Just Fun Stuff

Options

Replies

• luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    LOL Mac love the running dialogue in yoga class. You should hear my mind while I'm running..........it's pretty bad and mostly negative except for the small pep talk I keep giving myself to counteract all the crap I'm thinking about.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,931 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    LOL Mac love the running dialogue in yoga class. You should hear my mind while I'm running..........it's pretty bad and mostly negative except for the small pep talk I keep giving myself to counteract all the crap I'm thinking about.
    In yin yoga, the poses are held for up to 5 minutes and you're supposed to relax and be as still as possible. If anything can get that inner dialogue stirred up, it's trying to be still. Add the element of physical discomfort from stretching. Now amp it up by trying to focus on your breathing. Now... close your eyes so the focus is inward...

You know... when I write about doing yoga and enjoying it... what the heck am I thinking??
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I think we enjoy yoga (you) and running (me) after the fact! ;)
  • UncleMac
    Options
    boozeyogabydrinking.gif
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,015 Member
    Options
    2ugfrckuivs3.jpg
  • UncleMac
    Options
    This one kind of brings the last few pictures I added together...

yoga-lady-when-wine.jpg
  • UncleMac
    Options
    ec777c4f8743271e9e7b5572e526f8d3.jpg
  • UncleMac
    Options
    4007673e6a820a908be75e09275779cb.jpg
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Funny-Yoga-02.jpg
  • b3achy
    Options
    Think this was from 2004, but given Matthew's pending loopy dee doo, this might just apply to FL right now...

q1m01mbssc6u.jpg
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    A friend swears that he can stay focused while doing yoga. But maybe his brain is a little different from other brains as he is on the autism spectrum.
    The rest of us do what we can. For me, yoga is more about the process than the state.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I've had some experience with autism. One of my son's university classmates is a red-headed version of Sheldon Cooper. For the past three years, he boarded with us during the school semesters. They definitely do have a different view of the world. I wonder if yoga would help him to focus?

For myself, I prefer yin yoga... slow meditative stretches with asana held for up to five minutes. There are physical benefits but, in my case, they're outweighed by the mental benefits. As odd as this might sound, I get more benefit from yin yoga than I do from regular meditation. When I meditate, I find it more difficult to remain centred than while doing yoga as the stretches give me something to focus on.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    home-exersise-equipment--(03).jpg
  • UncleMac
    Options
    A61yMkSCcAA8HL7.jpg
  • b3achy
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Before Matthew is just a memory...one more hurricane funny. At least when the waves are up, it's a good way to get the cardio in.

qov8uiowivtb.jpg

BTW, not belittling Matthew's tragic affects...lots of cleanup to do in NE FL, GA and SC. Our thoughts and prayers are with all those negatively affected by it, especially those in Haiti and Cuba. But those of us in FL, do have a bit of an odd sense of humor when it comes to hurricanes and tropical storms. Sometimes you have to laugh else all you will do is cry.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    I've had some experience with autism. One of my son's university classmates is a red-headed version of Sheldon Cooper. For the past three years, he boarded with us during the school semesters. They definitely do have a different view of the world. I wonder if yoga would help him to focus?

For myself, I prefer yin yoga... slow meditative stretches with asana held for up to five minutes. There are physical benefits but, in my case, they're outweighed by the mental benefits. As odd as this might sound, I get more benefit from yin yoga than I do from regular meditation. When I meditate, I find it more difficult to remain centred than while doing yoga as the stretches give me something to focus on.

He reports that Yoga does seem to help him focus. He likes Tree pose especially for that focus.
    Meditation by itself is hard, one teacher explained to me, in part because we do not have the tradition in the West.
    I like your explanation of the meditative benefits of yin yoga with asanas held for relatively long periods.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    b3achy wrote: »
    Before Matthew is just a memory...one more hurricane funny. At least when the waves are up, it's a good way to get the cardio in.

qov8uiowivtb.jpg

BTW, not belittling Matthew's tragic affects...lots of cleanup to do in NE FL, GA and SC. Our thoughts and prayers are with all those negatively affected by it, especially those in Haiti and Cuba. But those of us in FL, do have a bit of an odd sense of humor when it comes to hurricanes and tropical storms. Sometimes you have to laugh else all you will do is cry.

Seeing the surfers on t.v. out in the storm does make me smile. They have few chances in Florida to get some waves.
  • b3achy
    Options
  • UncleMac
    Options
    third-eye-exam1.gif
  • UncleMac
    Options
    0002.jpg