Vit B12 Levels - some advice

Options
ChelleBelle2708
ChelleBelle2708 Posts: 131 Member
Hi all,

I had bloods done the other day as Ive been feeling very tired, very low, brain fog is back, amongst other symptoms.

B12 came back at 261 - Range is 180-900 - would you say this is low and in need of Vitamin Tablets/injections.

Folate is 4.7 - should be under 4.6

VitD was 74 - I forgot to ask for range

Any advice?

Thanks x

Replies

• lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the Folate or B12, but I believe VitD is good at 74. I believe the "normal" range for Vitamin D is 30-100, but my doc prefer to have me over 50 if possible. He was thrilled when I got mine up to 78 (ng/mL).
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me exactly how much vitamin D & B12 to take. Ask yours.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    My doctor told me exactly how much vitamin D & B12 to take. Ask yours.
    +1
    OP what did your dr recommend?

• editorgrrl
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Never mind.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I had bloods done the other day as Ive been feeling very tired, very low, brain fog is back, amongst other symptoms.

B12 came back at 261 - Range is 180-900 - would you say this is low and in need of Vitamin Tablets/injections.

Folate is 4.7 - should be under 4.6

VitD was 74 - I forgot to ask for range

Any advice?

Thanks x

When I feel that way I always suspect my thyroid but often times it turns out to be low iron. Was that checked also? Not all docs check iron levels for a thyroid patient who presents with fatigue. Concerning your B and D. My doctors don't usually check my B levels and I have to ask to have my D checked most of the time. The one doc who did pay any attention to D liked me to be on the high end of the range. I always supplement on my own with super B complex per advice of a dietician. Good luck tracking down why you're run down! For what it's worth 've heard rumblings across forums here on MFP of allergies making folks feeL rundown lately.
  • ChelleBelle2708
    Options
    Yes iron was tested and I was midrange. Can't remember numbers now. He's pretty good at testing everything that's required.

Won't get a chance to speak to him till Thursday now, that's why I thought I'd see what others thought

Thanks for advice everyone
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor prescribe oral B12 to try? When my B12 numbers started coming back low, they first tried me on 1000 mcg of methylcobalamine per day, dissolved under the tongue. When I went back a month later, my B12 numbers were even LOWER, so they got me on monthly injections. I went back after 6 months, and my numbers were off the bottom end of their scale... So now I get shots every two weeks and I feel MUCH. BETTER. I have found some slight differences in how I feel if my B12 is low versus when my thyroid is low. Just STAY ON TOP OF THIS, because b12 is used to process thyroid. Once you get your B12 numbers up into a range that works for you, you should recheck AT LEAST your TSH. After my B12 numbers came up, I had to go to a lower dose of thyroid, because I was processing it more efficiently.
  • Kycatz101
    Kycatz101 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have you done the Schilling Test? My B12 got so low at one point that I had serious symptoms. I was pregnant at the time so I took shots until I stopped breast feeding and then had the Schilling Test. It showed I had no issues absorbing B12, which the doc said was weird. That was years ago and I still get it checked every few years.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I'm pleased you've had your consultation. Hope they come up with something for Thursday.

B12 deficiency does not have to be part of hypo/hashi though its more common to be so. Its the same as not all hypo/hashi are lactose or gluten intolerant though 3/10 are probably GI.

Vit d deficiency can cause some crossover symptoms with b12 deficiency, both are vital for conversion. Why do are our bodies have to be so complicated?

All the very best
  • ChelleBelle2708
    Options
    Thanks everyone - Seen endo and he's advised me to take B12 1000 mcg of methylcobalamine with a retest in a months time. Vit D levels are very good. I've also had a slight adjustment to meds too
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Thanks for the update.
  • Vickiti
    Vickiti Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I found I was often deficient in a wide range of vitamins and minerals - some of them even when supplementing.

It was found that Low Stomach acid was the reason - which is prevalent in Hashis. I now take Betain HCL with Pepsin at Lunch and dinner. The increased acid means my stomach can now break down my food better releasing the required nutrients. I do supplement too, but at least now they are going IN rather than going through. :)
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    @Vickiti - How did you find out about your stomach acid levels? Is there a test for that? I think mine may be low too. Contrary to OP, my B12 is too high and I have no idea why but advised to reduce any supplements that I take with it from every day to every other day.
  • Vickiti
    Vickiti Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I did the Heidelberg test after repeated bouts of anemia even while supplementing. Doc said it is not conclusive but as he has now seen my vastly improved blood test results - especially for Iron, Ferritin and B12 he agrees that the Low stomach acid "was probably the cause" but it was grudging lol.
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    @Vickiti - thank you for the info, I seem to have a similar problem - no matter how much iron supplement I take ( and we are talking 50-100 mcg / day ), my levels are always close to being anemic. I'll ask my doctor about it.
  • SkinnyKerinny
    SkinnyKerinny Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I was also helped from the HCL. I self-diagnosed based on symptoms (massive antacid intake) and bought the HCL over the counter. In a day or two-- no more heartburn and probably was assimilating nutrients better (but didn't test for any of this through a lab/doctor).