am I only one disabled?

Options
boopsiegrl
boopsiegrl Posts: 105 Member
I was hoping to hear from others that were needing to loose weight but had disability struggles making exercise limited

Replies

• garymeer
    garymeer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yeah, so was I. I am limited as to what types of exercise I can do, and how much. I have Fibromyalgia which really places limits on me, as well as a couple forms of arthritis. I have had 5 spinal operations, and now have 8 vertebrae fused in two areas (neck and back). I was hoping that this group would catch on, but it does not seem so. I don't know how to advertise it on the site. If you can figure it out, please feel free to do so.
  • boopsiegrl
    boopsiegrl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am pretty new to this also I myself have problems with exercise as my feet seem to break at the slightest step that is wrong and shortness of breath due to injuries to my lungs I think Gary you may could go to some of the other chats and ask how to get a group started would probably be worth it
  • moobaloo13
    moobaloo13 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just joined this group via a link CJ posted on her disability chat thread, so hopefully you'll have a load of new members in no time!
    I have Ehlers-Danlos type 3, fibro, m.e. & PoTS, so I'm really limited in the amount and types of exercise I can do. At the moment my main form of exercise is walking my dog and I try to hit 7000 steps daily on my fitbit, but that in itself is often a HUGE challenge for me. I'm having regular physiotherapy at the moment and she recommended that I get a stationary bike with a backrest, so that I can do gentle exercise even on days I'm not up to leaving the house to walk. We shall see! I'm looking forward to the bike arriving so I can try it out though.
    My physio also recommended sitting on an inflatable gym ball instead of a chair/sofa whenever possible to strengthen my core muscles and burn some extra calories.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Hi-- I also saw the link in CJ's post. I have Myasthenia Gravis and Neuromyotonia, and have been dealing with a long MG flare that's had me homebound or hospitalbound since Feb. For the past week or so I've been able to breathe, chew, AND swallow all on my own!!

My exercise capacity is determined by the MG, so it's been pretty minimal lately. I use a Fitbit to track my steps and calorie burn. I just started a restorative yoga class, and do some core and strengthening PT exercises when I can.

I'm in the middle of a treatment course of Rituximab, with the hope of driving the MG into remission. My goals for the time being are increasing my self-care abilities, home-care abilities, and to take daily outings out of the house to increase my step count. I'm hoping to return to work part-time by August, and resume walking my dog as soon as I'm able! I'd also like to be able to resume swimming again, keep your fingers crossed for a good outcome from the Rituximab for me!
  • cjdsign
    cjdsign Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!
    CJ here and so glad you have this group! I know that you can post around the site on different comment threads, post it on your bio page the info for this group. The more people know, the more info for this group and it will grow! There is also a star outline that is on the groups first page and it can be highlighted and then found on your "Community" link under groups. Again, Thank you @garymeer for starting this group!

boopsiegrl
    - I am glad you are on here too. I do think this is a good way to keep all the info, recipes, support and all in one place and easier to access than the regular forum links (conversations links) as the threads are long and hard to follow some times. I found on http://calorielab.com a great way to add up your burned calories and they have good articles and a restaurant/foods calorie counter. check it out!
  • Gogohobbs
    Gogohobbs Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have EDS TYPE 3 and now herniated disks at L5?S1. I've been in chronic pain for 15 years.
    I have had sciatica for almost 10 months and am about to lose my mind . I have had a series of shots, rhizotomy and pt.
    I hope to make friends here that I can support and that will help me..
    I'm so glad to be invited here.
    Thank you CJ
  • cjdsign
    Options
    So happy to have you GogoMargo!! LOVE YOUR NAME!! :wink: So good to hear your good work outs in the pool!
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    One more here!
  • comic_mcfly
    comic_mcfly Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Took me a bit to join, I am here I'm 34 290 lbs 5'8" hight and have cerebral palsy .. I looking to go down to 100 lbs I don't care it takes 6 months whatever as long as it happens I'm looking to me healthy for my disability. The biggest issues I'n having is finding workouts. also I wanted to have a group of people that understood.
  • yasef13
    yasef13 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Took me a bit to join, I am here I'm 34 290 lbs 5'8" hight and have cerebral palsy .. I looking to go down to 100 lbs I don't care it takes 6 months whatever as long as it happens I'm looking to me healthy for my disability. The biggest issues I'n having is finding workouts. also I wanted to have a group of people that understood.
    What sort of exercise or movements do you think you can do? I have found some apps that have some light exercises and I skip any that I find too hard for me.

• cjdsign
    Options
    @comic_mcfly So glad you joined us! We are definately the group you were looking for. Everyone here understands what you have gone through and are going through. We all have something that has made us "unable to be Normal" So we are our OWN NORMAL!! YEAH!!! CJ I do my normal routines, then add something hard for me to do each day. That makes my work out.
  • comic_mcfly
    Options
    yasef13 wrote: »
    What sort of exercise or movements do you think you can do? I have found some apps that have some light exercises and I skip any that I find too hard for me.

if i can hold on to things i can do a lot of things my issue is if i dont hold on im down its a blace thing .. i have the main too are cp with spastic/ ataxix diplegia and i cant do simple things like tie my shoes but thats all part of the cp not my lbs but i learned to worked it out if you like send me the information and i will try if i cant do something ill be like you. shipping
  • yasef13
    Options
    yasef13 wrote: »

if i can hold on to things i can do a lot of things my issue is if i dont hold on im down its a blace thing .. i have the main too are cp with spastic/ ataxix diplegia and i cant do simple things like tie my shoes but thats all part of the cp not my lbs but i learned to worked it out if you like send me the information and i will try if i cant do something ill be like you. shipping

Here's a link to a video I find mostly doable,
    https://youtu.be/NQY8GElkkJI
    It is a routine you can do while seated.
    Also, if you go to the appstore and search stretching, you will find so many apps.
    I figure that stretching is still working out the muscles and is also helpful to those of us in pain, if we don't overdo it.
    I hope this helps and I'll keep you in mind, as I stumble onto more stuff.
  • yasef13
    Options
    I don't know what that video is or why this happened!!
    Anyway, go to YouTube and search 'Jessica smith seated'. It's a 19 minutes or so video.
  • comic_mcfly
    Options
    It's ok I'll check it out I'm down for anything right now I don't tomorrow I won't do anything I do a lot of cleaning and etc I over did it
  • BinaryFu
    BinaryFu Posts: 240 Member
    Options

I do not know if you are able to do so, but if you can even hold and work with a light weight, you could perhaps help build some muscle with weights. As for the pounds, what's worked for me so far is simple CICO (Calories In vs Calories Out) and tracking *everything* I eat while making sure I'm set to sedentary for my activity level.

By doing that, so far I've managed an average of 2lbs a week and have been able to keep it off this whole time.

Whatever solutions you find, I wish you well and pray you may continue this journey with us to a successful future!