Depression - possibly thyroid related

Options
ChelleBelle2708
ChelleBelle2708 Posts: 131 Member
Last night I broke down yet again, and this time it was bad. I spent most of the evening alone crying. I haven't slept either.
I know my levels are off, and I'm waiting to hear from Endo (tomorrow by phone) with action plan, but the feeling I've had the last couple of months are just getting worse, and I've never had anything this bad.
I'm getting to the point I want to give up on me, on my life, everything. I don't know whether to go to GP about it. My dad had depression and was driven to drink... he's no longer with us. I'm scared this will happen to me. I'm just at a loss as to what to do.
I've had worse levels in the past, but my head/feelings/emotions have never been anywhere near this bad.
Things have been tough lately too... I have never gotten over my dads death, especially as last time we spoke was not on good terms. Recently I found out he had another child, I have a half sister, and now she wants nothing to do with me. Everything is just piling up and I honestly feel out of control.
My app with Endo face to face isn't until mid-July. I don't even know if this is all down to my thyroid issue or not.

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    You don't have not till the endo's phone call, keep on keeping on going. I hope it will give you some good news. I am hopeless when I'm waiting for appointments or outcomes. Tomorrow can feel like a life time. You seem to have so much going on at the moment. It can't be easy discovering what you knew was only part of your family's history.

Depression can be thyroid created. The brain needs more or as much t3 as the rest of the body. Some a mental health patients who do not respond to the conventional medications for their conditions are put on to some form of thyroid medication and recover. There are mentions all over the place for this. In the health world so much is put down to stress. The problem is none of us live in a perfect bubble which is constant so you can accurately say this is normal to you and that is stress provoked. I think a medics assessment of what is stressful is subjective. Ones personal experience may be, where I am is less bad than where I was, for example.

The probability is at the moment you are less well able to think through what is going on in your life as you would be were your thyroid and associated systems were working well.

Take care.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Please, get a therapist! My Hashimoto's was misdiagnosed for years as depression, and therapy's the only thing that kept me sane (pun intended).
  • ChelleBelle2708
    Options
    I've been diagnoised with thyroid condition
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    So have I. Therapy can help you, too.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Therapy is prescribed by the over worked GP to many misdiagnosed, undiagnosed should be hypothyroid patients causing years of in appropriate medication which does not work and extended periods of pain. A good psychiatrist may put a person onto t3 when all else fails and this gets them out of the mess. A therapist no matter how good can't. Good, true friends are of more benefit.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    OP said she's waiting to hear back from her endocrinologist. I suggested therapy in addition to treating her thyroid—not instead of it.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    It's definitely true that thyroid conditions are sometimes mistaken for depression. I saw a therapist for a little while after my father's death and she was one of my big proponents of pushing my other docs on the thyroid as she thought a lot of my symptoms were thyroid related rather than a mental health issue (after taking into account the grief/healing over my dad's death).

I know it's really hard, but one simple thing that really helped me was going on daily walks. My therapist really encouraged me to do something active as that can help -- the endorphins from physical movement and simply getting fresh air. Even if all I could muster was a 15 min walk, she really wanted me to try to do it. And, it did help. So, if you can even do something like that in the meantime, it may help. Of course, it's not a longterm solution, but it may help you weather the current storm a little more easily. I'm so sorry for all you're going through.
  • ChelleBelle2708
    Options
    I have had blood results and they are not that far out from normal, yet I feel the worst I have ever felt.

At the moment I've been doing couch to 5k and today I managed the full 5k. I love running and do feel great doing it, though I proper crash when I'm done, both physically and mentally.

Thanks for everyone's advice
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I have had blood results and they are not that far out from normal, yet I feel the worst I have ever felt.

At the moment I've been doing couch to 5k and today I managed the full 5k. I love running and do feel great doing it, though I proper crash when I'm done, both physically and mentally.

You may want to read more about what is "normal" for your circumstances, especially if you have Hashi's. There are many of us that were told we were "within range" for years and still had awful hypo symptoms, and that is in part because with Hashi's, you can never know exactly how effective the hormones are. It's autoimmune, so the antibodies block a certain amount of the hormones -- and there is no test currently available to differentiate these. So, although your hormone levels look normal, you could effectively be considerably low and it's all the more reason docs need to look at symptoms in addition to blood results for Hashi's patients (which is the most common cause for hypothyroidism).

• ChelleBelle2708
    Options
    I don't have Hashis. I was overactive with Graves and had Total Thyroidectomy. My normal is higher end numbers, and they haven't changed much since February when I was feeling so much better than I do now.
  • Bhlinebee
    Bhlinebee Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Honestly you have a lot going on with your life - family issues, not having fully dealt with your dad's death, and possibly other things. While you actively work on fixing your thyroid meds, which you'll find out soon once you talk to your endo ..it doesn't hurt to find someone to talk to. I find value in Therapists, maybe you have friends or family that you could reach out to for support ...or both!

I love that you posted something and reached out for human response, that shows you care and are in your present mind recognizing that this isn't normal for you or in general. Just keep reaching out ... don't stop, keep after the Endo, call a Therapist, find a friend on here that you can maybe email back and forth with etc, keep running, watch what you eat, make sure you are hydrated, work on sleep (google it, lots of suggestions) or if it makes sense I sometimes take 1 unisom to help me sleep when I'm desperate and going through a insomnia cycle. For me - one good night of sleep helps so much in so many areas.

Don't give up, keep trying different things!! Feel free to add me and direct message me. I can appreciate being in a hard spot w/family and having thyroid issues on top of it.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

Congrats on the c25k!! Is it possible you aren't getting enough/right nutrition? I crash after strenuous workouts and stress if I'm not eating enough or the appropriate macros. I know that I'm dealing with stress SOOOO much better now that I'm on NDT instead of Synthroid/cytomel. Sending you warm regards!!!