Extra arm skin/fat

gemberly
gemberly Posts: 67 Member
I've been working out/keto since January. I still have a way to go. 55#. As my arms gain more definition, I just see this unsightly arm skin/fat. My arms are nearly three sizes bigger than the arm holes of clothes that fit my waist. :( Anyone have this ever tighten up? What helped?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    I've not yet had this happen, but I would imagine, arm exercises in general would be helpful for toning under the fat layer, which your body will let go of when it is ready. It stinks that we can't target fat to reduce, but the body decides that. As for the skin, each person is different. I've been significantly overweight for 20 or so years, so I think my skin lost all of it's elasticity... It's one of the things I'm really not looking forward to once I lose more fat/weight... LOL I've been told, keep on plan, drink tons of water, get lots of sleep, and nurture your skin (coconut oil, etc.)... Aside from that, not much to be done unfortunately.
  • gemberly
    I guess I'll just have to pay to have it cut off. It's like inches of hanging skin already. I'm trying to gain muscle to fill it in a bit, such a slow process.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,764 Member
    Yeah, I've lost 160+ lbs and my arms are like Dumbo's ears. It sucks. I lotion them, etc... but nothing helps. Once I finish losing weight (I am at 212.8, hoping to get below 160 in the end), if I can maintain for 2 yrs or so, I plan to seriously look into surgery to fix my arms, plus abdominoplasty and panniculectomy.
  • gemberly
    Congrats on the loss! That's awesome!
  • gemberly
    Congrats on the loss! That's awesome!
  • gemberly
    I play roller derby, it's bad enough that I can kinda tuck it in my elbow pad. It gets all bruised up. Just kinda frustrating!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Yeah, I've lost 160+ lbs and my arms are like Dumbo's ears. It sucks. I lotion them, etc... but nothing helps. Once I finish losing weight (I am at 212.8, hoping to get below 160 in the end), if I can maintain for 2 yrs or so, I plan to seriously look into surgery to fix my arms, plus abdominoplasty and panniculectomy.

I feel the same way - once I hit a good weight I want to live with, and can maintain it a length of time, I'm perfectly comfortable with some vanity surgery. It will be a nice change of pace to be vain for once!
    gemberly wrote: »
    I play roller derby, it's bad enough that I can kinda tuck it in my elbow pad. It gets all bruised up. Just kinda frustrating!

wow. That sucks! Can't wear a compression sleeve or anything that would keep it tucked in place?
  • Nicole9187
    Nicole9187 Posts: 122 Member
    I've recently noticed a similar issue in my arms, they have noticeable sag which was not present before, but also some definition as well. I'm with the others: once I get to goal weight, I don't mind having surgery.
  • gemberly

gemberly wrote: »

wow. That sucks! Can't wear a compression sleeve or anything that would keep it tucked in place?[/quote]

I could. But it's already so hot and bulky. I guess I'm getting down on myself for over eating during all my pregnancies...and creating this problem. But whatever. I can pass this on to the kids, and I'm am getting healthier anyway.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Oh, the arms issues, I do a lot of arm workouts with Dumbbells to not much of results, I got some biceps definishen but triceps are just not budging and floppy skin isn't attractive at all :(
  • gemberly
    I have my trainer working on this too. I need my triceps bigger! I think it will look at least a smidgen better.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Unfortunately for me, "The Wings" run in my family. My mom has them, and I have them in spades. I've been losing weight and also lifting, but the definition isn't there yet. I do target the triceps and arms with a few exercises. I am hoping that as I build muscle, it will help, uh, pull that skin up and away from the flappy (yes, flappy - not flabby) tricep area.

You know what, though?
    I'm honestly just mad at women's clothing manufacturers for deciding we all need some teensy little sleeve cap instead of an actual "short sleeve" like men's shirts get! Who the heck decided this is the design to go with? :( Heck, some shirt styles WITH sleeves I can't even wear because the upper arm parts are the size of my wrist (which, btw, is tiny and dainty).

-T.
  • gemberly
    I totally hear that! My waist is like a medium and my arms are xl at the top. No button up shirts fit ever.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    I've had good luck with button-up shirts for work from Chadwicks and from New York & Company. The key is to look for the ones that have just a touch of lycra in them.
    *looks on the NY&Co site*
    I think Fall is the best time to buy that type of shirt...but good news - it looks like some looser sleeve styles are in for the season! YAY! Dolman Sleeves - embrace your wings and emphasize them even more. haha!
    *flaps away* ^,,^ (vampire bat)

-T.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    wingzfashion.com/

A friend suggested this site and I'm totally going to try it after I lose some more and need a new wardrobe.
  • gemberly
    Thanks. I'll checked those places out! :)
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    I make most of my own clothes and adapt patterns to always have a flattering sleeve. Or I make sleeveless dresses and have a collection of pretty cardigans to wear over them. Try it- it's not nearly as hard as you'd think!
  • gemberly
    I guess I'm at the point where I don't want to wear a sleeve or a cardigan over everything. I also make my own clothes (when I felt like it!). I live in florida and I play sports, and gets pretty hot. I think I'm just going unapologetically let it hang out. ;)

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    I studied doing Bariatrics for a while and that happened to a lot of people who lost 100+ lbs. I saw somewhere that it takes about 2-3 years for your body to pull it all back in. I saw some before and after pics. Google Bariatrics loose skin and see if you can find some websites or pics. And I think if you do the same on youtube you'll find something. (If you do, post it here too).

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Fat Head (the History of the Demonization of Saturated Fat)
    What If We're Wrong about Diabetes? Peter Attia
    First Do No Harm, A video that shows how the Ketogenic diet cures epilepsy. Meryl Streep
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited June 2015
    Teneko, hit upon my cure ..."women's clothing manufacturers...some teensy little sleeve cap instead of an actual "short sleeve" like men's shirts get!"
    So, I wear men's short sleeve shirts, picking the pinks and florals,, pretty designs. Mens shirts are so much cheaper in the stores anyway and in the feminine colors they are always in the clearance sections - double bonus. I'm a bit chesty so women's button downs at work make me feel very self conscious, I'm always checking the gap or need to tape it shut. If you are handy at sewing, cut the bottom of a man's shirt and use the material make a wrap waist or tailor the sides. I don't care for the darts anyway and I get the sleeve coverage I want without looking like I'm hiding anything. (not me in the pic. but I wear that look with a cami under)
    lv9gnqvdq03i.jpg