Cant wait to get my coconut oil!

DinoChicken
DinoChicken Posts: 44 Member
I'm having trouble reaching my protein/fat ratio goals.. I've never tried coconut oil, but I'm hoping to switch to that instead of half-half in my coffee and maybe mixing a tbs with NY cream cheese snack before bed.

Anybody else that can't live without cream in coffee try it? I'm quite the snot.. I have to have exactly two tbs half half in every cup.. And usually start my day with 3 cups.. One cup in the evening.
Also.. How am I going to get my nutrients when the oil doesn't have any?? I do take a multivitamin but I like to get mine from food too..

Replies

• sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    I wouldn't worry about nutrients, half and half doesn't have much in that way. And I find that I like my coffee best with both, but either or is totally doable too
  • DinoChicken
    The worry isn't from the creamer.. Its from the calorie expenditure.. Right now my creamer is 120 cal for three cups worth. With coconut oil EACH cup will contain that many calories.. So I'm 200+ calories less nutritious food just to get empty calories of fat..

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    less nutritious food just to get empty calories of fat

Are you in the right group?

• Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,071 Member
    kirkor wrote: »
    less nutritious food just to get empty calories of fat

Are you in the right group?

I agree...this woe may not be for you, unless you overcome your aversion to fat. For us, the fat is essential, not empty calories, but important calories. The trick is to find the ratio of macros that helps you feel your best.

If you stay, why not switch the half and half cream for heavy whipping cream ? Many here do drink coffee with cream and many don't. If you like cream, you will find less carbs in heavy cream. You can have your coffee any way you like. I alternate between coffee with heavy cream and BPC with butter and coconut oil, and I like both, and it helps me get my fat in.

For me, calories are important to track otherwise I will consume too many and will gain weight. I find a balance between my coffee calories and food calories that satisfies me, and I feel great. Just make sure you save enough of your calories for food and don't use them all up on coffee and you should be fine. I gave up the multivitamin years ago and don't feel that I am lacking nutrients.
  • DinoChicken
    Yes I am in the right group and I don't have an adversion to fat. I use real butter and love my almonds, avocado, and pumpkin seeds.. I love bacon and fat back.. But I do have to watch my overall calories.

My concern was with trading my protein sources for a fat source like coconut oil. ..but honestly I just tried the coconut oil in my coffee and I think a tsp is plenty per cup.. So I'm happy enough. I'll mix some in with my evening cream cheese and almond snack so that I'm getting 2 tbs a day which is doable. I was originally concerned because I was estimating using 4 tbs a day but now I see that it will be 2.

And incidently, it is important to know what benefits a food gives you in addition to carbs/fat/protein .. I eat livers regularly and I assure you its more than a C/F/P source. The same goes for choosing an egg over a similar portion of meat with fat.
  • spunkyabroad
    spunkyabroad Posts: 137 Member
    I'd just remind you that fat is a limit, not a goal. You want to hit your protein goal, eat under your carb limit and eat enough fat for satiety.

Glad you're liking the coconut oil!