Tents

Options
scribb
scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
What do people like using to camp in? I enjoy using my ENO hammock setup. Great for the rocky sites and to stay off the hard ground. I have used it down to 30 degrees with no issue. This year I may try lower temps.

Replies

• jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Home-made tarp, pretty much a piece of 3 mil plastic with some grommets and tape. But if you feel you have a good system going you may find a good bottom quilt keeps you pretty warm in your hammock. In winter you either fight cold ground or cold wind and they both have their issues.
  • scribb
    Options
    I have a good set up. I am currently using a home made wrap to go infer the hammock. I sewed a space blanket to the inside of a wool blanket. It keeps the wind out and the heat reflected back. Also getting better with changing inside the hammock.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I use a 4-season bivy (Outdoor Research Alpine Bivy). It keeps me dry, keeps the wind off of me, is fairly lightweight, and has sides and a bottom (so no leaks even from the ground). I use an inflatable sleeping pad to keep me off of the cold ground and different bags depending on temperature. I've used the same bivy in summer and in <0F temps in the winter.
  • katec418
    katec418 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am in TX and have a Kelty two person and a Coleman two person. The Kelty is my favorite. Both excellent tents. Have withstood high winds, hot temps (great ventilation) and have been used in snow too. Though at the moment I think I will be sleeping in a boat, lol. I saw a company that was making some very cool hammock tents that seemed worthy to invest in.
  • scribb
    Options
    Each hammock tent manufacturer makes them a little different. I would suggest trying a few before buying one.