Low calorie diets

Options
marekdds
marekdds Posts: 2,211 Member
First let me say, I am not a proponent of very low calorie diets. It is a recipe for disaster, not only for your health but eventual failure and re-gain. However, the "numbers" aren't as straight forward as many on the forums proclaim. Older and especially smaller women have a much smaller margin for error. At 63, my BMR is about 1240. If I don't exercise my energy expenditure is 1650. So I have 410 calories to play with to gain and lose weight. So right off the bat, I must exercise to be able to cut enough calories to even lose a pound a week, forget two pounds, without going below my BMR. My net may still be below my BMR. That leads to the mind-numbing, frustratingly slow process of maybe .5 lbs a week. Now I am 5'6" and 132 lbs, it is even worse for shorter women, or people with limited capacity to exercise. It is easy to see why many get frustrated and quit; most especially during weeks when you seemingly do everything right, but still not lose or worse, gain. Now I am not trying to lose, but the opposite is also true. Not much room for error or I am gaining. The constant vigilance is a real pain. Getting the appropriate macro and micro nutrients is a tight rope. In my rambling way, I am trying to say don't jump too hard on people with lower calories than you think they must have, (unless it is extreme). Everyone must find their path to lose and stay healthy. I lost my weight (80+ lbs) exercising, taking a lot of the crap out of my diet and eating back most of my exercise calories. It was a slow process, but it has been gone over three years. If a lifelong fatty can do it. You can too.

Replies

• JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I'm 57, 5'6" and have small bones. My goal weight (where I seem to do best) is between about 129 to 132. I had 63 pounds to loose when I started. I've lost 20. I seem to do great as long as I stick to eating "real food" (no highly processed) and moderate exercise (gardening or general exercise of most any type at a minimum). It seems that the moment I start eating out a little more or using pre-packaged foods, my weight loss comes to a screeching halt, along with my energy, exercise, motivation, ... So, for me, I'm learning that my life journey will revolve around old-school nutrition. Fortunately, I love the food and I'm learning to enjoy the journey. I certainly enjoy feeling better and the food tastes better. Yesterday, I enjoyed some beef stew made with pastured beef, organic vegetables, and homemade beef bone broth. This morning was buttermilk pancakes made with freshly milled organic wheat. The picture is the extra broth that I have for other uses this week. Yum.
    eav3o1ea5p41.jpg
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thank you for an inspiring post, marekdds! Helps keep me focused and slogging through. I am currently re-losing 10 pounds I lost a couple of years ago but slowly gained back. Maintenance was really tough. I got sick and tired of weighing, measuring and logging everything, but I have come to the conclusion that it is the only way to maintain weight loss as we grow older.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I lost more weight and MFP recalculated me to 1260 calories. I am not loving it. I am 5'10". I think it is kinda low and I am struggling a bit. I am going to give it the old college try for a week and see how it goes. At the end of the week (if it doesn't start goofing around again) I am expecting my period. I get so hungry then! If I can manage this week, with all it entails, it should be okay going forward. Otherwise I will scooch my calories up 80 or so and deal with any consequences. also, I changed my macro percentages from 50% carb to 45% carb and raised my protein by 5% points. Do you think it's a mistake? I was at my doctor's last week and he warned me against too many crabs...
  • marekdds
    Options
    nikki, speaking as a carb girl, I am usually at 45 -50% carbs and I still lost weight. I am a firm believer that you have to eat what you like or you will eventually fail. Just mange what you eat and hit all your macros for health. Most doctors don't know crap about nutrition, maybe yours does, but it is about 2 weeks in most med schools. As you lose weight you will lose slower and slower. If you tell mfp you want to lose a certain amount per week it will calculate it for you, but might not be what is best.
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    This is such a timely post for me as I struggle to find the right calorie mix. I know age is a factor, but I have about 60 pounds to lose, and it is crawling along. I am 5'5".

I started, in earnest, mid December. After 154 days of logging and exercise, I have only lost 15 pounds. My calories are set at 1350-1400. I eat less than half exercise cals back, and I just lowered my carbs from 30% to 25% My protein is 40 and fat is 35. I exercise 5x a week 60-90 minutes; a mix of cardio and I do weight training with a personal trainer.

