Help me hang in there

Options
farmers_daughter
farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
Ok so for a little over two weeks, I've done pretty good with my LCHF (no I don't log here normally the app isn't working on my phone, so I do it old fashioned pencil and paper) and my only progress is that I poop really good. I feel better since I've gotten back in the gym. But I'm up 5lbs.

This is where the frustration begins to slowly set in.

Also on another note, putting pineapple chipotle salsa in your meat loaf well a version of meatloaf. Um OMG. Soooooo good! usually I just stick to onions and mushrooms for my daughter, but this loaf was for me. :)

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    If you have just got back into the gym in the last two weeks, the 5 pounds is probably water weight. Stick with it and see what happens! Also take measurements, don't rely just on the scale.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Also, repairing your metabolism takes time and calories... You've got to give this way of eating far more than two weeks for a fair shake. One person told us about a woman who slowly gained for 6 months but felt better, then everything clicked and she started dropping weight like mad. Most don't have to wait that long for results, but apparently her system was very broken.

If you're feeling better and pooping well, give it at least 6-12 weeks before deciding to mix anything up!

P.S. I don't know what your carb limit is, but I know pineapple salsa would likely be way over mine! :)
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    You probably gained some muscle going to the gym, this is a good news.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I agree, give it time and find other measurements besides just scale loss. I myself use the scale, tape measure, pictures, how my clothes fit, and comments from others. If I've succeeded on any one of these areas, I consider it a win. Also, good digestion is nothing to sneeze at.
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    I agree on the clothes thing!!! I always get excited about that! Yeah just frustrating to see that much of a jump on the scale. Ugh.
    KnitorMiss - My carb count is still bouncing around 100... I'm going to give that much more time to adjust before I start playing with it. :smile:

Keep on keepin on :wink:
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    At this stage, what matters is how you're feeling in terms of hunger and cravings. If you feel less hungry, then it's just a matter of time before LC works its magic on the scale.

For me, I'd say it probably took about a month before I started losing an interest in high-carb stuff. Then another month before I reduced snacking on even low-carb snacks, like nuts. By the third month, I was losing an interest in food. :)
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    how many carbs do you eat a day?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I agree on the clothes thing!!! I always get excited about that! Yeah just frustrating to see that much of a jump on the scale. Ugh.
    KnitorMiss - My carb count is still bouncing around 100... I'm going to give that much more time to adjust before I start playing with it. :smile:

Keep on keepin on :wink:

Whenever you do decide to reduce carbs, if you do, go for a steady rate. My doctor told me to aim for about 10 grams down daily, adjusting once per week until the cravings stop.

So, pick a day of the week, say Monday. Sunday you have your 100 grams.

Then next Monday, and each day that week or two - you'll have 90 grams as your limit.

Then the next Monday (or go a few weeks, your preference) - you'd have 80 grams as your limit. Adjust until you find that sweet spot of reduced cravings, gained energy, and slow but steady losses (even 0.2 pounds per week is good!)...or 2 pounds a month, whatever. Some people lose faster, some people lose slower, but the key is to look at the big picture. Glad to hear you're giving each stage a good period of time to gauge progress. :) That allows for better big picture perspective.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Like your advice @Knitormiss! If you find that cutting carbs to be tough, go slower. There are NO SET RULES!! Find what levels works for you and stick with it! You will be so glad you did!
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    Ok - I'm getting this, with the exception that I still feel like I need 1) something sweet like my cappucino in the morning, granted I've reduced it to 16 oz but still my brain goes stupid if I take it away. It's purely mental and I know it. And 2) this past weekend graduation partys (aka life) happened, do I enjoy the food there, do I eat the cake not... I'm guessing in the early stages no stay away from that stuff to reduce the exposure to relapsing into craving the carbs.

And lastly - good friggin d@mnit. I'm getting so sick of hearing other people lose 40, 20, blah blah weight. I'm trying d@mnit. I'm really trying. What's wrong with me!!!!!!!!!! Rawr! If a cappucino in the morning and high carb veggies, some of the kids spaghetti like once a month or god forbid piece of cake keep me at 245lbs I give the *kitten* up. I don't feel like crying and running my mascara here in the office so I'm gonna be mad about it.

I don't dare mess with portions yet, but I dunno maybe I'm being a wuss about that too, but I know what happened last time.
    How do you guys keep yourself accountable. I'm sorry to vent and whine, but gosh dang it. What isn't clicking upstairs.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Seriously, the "accountability" thing becomes a no-brainer if you can go cold turkey on the carbs for at least a few weeks. One piece of cake, one nibble of spaghetti and it's game over. You need to make it a habit. Find low-carb foods you enjoy eating.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    You either do it or you don't. I understand it's hard to go cold turkey, think about benefits you will rip and how proud you will be of yourself vs. being guilty because you ate cake or other sweet junk?
    Where there is a will, there is a way.
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I started adding a dash of cinnamon to my morning BPC. Really seems to help with the sugar cravings. Granted it's only been 3 days since I slipped & had 1/2 pce of cake, but I was still <50g carbs that day. My weight loss has been slow too. Just keep trying. I know it's hard when multiple meals are happening in same house. @KnitOrMiss really seemed to lay out a realistic plan for you. Try eating a different times as everybody else & would chewing a pce of sugar-free gum (1carb/pce) help stop you from nibbling kids' meals? ((Don't know if that's good advice, but if it stops the carb nibbling is it worth it). Hang in there & keep trying to find a way that works for you.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Ok - I'm getting this, with the exception that I still feel like I need 1) something sweet like my cappucino in the morning, granted I've reduced it to 16 oz but still my brain goes stupid if I take it away. It's purely mental and I know it. And 2) this past weekend graduation partys (aka life) happened, do I enjoy the food there, do I eat the cake not... I'm guessing in the early stages no stay away from that stuff to reduce the exposure to relapsing into craving the carbs.

