Bod Pod / resting metabolic HR / and V02 Max results

Options
wildthingsmom
wildthingsmom Posts: 26 Member
This is kind of long winded.. but i want to share because especially in this group, we know how hard it is to lose those last few lbs, and how discouraging it is when we don't see that scale move.

So as a b-day present to myself, I did the above tests. I'm in an 8-week challenge at my gym, so while I've lost a few of the winter "bloat" lbs, I have been bummed that based on my calories and workouts, that I haven't lost more. I'd gained 7 lbs from January 2014 so it was my goal to lose those 7. Turns out that while I haven't lost as much weight, I HAVE become more lean.. I was 15 % body fat based on bod pod results.

Even more interesting, based on a true resting metabolic HR test vs the general calculation used, I was too low on maintenance calories. 1364 vs. 1528. My trainer actually agreed that I should increase my calories as my body frankly just needs more to kick start weight loss (and lets be honest.. an extra 200 calories/day while it adds up, is like a 1/4 cup of nuts or the extra 1/2 of an avocado.

Lastly, my VO2 max testing came back awesome. While my HR monitor again does the "zones" based on age, this showed that it is much harder from me to get into zone 4 & 5 - so my monitor would frequently show me spending 50% of my time in those zones but its' actually less. So fewer calories being used than reflected, BUT using more FAT burning calories vs. being in an anerobic state.

So worth the $$ to honestly know that even if I didn't lose a single pound, I actually HAVE changed my body and in all positive ways.