I'm pretty much at my wits end. I try to do something different each month to see if that will produce a loss. I've done all the calculations for TDEE.. but not sure about eating 1600+ calories. MFP had me at 1250 to lose 1-1.5 pounds a week, and I tried that to no avail. I started a body pump class last week, and as I mentioned, reduced my carbs a smidge. I have not lost anything for nearly a month now..so I'm already thinking of what I will change in June.

BTW.. I do weigh/ measure, eat very little processed foods, drink lots of water, not diabetic or other health issues.

Thanks for starting this thread.. I need help.

Connie

• marekdds
    Options
    Dear Connie, that is a lot of exercise for 1400 calories. How do you calculate your burns? Something is off, just need to figure out what it is. The best advice I got for a plateau was to change things up. For you it might be to do less for a week or so. Are you stressed out? That can keep the weight on you. Have you had your thyroid checked? That was one of the problems for me. I could not eat just 1250, that for sure is below your BMR. It can be so frustrating. Anybody else have any thoughts?
  • lovesretirement
    Options
    @marekdds I try to eat half the MFP exercise cals back. I also have a Fitbit that is synced to MFP. I usually don't go over 6,000 on the steps because I can't wear it in the pool where I do Aquafit and Aquazumba.

Since I just reduced my carbs a little and started the body pump class, I will not start anything else that's new.
    However, next month I may up the calories.
    No thyroid problems.

Thanks!
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    @lovesretirement I also try to mix things up monthly and stay away from worrying too much about daily fluctuations. I use a VivoFit tracker precisely because it could be worn in the pool (shower, rain). It also reminds me when I have been inactive too long and nags me to meet goal (which adjusts as your activity improves) I have lost almost 20% of my body weight, slow but steady now. It is true that we lose slower as we age, but it sounds like you are also exercising quite a bit, so your body is probably toning and putting on muscle that you don't realize. Are you taking measurements? Non-Scale Victories are the best! Try to find something positive about your "new life" and share. It will all be worthwhile, even as the scale shows only slow but steady progress.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Connie, I think Jen's advice is really good. The only other thing I can think to recommend is to do a reevaluation on your logging accuracy. I know you said you weigh and measure, do a double check on your calorie counting.
    I did this a couple of months ago and found a few items I was eating regularly that either were entered wrong or my portions were getting generously large.
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    Sometimes, Connie, changing things in a way that seems counter to everything you have ever heard can be what you need. Sometimes doing less, eating more nudges things right along. This is why I don't lose my mind when I go over a day here or there because, oddly, the scale will show a good result soon after. But a bad result if I keep it up more than that.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    It is easy to see why many get frustrated and quit; most especially during weeks when you seemingly do everything right, but still not lose or worse, gain. Now I am not trying to lose, but the opposite is also true. Not much room for error or I am gaining. The constant vigilance is a real pain.

^^^ This describes right where I am now. I'm 6'0" and my CW is 235. I've lost 90 lbs, but still have 30 to go. I would never describe the first 90 as easy, but it seems the difficulty to lose more has definitely increased. I recalculate my calories every 10 pounds of loss, so in total, my daily calorie allotment has dropped by 340 cal/day, currently at 1420/day and I don't eat back my exercise calories. At the same time, my energy level has increased and so has my exercise and activity level. With being more active, I would have thought the loss would continue, but that hasn't been the case.
    I feel like I'm constantly pushing the line on handling my hunger level and the evenings are the worst.
    Do you have any suggestions?
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    BRaye325 wrote: »
    marekdds wrote: »
    It is easy to see why many get frustrated and quit; most especially during weeks when you seemingly do everything right, but still not lose or worse, gain. Now I am not trying to lose, but the opposite is also true. Not much room for error or I am gaining. The constant vigilance is a real pain.

^^^ This describes right where I am now. I'm 6'0" and my CW is 235. I've lost 90 lbs, but still have 30 to go. I would never describe the first 90 as easy, but it seems the difficulty to lose more has definitely increased. I recalculate my calories every 10 pounds of loss, so in total, my daily calorie allotment has dropped by 340 cal/day, currently at 1420/day and I don't eat back my exercise calories. At the same time, my energy level has increased and so has my exercise and activity level. With being more active, I would have thought the loss would continue, but that hasn't been the case.
    I feel like I'm constantly pushing the line on handling my hunger level and the evenings are the worst.
    Do you have any suggestions?

