Low Carb Veggies

Options
_jayciemarie_
_jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
I'm new to this and I'm trying to stay as low as possible on carbs. Initially I was just going to eat less than 100g (I was eating anywhere between 200-300 per day). Now when I see Carbs listed I kind of panic. I need vegetables for fiber (or something for fiber). Are green beans and/or brussel sprouts acceptable? They seem higher in carbs, but I HATE spinach and alot of the good low carb veggies. Broccoli/Cauliflower/Green Beans/Brussel Sprouts I like. Any wisdom would be appreciated :)

Replies

• nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I know low carb doesn't instantly mean atkins, but here's a list of some basic low carb food...veggies are towards the end of the list:
    http://www.atkins.com/how-it-works/atkins-20/phase-1/low-carb-foods
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I know low carb doesn't instantly mean atkins, but here's a list of some basic low carb food...veggies are towards the end of the list:
    http://www.atkins.com/how-it-works/atkins-20/phase-1/low-carb-foods
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    If you just avoid the starchy vegetables, you should have no problem staying under 100g. Avoid high-carb fruits, too, but you can enjoy berries.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Green Beans are great! Brussel Sprouts tend to be a little high depending on the plan you're following. have you tried spinach and such cooked in butter/coconut oil/insert any other fat? Even ranch! Hope that helps
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I eat all the veggies you've listed in moderation. As long as it fits into your daily macros, why not?
  • wabmester
    Options
    Why is everybody changing their usernames?!
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I think i started the trend...
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

Are you saying this, because these kinds of questions are old and overly repeated? Sorry :neutral:
  • wabmester
    Options
    No, not you. A couple other forum regulars are now using different names. Kinda confusing. :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    If you just avoid the starchy vegetables, you should have no problem staying under 100g. Avoid high-carb fruits, too, but you can enjoy berries.

This.

To get 100g of total carbs (not even carbs minus fiber) from, say, broccoli, you'd have to eat 1.5 kilos, or 3.3 pounds of broccoli. Brussels sprouts aren't much different at 1.4kg per 100g of carbs. I've been known to knock back one of those bags of frozen florets/cuts in a single sitting, but that's still a ton of broccoli. If you do the carbs minus fiber thing (aka "net carbs"), you're looking at more than double that.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Roasted broccoli with added coconut oil & spices is one of my favorite go-to's!
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    I've been known to knock back one of those bags of frozen florets/cuts in a single sitting

All. The. Time.

:)

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Roasted broccoli with added coconut oil & spices is one of my favorite go-to's!
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    I've been known to knock back one of those bags of frozen florets/cuts in a single sitting

All. The. Time.

:)

Yes! I'm so glad I'm not the only one that does that! :drinker:
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I only do this if meat isn't sounding good, and it's usually roasted asparagus or steamed broccoli, smothered in butter, and the broccoli in cheese, too. YUM! And believe me, it fills me up for HOURS!
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    HOW is anybody changing their user names? I would love to lose this FB moniker!

Nevermind. I figured it out.

• greenautumn17
    Options
    It is a myth that we need fiber on LCHF, just ask FITGoat. There is also that guy and his family (including the kids) who only eat steak (once a day, I kid you not!) so if you "forget" to eat veggies, you are probably going to be okay.
  • wabmester
    Options
    Who are you? :)
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    There is also that guy and his family (including the kids) who only eat steak (once a day, I kid you not!)

http://zerocarbzen.com/2015/03/09/zero-carb-interview-the-andersen-family/
  • Almoshposh
    Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
    Options

Sorry to be off topic but how did you change your user name?
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    I love their story. I have this on the "must read" list when folks ask me about this WoE.
  • greenautumn17
    Options

Sorry to be off topic but how did you change your user name?

Go to your page, click settings in the top bar, then choose the option to change user name - but you can only change it once.