Getting back to lifting after injury

Options
joe2626
joe2626 Posts: 123 Member
On Monday I was doing my Week 9 Stronglifts session and, as always, I warmed up well with both static and dynamic stretching and built up to my 5x5 weight. On my third set, third rep, I went down and on the way back up my groin on my right hand side tightened and the sharp pain caused me to drop the bar, failing the rep.

I didn't think a huge amount of it as it didn't hurt initially after. However, when it came to stretching for my session today, it felt really tight and very painful in a dull way. So i've clearly done some soft tissue damage there and will be out of action for a few days (despite my judgement) until i'm confident that I can continue to lift again. I will continue to do pull-ups and other iso exercises that don't involve the groin until i'm repaired.

So, I have two questions. Firstly, i've been advised to ice the area frequently and only do light stretching. I was wondering whether you guys knew of any good stretches that might help my groin? Also, when the time comes to return to lifting, what's the best way to re-introduce myself to the SL program? Should I go for full weight or perform some sort of deload? I'm very much a novice lifter and have never had this experience before.

Thanks in advance.

ETA: The damage is not particularly bad and certainly not a serious injury, but enough to make bodyweight squats very uncomfortable and squatting with the empty bar painful.

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    tagging
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...to follow responses...

...(and to say that this is one of those issues where the answer is so incredibly individual-specific).
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    In...

...to follow responses...

...(and to say that this is one of those issues where the answer is so incredibly individual-specific).

Me too. I think each situation can be very different, even for the same person.

Usually, I rest until it doesn't hurt like hell anymore. Then my first week back I'll work my way back up. Like a day of 50%, a day of 65%, a day of 80% and then the following week I'll be back to full if I still feel fine. If the pain re-emerges at any point, I rest more or continue at my light work schedule, if tolerable and if it's not aggravating. Sometimes a week is all I need. On the other hand, I tweaked something in my hip squatting once, and I couldn't squat for literally months afterwards. Still did DLs, bench, etc but at a certain point in the squat (just north of parallel) I was getting a sharp twinge of pain. It's been 6 months and I swear I can still feel it a little sometimes.

So yeah, honestly, a lot of this stuff you just have to trial and error it. At the very least, rest until you can do BW squats without discomfort. Then go from there. Move slow. Losing progression by being tentative is NOTHING compared to injuring yourself worse and being out for months and/or having to seek medical attention. Don't rush!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I've had some similar experiences. I'm probably a horrible person to take injury recovery advice from since I tend to injure myself a lot...(or maybe I *am* a good person to take recovery advice from...but not injury *avoidance*).

I've had some tweaks that were so bad I could barely walk for a week, but was completely recovered with no restrictions 3ish weeks later...and I've had some that seemed so minor as to barely be a nuisance, but persist for many months. I still feel like something isn't quite right in my hip despite full contrast MRI indicating nothing serious.

That said, my "official" advice is that you don't have to wait until *all* pain/discomfort is gone to try returning to activity, but listen to your body and don't be afraid to shut it down if it starts to feel worse in any way during the activity. When you start back, start very, *VERY* light. Consider it a test phase. Do this very light workout and see how you feel during, immediately after, and the next day. Based on those clues/feedback, consider bumping up the weight a little, dialing it back, or completely shutting it down for a while longer.

And if a particular movement causes problems but others don't, do the others. Just because a movement is one of the "top three" and an awesome part of your program, don't feel like it's that or nothing. Be flexible. When you recover, *then* you can get back to the basics.

Personally, for a groin problem, I'd consider doing a lot of walking. One, it keeps you moving, and two, it keeps blood flow going to the problem area. And yeah, frequent icing is almost never a bad idea.

As for stretches, those are outside my area of expertise/knowledge. I have a set that I do, but they're nothing special...and google will provide plenty of them. Find some you like (and while you're recovering, find some that don't aggravate the problem).

/EndRamblingResponse
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    As it looks like the question has been answered, I am locking the thread so we can track active ones. Please feel free to PM either myself or SIdeSteel, including a link to this thread, if you want to add to it, and we will unlock.
This discussion has been closed.