I wish I did. Ones night last week I was starving but with just 5 calories left I was left with nothing. So I had a huge glass of water and went to bed. Had breakfast two hours earlier than usual the next day. Night is when I want to eat the most. I suppose you could save 100 calories for then bur you would probably just be hungrier the rest of the day. Maybe drinking more water would help but it's not my favorite idea.
  • marekdds
    Options
    If you aren't eating back your exercise calories and you are exercising a lot and you are hungry, then eat. I had periods like that. But they didn't last long b/c I can't go w/o eating. Oddly enough I raised my calories a bit and started losing again. Can't explain it, just worked for me. I'm not saying go nuts, but a 100 or so calories of quality food is never a bad idea. You may lose slower then in the beginning, but you will lose. Be patient, though, give it a few weeks before you make different changes.
  • lovesretirement
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @chamblisk thanks for the Vivo tracker suggestion. Mine is coming from Amazon tomorrow! Looking forward to not having to charge it and wearing it in the pool.

I decided to take an extra rest day today, basically lighten up exercise a little and stay at 1400 calories for the remainder of the month. (I was down an ounce today. :s ). I agree, something is amiss.. I just need to find out what it is. Most online calculators say my calories (with exercise) should be 2000+ range. Yikes! I cannot imagine eating that many calories even though I probably ate that much when I wasn't tracking and exercising. I may try easing into it to see what happens..maybe add 50 cals a week or something.

I have lost inches...everything feels sooo much better...my swim unitard is sagging in the crotch! B) I've moved to a smaller size in my dressy black pants. (I have them in several sizes :) so I love to go shopping in my closet.) These NSVs are great, and I should not look to the evil >:) scale for validation, but tend to do it anyway.

Connie
  • debloveswine
    debloveswine Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Jen, I just can't loose. I stretch for 10 minutes every am, followed by at least 20 minutes of leslie sansone walking, go to the gym a couple of days a week, lot's of up and down cleaning, etc. Problem-I have a desk job. I eat between 1300 - 1400 calories every day. I'm 5'3-1/4" (yes, I need to add that 1/4 inch) and need to lose about 30 lbs. I've recently tried to cut way back on carbs (except veggies & some fruit) and only lost .5 lbs in about 1 week. I'd be happy if I could just lose a lb or 2 a week. According to Fitbit I am no where near eating my exercise calories back. Help!!!

• lovesretirement
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    Sometimes, Connie, changing things in a way that seems counter to everything you have ever heard can be what you need. Sometimes doing less, eating more nudges things right along. This is why I don't lose my mind when I go over a day here or there because, oddly, the scale will show a good result soon after. But a bad result if I keep it up more than that.

I'm doing some research on zig-zagging calories, and it's pretty interesting. I will do this next month.
  • marekdds
    Options
    First, you probably aren't going to lose 2 lbs. a week with only 30 to lose, but a pound a week should be doable. How intense are your walks? Sometimes steady state just keeps you where you are. Can you do sprints for 30-60 seconds, walk a bit, then sprint. It is about getting the heart rate up. What kinds of things do you do at the gym? I hate weights but they really to fool the body into giving up some fat. At work, make sure you get up every half hour, even if you aren't allowed to walk around. I will double check your diary when I get a chance. It always seems good to me, but since something is amiss, may warrant closer inspection.
  • debloveswine
    debloveswine Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good tips Jen. I'll give them a try. I use wait machines at the gym but probably not enough. Also use the bike,treadmill and elliptical. Thanks for your help.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Machines at the gym can trick you into thinking you're working hard when you're not. Can you sign up with a personal trainer at your gym for a couple of weeks so he or she can show you how to lift free weights instead? I'm not talking about heavy lifting, just how to use free weights instead of machines to work out your various muscle groups without hurting yourself.
  • marekdds
    Options
    Good idea, or lots of videos on you tube, showing proper form for free, if you don't want a trainer. I do some weights, but I lift "medium".