me hives and cause an eczema flare up. Have you used a different soap/lotion/perfume? What about dish or laundry soap? All purpose cleanser? Try using a gentle soap and moisturizer along with a mild shower and see if that helps. It could be food related, but if you haven't changed anything in your diet recently it could be from external things.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

Interesting, thanks. I'm going to increase water to flush histamines. I think I wasn't drinking enough anyway.

Another "interestingly", the scale is down 4 pounds, likely water weight. Scale hasn't moved in awhile.

• pkroyle
    pkroyle Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've had similiar unexplained hives as well. They came and went for about a week. I was seeing a naturopath at the time and cut out wheat, dairy and sugar all at once. The hives covered my entire body, they were so nasty looking and I even went to my family Dr for an explanation. Nobody had an answer for me. I figured it was maybe a reaction to all the detoxing my body was going through. I took an allergy pill and they eventually stopped!
  • danidanibobani
    danidanibobani Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Have you had your vitamin d checked? I suffered through three bouts of chronic hives before I read a study linking vitamin d deficiency and hives. The last time I had them I had blood work and I was deficient. After taking liquid d 3 for a week, my hives went away. It could be coincidence, but I stay on top of supplementing now and I haven't had hives since. Hope this helps!
  • deksgrl
    Options
    I already take vitamin D so I don't think it is that.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I get hives sometimes in localized areas (usually the inside of my arms and the tops of my feet) due to what I can only assume is screwed up hormone levels. The first time I noticed it was in my early 20s when I first went on oral contraceptives (only that one brand did it, though), and then it didn't happen again until a couple years ago near the beginning of my 3rd pregnancy. My doctor thought it was ringworm, as it would show up in a couple ring-shaped hives on my inner forearms, but I KNEW it wasn't ringworm based on its behavior (and this was confirmed by the fact that antifungal treatment did absolutely nothing to help). It came and went all through that 3rd pregnancy, then happened a couple times during my 4th pregnancy. Then, when I started this WOE, I got a couple spots again near my armpits (such a gross word, huh?). I just assumed the low-carb WOE was causing hormone fluctuations. Plus my baby quit breastfeeding around the same time I started low-carbing, so that would also cause hormonal changes. Whatever it is, I hope you get some relief soon. I know it's not fun!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Brooke Burke Chavet (?) has a skin condition not hives but related that progressed with each pregnancy that was related to skin discoloration (permanent) and such...

Now I know that dark coloring around the eye socks, underarms, inner elbows, behind knees, neck creases, etc. is a sign of overworked pancreas. One of the first things I noticed on meds and with this way of eating was that some of my darker areas faded almost completely. I still feel like an albino when I look in the mirror sometimes.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Interesting. The pancreas produces insulin, correct? So it would figure that if you are eating lower carb that would result in less stress on the pancreas.

I took a benadryl this morning and upped my water intake and it is a lot less itchy. I'm going to try to hold off and not take any more benadryl and see if the water continues to clear it up. Feeling groggy from the benadryl.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    Interesting. The pancreas produces insulin, correct? So it would figure that if you are eating lower carb that would result in less stress on the pancreas.

I took a benadryl this morning and upped my water intake and it is a lot less itchy. I'm going to try to hold off and not take any more benadryl and see if the water continues to clear it up. Feeling groggy from the benadryl.

Yes, the pancreas being overworked can be due to a diet with too much carbs, diabetes, hypo/hyperglycemia, insulin resistance, pancreatic cancer/disease/dysfunction, etc., though that last bit is super rare. My doctor told me a few years ago that my severe discolorations were a sign that even though it wasn't showing up in my bloodwork yet that I was on the road to official pre-diabetes if not the full blown disease/organ failure... He was trying to scare me into going on the DASH/super-low fat diet, which my endocrinologist actually laughed at this attempt when I told him about it. Now, I was on the path at 5'4" tall and 319 pounds, and all kinds of health issues flaring, I'm not denying that, but he tried to make it seem like my pancreas would fail next week if I didn't do something today!

Good luck on clearing it up! Benedryl didn't make me tired last time I took it (I'm guessing due to being adapted or something), but it makes me sleep like crap! LOL
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I have a mast cell disease (which results in the release of histamine throughout my body), and I take Quercetin with Bromelain (I use Source Naturals) is a natural bioflavonoid combo that can help inhibit histamine reactions. I need to take it daily, but I've given it to family and friends, who say it helps them within 20 mins - without the foggy groggies.

Quercetin is also found naturally in decent amounts in lots of foods.

http://www.quercetin.com/overview/food-chart

YMMV
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

Interesting article. Thank you.

More about hives:

https://www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/diseases-and-treatments/e---h/hives/who-gets-causes

I've had bad cases of hives and dermatitis in the past. Most often, this was caused by the weather - when it got really hot. But there was a time when I was in a really stressful job - a hostile environment - and I got terrible, weeping sores on my hands. So I think cortisol may play a role there.

• deksgrl
    Options
    nill4me wrote: »
    I have a mast cell disease (which results in the release of histamine throughout my body), and I take Quercetin with Bromelain (I use Source Naturals) is a natural bioflavonoid combo that can help inhibit histamine reactions. I need to take it daily, but I've given it to family and friends, who say it helps them within 20 mins - without the foggy groggies.

Quercetin is also found naturally in decent amounts in lots of foods.

http://www.quercetin.com/overview/food-chart

YMMV

Thanks for that! I went down the list looking for the foods with the highest amounts and I don't even know what some of those things are. But I can do onions.
    I've had bad cases of hives and dermatitis in the past. Most often, this was caused by the weather - when it got really hot. But there was a time when I was in a really stressful job - a hostile environment - and I got terrible, weeping sores on my hands. So I think cortisol may play a role there.

Yes, I think cortisol, and perhaps the change in eating patterns tipped me over the edge.