Knees

Options
nikkib0103
nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
I am putting this to our group because maybe some of you have the same issue. My knees are fachacta. I can walk and do stairs (with occasional twinges going up). I am too young for replacement surgery and, anyway, I am nowhere near the kind of pain that would even allow me to think about it. My problem is that I will be merrily zipping along with a workout DVD and then they will start doing squats and lunges or jumping jacks or plain old jumping. I can, no lie, not bend lower than maybe an inch or so without hurting. I do slightly better on plies, perhaps because of foot position? As for jumping, at the moment I have no jump. It's as if my springs are busted. At any rate, has anyone done an effective workout that does NOT include squats and lunges and jumps? Preferrably nothing longer than 30 minutes. I know eventually I will be under the knife. But I am not looking for that kind of trouble right now. Even Classical Stretch has some lunging and squatting. It makes me think that I am just working out for nothing since I cannot do a good chunk of the workouts. I wish Jillian and Shaun T would make some workouts for people with limitations. I think I will write to both of them and see what they say.

Replies

• Brinasacat
    Brinasacat Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees myself and have been offered a joint replacement. Like you I'm waiting. I did have one scoped out several years ago. I go to Jazzercise 4-6 days per week. A few things I've learned are 1. Always do low impact, no jumping. I take out the hop, march, or make quick steps. Low impact does not mean low intensity! They show low impact options in class. 2. never ever let your knees go beyond your toes when doing lunges or plies. 3. for squats, make sure your knees are in line with your ankles and you butt is hanging out (like your peeing into a public toilet!). 4. to keep your heart rate up, make big movements with your arms.
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    Brinasacat, thanks for the ideas. I do modify, I just wish they made workouts specifically for people like us. And you give the best instructions for a squat. That's exactly what it looks like.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. My knees are snap, crackle, pop. I recently found a beginner/senior yoga program. Google DoYogaWithMe.Com The stretches have really helped with my pain and flexibility. Some of the poses I just can't do b/c of my knees, but they constantly give you alternatives or say don't do this if it hurts. I thought it would be a bunch of hooey, but I am actually getting better, which is great considering I am 63.
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    I would love to find a good yoga program. I have a wonderful DVD I did 10 years ago. Sadly, it is now too much up and down on to and up from the floor now. I am only 51. I am hopeful that losing significant weight will improve my knees.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I heard somewhere that every extra 10 pounds you carry adds something like 5 times that amount on your knees. I sure can tell a difference now that I have shed the pounds.
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    I like Jessica Smith Walking for Wellness and Leslie Sansone walking DVDs. With Leslie's, you can turn off her chatter which can be annoying. Jessica also has a beginner yoga DVD that I find to be gentle. With other workouts, I just go as low as I am comfortable doing.

Have you tried Aquafit classes in the pool? Zero impact on knees.

Since I have been working with the trainer and losing very slowly, my arthritic knee muscles are stronger. It is sometimes grueling during the workout, but well worth less pain in the long run.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've had a few knee injuries - patella fracture, ruptured PCL, lost 90% of lateral meniscus, laxity in medical and lateral ligaments. Now 5 years past predicted date for a total replacement.

There's a few things that aren't good for me (lunging, squats, running, kneeling) but there's loads of things I can do. Main thing for me is cycling, I'm hoping to set a new PB for cycling next month with a 200km ride.
    It's really good for leg strength, very controlled movement and crucially for me, no impact.

Would say one of the important things is to keep your quad muscles strong as they help enormously with knee stability.

Rowing is good, using stairs whenever possible also makes a difference. Walking and swimming should also be considered. Really worth getting professional advice on what is best for an individual's particular needs and abilities.

• nikkib0103
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice, You've all given me something to think about.
  • delaneysmom46
    delaneysmom46 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had a total knee replacement this past October after years of suffering - Dr. had been advising me to have the surgery for several years. I was considered a bit young (53)for the surgery but in my case didn't have a choice plus the Dr advised that the newer knees that they use are lasting much longer than they used to. During my active/sports playing years I had 4 major surgeries on that knee and there was nothing left that could be done. That being said, it was the best thing I ever did. No more chronic pain and I can do almost anything that I want (within reason). Anything with deep knee bends and squats are still not something I intend to try. Even though it is major surgery, it is something to consider if you have pain and limitations on a daily basis.
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    Delaneysmom, yes, I know I am probably going to get it sooner rather than later. I am not in consistent enough pain to really consider it right now. I just get annoyed that I cannot bend my knees the way I want to. It's a limitation I am living with. I am glad your new knees are working for you. Did you get them both done at the same time? I hear that's pretty rough!
  • Purple1105
    Purple1105 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi all. My name is Tina. My knees have bothered me for years.... I have had duo the crab movement or two feet on the same stair for a bazillion years. But I figure if I get some of the weight off I can prolong shots or replacement. Working out has been a challenge but I found a few toning exercises on Fitness Blender that have been great.
  • burnsgene42
    burnsgene42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I had athroscopic knee surgery done on one knee years ago. Ended my running as a hobby . Took up biking.
    Seems to really work. Burn a lot of calories and makes your legs stronger with no pounding on the knees.
    If you're not ready to venture onto the streets on a bike , an indoor bike setup will work just as well.
    Good Luck.
  • sebenza512
    sebenza512 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I had some knew pain some years back when I took up walking again. The ortho doc said that I had a very small tear in the meniscus, but he gave me a couple of pages of exercises, told me to do them at least 5x/week and start losing some weight. I did all of those and the pain got very much better. Those exercises were to strengthen the muscles that stabilize the knees and after awhile there was no more pain. Even now and I've walked a few half marathons in between. My limit on squats now is how far my quads will stretch, not my knees.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,165 Member
    Options
    I have a torn meniscus on the left knee, and general more minor ick (arthritis, etc.) in both. I'm on a path to knee replacement eventually, according to my ortho. I had one cortisone shot over a year ago when the pain became severe enough to wake me at night. I also went to PT to have them teach me to walk & climb stairs in ways that stress my knees less (helpful).

YMMV depending on details of your problems, but by experimenting, I've found I can do things that involve straight-line hinging motions of the knee; but that torque on the joint, or impact, will cause problems. I usually ice for 20 minutes or so after major exercise, though.

I row multiple times/week (on water in season, on machine during winter); take spin classes twice a week; and bike intermittently in season.

I strongly feel that losing weight (34 pounds so far) has reduced my knee pain.
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    Ann PT77, you sound a lot like me. i, too, was very surprised by how weight loss helped reduce my knee pain.
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    I wish Jillian and Shaun T would make some workouts for people with limitations. I think I will write to both of them and see what they say.

Have you considered water aerobics? or routines on a trampoline? I hear there are some nice You Tube videos.

• nikkib0103
    Options
    I don't have easy access to water aerobics, unfortunately. I will eventually find something that will spare my knees!