When should we redo our macro's?

Options
jumanajane
jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
Hi all I was wondering if we should redo our macro's after a while or a certain amount of weight lost??? Anyone know and, if so, after how much lost??

Replies

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I do mine once per month, regardless of loss. If I haven't lost much, it might be time to reevaluate them anyway. ;)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,513 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you would. I prefer using grams, but since MFP broke that for me and I refuse to pay them, I just set my stuff to 5% carbs (actually am on 5g or less daily right now), 20% protein (and shoot for my 85g) and 70% fat, which fills the rest pretty much.

You adjust calories after weight lost, but your macros can stay the same unless you are tweaking them (experimenting with somewhat different rations for weight loss/feeling best)

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    As you lose weight, your caloric needs change. Probably one reason everybody seems to "plateau" after 6 months or so.

Here's a chart for women:

calorie-requirement-women.png
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    As you lose weight, your caloric needs change. Probably one reason everybody seems to "plateau" after 6 months or so.

Here's a chart for women:

calorie-requirement-women.png

I always love how my weight is above what they consider the "heaviest" numbers they should chart... One day soon I won't be able to say that anymore!
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I check mine every 10 lbs or so I lose. I've adjusted my calorie intake as I've lost, but other than that everything else is just experimentation.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I only change calories according to my weight the rest pretty much stays the same
  • jumanajane
    Options
    @knit or miss I look forward to the day you tell us that!
    @Wabmesters no link showed up.
    I have no intention of changing my % just wondered if the cals should be adjusted. If you add what I lost before starting MFP I have lost 7kg (15lbs). Just musing.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Gosh. According to that chart I'm eating a deficit of about 700 calories a day. Is it accurate?
  • wabmester
    Options
    That chart assumes a certain age and height. Most calculators will probably be more accurate, but it shows how calorie requirements change with weight.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss I remember feeling that way when looking at BMI charts in January. My BMI was 51.8, it's 38.5 now and I show up on charts! You will get there too.

I don't ever feel the need to change my macros. I did up from 1200 to 1350kcal some time last month though.
  • jumanajane
    Options
    @Wabmesters could you repost the chart please??
  • jumanajane
    Options
    No worries @wabmester...I was on my mobile...thought that could be the prob. Can see it now I'm on my laptop! Thanks.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    @KnitOrMiss I remember feeling that way when looking at BMI charts in January. My BMI was 51.8, it's 38.5 now and I show up on charts! You will get there too.

I don't ever feel the need to change my macros. I did up from 1200 to 1350kcal some time last month though.

According to my heaviest weight, my BMI was about 55%-60%, give or take. It is now in the low 40's. I've got another 25 or so pounds (11 or so kg) to go before I'm considered just OBESE instead of morbidly obese... That's my goal by end of year. I'm hoping I finally broke my stall of 6+ weeks... It might just happen yet.
  • minties82
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I was obese class III (very severely obese) and only just gotten into obese class II lately. It does feel good to go down a class. Still have class I to reach and then overweight (sigh).

At my height it is convenient to figure it out. 88.8kg takes me from obese class III to class II. 77.7kg from class II to class I. 66.6kg to get to overweight and 55.5kg is finally in a healthy range. I am 85.5kg so still a bit to go.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,513 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    minties82 wrote: »

According to my heaviest weight, my BMI was about 55%-60%, give or take. It is now in the low 40's. I've got another 25 or so pounds (11 or so kg) to go before I'm considered just OBESE instead of morbidly obese... That's my goal by end of year. I'm hoping I finally broke my stall of 6+ weeks... It might just happen yet.

When I started out, I was class III morbidly obese, with a BMI of 55.4. 13 months later, I am 10lbs from falling into the merely "overweight" category. If I could do cartwheels I would be!
  • minties82
    Options
    @nicsflyingcircus well done! I hope that is me next year. I'm down 29.5kg and have another 33.5 to go.
  • jumanajane
    Options
    Wow!Well done all of you!! That's amazing! I haven't had as much to lose but I am still 6.5kg away from being merely overweight rather than obese. The difference between that and normal I don't even want to think about! Lol. Be happy to take baby steps and set lots if mini goals.
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    I don't even know any of those details. My doctors never tell me what my classification is, they just say "You need to lose weight." Great, how much? Any suggestions? They are so helpful, those GPs.
  • wabmester
    Options
    They're probably cynical after a while. They know weight loss will help, but they also know most people can't make the lifestyle change, and even those who do lose weight gain it back later. Most of them are ignorant of the magical powers of low carb. :)
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    They're probably cynical after a while. They know weight loss will help, but they also know most people can't make the lifestyle change, and even those who do lose weight gain it back later. Most of them are ignorant of the magical powers of low carb. :)

Yes, that is probably true. But I have even gone so far as, upon meeting a new practitioner, bringing up weight loss myself, as in, "So I know I'm extremely overweight, and I don't want to stay this way because I look and feel awful every day, but I want to lose weight the healthy way--no medications, no meal replacement bars or shakes, etc. What would you advise?" And I've come away with, "Walk every day and focus on fruits and vegetables." Seriously? Not even a referral to a dietitian, since you obviously know very little about weight loss? Nope, that's literally it.