Low Carb Ice Cream - Help!

Options
2»

Replies

• KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Place cream and raspberries/blueberries in the blender until smooth. Mix in unsweetened greek yogurt by hand. Freeze in lollypop moulds. If making it for children I use sweeter/more fruit (strawberries and mangoes work well). I don't add sweeteners. Cream + cocoa powder + coconut oil and then greek yogurt also work great but may need some sweetener for those not used to 99% chocolate.

It helped me a lot when I was starting because icecream was an addiction. Now I rarely want it but I will be making some for Summer, both because I like the idea of having icecream available and for visiting children.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    radiii wrote: »
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=960105

Something like that is really easy, you can do different flavors, cocoa powder, a little fruit, nuts, etc. I think you can mix a little water and less heavy cream if you want it to be less calorie dense as well.

@radiii You, my dear, are a saint!

I just made this and put cocoa powder in, I should've shook longer, actually I should've poured it in my ice cream maker lol.

It turned out delicious, it was so good I had to run out to the garage so my boyfriend could taste it too. It was so easy and so delicious.

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions, I can't wait to try them all.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Try my LC Cheesecake Ice Cream!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MistressPi/view/lc-cheesecake-ice-cream-745061

I am adapting ice cream recipes pretty easily, to use in my little Cuisinart Ice Cream Machine. Basically, start off with a recipe that asks you to use real cream. Substitute unsweetened almond milk for dairy milk, or use a mixture of cream and water (or you can use sucralose-sweetened "simple syrup" [or any Torani or DaVinci SF syrup] plus a little cream and you won't have to dissolve your sweetener). I used xylitol as a sweetener in my last batch.

The first time I made LC ice cream I added 1 T food grade glycerine and 50 mL alcohol to the mix prior to processing in my ice cream machine. This keeps the resulting product from getting too hard in the freezer, so it is scoopable whenever you want to eat some. The last recipe I made I didn't add either of these ingredients, but I believe the xylitol (which is a sugar alcohol) had the same effect.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @MistressPi I'm going to try that too. Does xylitol cause any stomach discomfort?
  • MistressPi
    Options
    Not that I've experienced. Erythritol is good, too. Keep in mind that I'm eating that ice cream 1/2 C per serving, I never eat multiple servings. You won't want to, I think. It's very rich.

Maltitol! Maltitol is the devil!
  • MistressPi
    Options
    Also check out this thread:

"Green Tea Ice Cream"
    http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=289870

This very long thread has scores of recipes in it, with people refining the basic recipe and trying different flavors. Try my recipe for Strawberry Ice Cream!

from February 2014:

"Strawberry Ice Cream"
    http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost.php?p=8841591&postcount=146
  • MistressPi
    Options
    MistressPi wrote: »
    Not that I've experienced. Erythritol is good, too. Keep in mind that I'm eating that ice cream 1/2 C per serving, I never eat multiple servings. You won't want to, I think. It's very rich.

To clarify: never use maltitol! It causes distress for a LOT of people. Me included. I won't outrage you with the details.

• auntstephie321
    Options

To clarify: never use maltitol! It causes distress for a LOT of people. Me included. I won't outrage you with the details.

So, if I'm reading this right, I should NOT use malitol. :)

I'm going to try the cheesecake recipe tonight, I think I will use splenda since I already have that.
  • MistressPi
    Options

So, if I'm reading this right, I should NOT use malitol. :)

I'm going to try the cheesecake recipe tonight, I think I will use splenda since I already have that.

:)

If you use granular Splenda, the carb count will go up, as it is full of fillers - 24g carbs per cup. If you do use Splenda, you might want to add 1 T glycerine to improve scoopability when it's frozen. Or try adding 50 mL Absolut Citron vodka (I think they come in minis) - you shouldn't be able to taste it in the final product.

• auntstephie321
    Options
    Ok thanks, I don't have either. You mentioned xanthan gum somewhere, could I use that? I only used 6 packets of splenda so it wasn't too much. The carb count is still low enough for me.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Scooped perfectly without adding anything. Thank you so much. It ended up being higher in carbs than yours but I can work on that to get it lower. It's so good I can't believe I made it lol
  • Artemis68
    Artemis68 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    http://eatingacademy.com/quick-faq#ice-cream this looks like an easy recipe.
  • MistressPi
    Options
    Ok thanks, I don't have either. You mentioned xanthan gum somewhere, could I use that? I only used 6 packets of splenda so it wasn't too much. The carb count is still low enough for me.

I've never used xantham gum. It is mentioned in the Green Tea Ice Cream thread, but I don't remember how it improves the end result.
  • MistressPi
    Options
    Scooped perfectly without adding anything. Thank you so much. It ended up being higher in carbs than yours but I can work on that to get it lower. It's so good I can't believe I made it lol

The reason it's higher is because I don't count sugar alcohols in my "net carbs" calculation. You're so welcome. I'm psyched that you got a good result. David Lebovitz has some great recipes!! His book is called, "The Perfect Scoop". I'm going to try his Chocolate Ice Cream next. :)

• auntstephie321
    Options
    @MistressPi I knew I saw it somewhere. It didn't need it at all so I'm glad I didn't add it. I'll have to check out that book, it's so nice to make your own ice cream not full of sugar. Thank you!
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Clemmy's brand of ice cream is apparently fantastic, but I can't find it anywhere (every store in my area, from Stop & Shop to Whole Foods, uses the same distributor so if one place can't get it, no one can). Not willing to pay for shipping if I order it from their website!
  • MistressPi
    Options
    glossbones wrote: »
    Clemmy's brand of ice cream is apparently fantastic, but I can't find it anywhere (every store in my area, from Stop & Shop to Whole Foods, uses the same distributor so if one place can't get it, no one can). Not willing to pay for shipping if I order it from their website!

I've had it, and it's really good. Unfortunately, I haven't seen it in awhile. And I have my own ice cream machine now!