And lastly - good friggin d@mnit. I'm getting so sick of hearing other people lose 40, 20, blah blah weight. I'm trying d@mnit. I'm really trying. What's wrong with me!!!!!!!!!! Rawr! If a cappucino in the morning and high carb veggies, some of the kids spaghetti like once a month or god forbid piece of cake keep me at 245lbs I give the *kitten* up. I don't feel like crying and running my mascara here in the office so I'm gonna be mad about it.

I don't dare mess with portions yet, but I dunno maybe I'm being a wuss about that too, but I know what happened last time.
    How do you guys keep yourself accountable. I'm sorry to vent and whine, but gosh dang it. What isn't clicking upstairs.

Where are you getting the cappuccino from? I know places like Tim Hortons' stuff is loaded with sugar. Like...a large (20oz) has 75g, and that's before the whipped topping. That's a ton of sugar, especially first thing in the morning, and may very well be sabotaging your efforts, especially if you're insulin resistant, which it sounds like you might be.

I feel your pain. I've been at this for nearly a decade, and with the exception of a six-month span with the help of huge daily doses of Metformin, I've had no real success to speak of. The closest I've gotten is when I first went carnivore, when I dropped 10lbs in 2 weeks, but I've been stalled out and bouncing ever since. (Ironically, I'm also stuck at 245lb.) I have become the queen of maintaining my weight, but losing with any amount of consistency has thus far pretty well eluded me (but I feel so close, dammit!).

I'm with wabmester on this one (*gasp!* OMG, we agree! ;)). The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results. If you want change, then you have to make changes.

I just posted the challenge for June. You might want to consider joining in on it. Maybe you could go with dropping your cappuccino, or replacing it with bulletproof coffee or something. One change, one month, that's it.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Consistency over time. It's that simple. Not easy. Never easy. But it is that simple.

Be consistent with your plan. You have to make the choice every day. Sometimes every meal. Sometimes between meals when temptation comes your way.

I'm not giving advice I haven't followed for 354 days thus far. I'm not saying you can't cheat every couple months.
    (I didn't do a single cheat for the first 6 mo on this WOE. I now have the control to have one every few months and go right back on-plan the next day. It has to be a truly special occasion.) But you can't make it often. It just doesn't work. Too many carbs sets off cravings that will, if indulged upon, self-perpetuate a binge cycle that will keep you smack-dab where you are: frustrated, unhappy, and not losing weight. And possibly gaining weight and losing health.

You have to divorce yourself from those carbs that are sabotaging you for a time. Your cravings for them WILL die. Sacrifice to some degree is necessary for just about everything worth having. It sucks, yes. It may not be fair. But in 6mo you will look back on your daily changes and choices that got you there, and you won't regret one second of any sacrifices you made.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    "How do you guys keep yourself accountable. I'm sorry to vent and whine, but gosh dang it. What isn't clicking upstairs."

I personally do a lot to keep myself accountable.
    1) I use this website! It does the work for you in the logging department. Also, friending people and coming to the forums gets other's involved in your efforts. This group is a great support system!
    2) I made a health/fitness Instagram.
    3) I made a YouTube Channel to document my journey.
    4) I told people that I know will keep me accountable (boyfriend, parents, best friends) about my goals and social media.
    5) Being honest with myself. These are my goals, and in the end, no one will care if I fail except me. I either have to do what I have to do to get to my goal, or I have to accept defeat.

I don't think 2) and 3) are necessary, however, the other bullet points are probably more applicable.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    What I am doing differently this time around is I am keeping all my food (and times I eat it), fasting days/hours, and exercise on a calendar I see everyday. I have my affirmations posted on my desktop where I can read them everyday. It has really helped me not to make excuses to return to bad eating habits or not exercising. I am accountable to myself.
    (My exercise goal is to record something everyday, even if it is a 10 minute walk, and trying to improve the next day.)
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    The keystone habit for me to be able to even start low carb eating was finding a way to drink my morning coffee that didn't involve sugar. I had a love affair with my morning cup: four shots of espresso in 16oz of milk, and around an eighth of a cup of sugar. Every morning. Sometimes another in the afternoon. And I am allergic to artificial sweeteners and sugar alcohols, so I didn't even have that to fall back on. Fortunately I am a coffee snob and actually like the taste of coffee and the intricate nuances between sources, blends, roasts, and preparation styles. A day of experimentation found that I really really like the body, mouthfeel and taste of a two shot ristretto in three ounces of heavy whipping cream. It is glorious, and even if I stopped eating low carb right this second, I would absolutely keep the new coffee.