Meativore May - May 22 Check-In

Replies

• KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

But...but....I like knowing the whys and wherefores of things! I'm like that 5 year old kid who asks "why?" all the time until the adult gets so fed up they shout "I have no idea, please just leave me alone!"

We are all like that or we wouldn't be here trying to find what's wrong with the "healthy eating" everyone else advocates. :wink:
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Weight May 1, 205.4,
    May 23, 204.4.

I reported in on the first day about the super busy month ahead. I have managed to stay meativore through all of these celebrations! I've cut the birthday cakes without licking my fingers (the second one was last night) and had NO desire for the carbage. Was great family time though.

I've been away from home for three days to celebrate my son's high school graduation. I haven't logged my food since Tuesday and I can tell (leg cramps during the night last night) I haven't been eating enough sodium, or calories. I've learned to keep a tally, in my head, and don't believe I've been over 1000 calories. Plus, I missed my butter! None of the places we ate out at had real butter! So fat intake has been limited too. I did indulge in some spirits on Wednesday evening (I haven't had a drink since New Years) with vodka and diet cranberry juice which had 2carbs in 8 ounces. Of which I had about 12 oz total. I don't drink enough to even consider myself a drinker, so it hit hard, and I believe it came through in some weird posts on mfp (I apologize for that). I will stay away from mfp if I do any drinking in the future. But, we had a great time!

The Fibromyalgia continues to improve! I am super amazed at how fast that has been happening and I agree with Goat that some healing takes place before the body gives up the weight. This is my main motivator and it's the best motivator I've ever had for any woe!

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    I'm down another half a pound or so, to 242.8. This makes me particularly happy, because it's right about where I got stuck while I was on Metformin (bounced between about 240 and 243 or so).

I'd love to see the 230s before my weight cycles high for the coming month (though fingers crossed it doesn't do that this month).
  • rkufeke
    rkufeke Posts: 73 Member
    edited May 2015
    Starting weight: 167.8
    Current: 162.8

So I was super excited when I jumped on the scale today and it was that low! The last time I weighed I was 165.something, I think that is the biggest drop I've had at once since way back in the beginning of keto when I lost 12 lbs in 2 weeks! I haven't weighed this little in at least a year and a half. I blew past 20 lbs lost and instead went from 19 straight up to 22! 22 lbs lost in exactly 12 weeks, thanks to keto and now ZC :) Tomorrow is my day to take measurements (I do them once a month), so I'm looking forward to seeing inches lost too!
    This week was good. My husband and I were getting tired of chunks of meat for dinner (pork steak, chicken thighs, burgers, etc), so I changed things up this week and made a cilantro lime salmon one night and chicken fried steak with sausage gravy the next night. Both were awesome, and we also used the cilantro lime butter on some chicken thighs which was yummy as well. The chicken fried steak though... Omg I think I could eat that every day! I also made "egg rolls" with Asian seasoned ground beef rolled in prosciutto. They were a little salty but still good.
    We've gone through probably 15 dozen eggs this month, easily... But amazingly I'm not sick of eggs. I think I could eat 2 eggs fried in bacon grease every day for the rest of my life and be happy.
    I had a pretty hefty glass of homemade sugar free kahlua with a splash of heavy cream last night... And I had 2 breve coffees with sugar free syrup added this week. That's about the extent of my "cheats" for the week. I couldn't sleep last night though (I'm assuming from the kahlua) so that is definitely not going to be a regular thing.
    I wore a pair of jeans this week that has NEVER fit me since I got them, so that was exciting too :) My husband and I are going to a bed and breakfast for 2 nights next weekend, so we will see how things go with that. Breakfast shouldn't be a problem, but eating out the other meals might be a challenge.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    I'm going to "second" (or is that third now) the idea that dragonwolf and FIT-goat were mentioning about high cal days, low cal days and just stopping eating when full.... I NEVER would have dreamt this possible. Before zero carb I couldn't even imagine what that would feel like. To just.... stop eating 'cause... you're done eating. What the heck did that even mean? Now I know too! What a cool feeling. When you feed your body what IT really wants/needs, it lets you know. How wonderful is that? I mean come on. It's brilliant. I did the same thing last week. Just, stopped eating. I was full and TRULY did not want anything more. What a relief!
  • KarlaYP
    It is a wonderful new wol @gsp90x! And the satiety lasts for hours, for me! I'm a converted meativore, lol!
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    I had planned to return to eating VLC including vegetables when this month was over, but the small amount of vegetables I have had in the past week have left me feeling absolutely awful - acid reflux and nausea.

Do you think this has revealed some sensitivity I wasn't aware of, or have the processes in my stomach stopped equipping themselves for the more fibrous vegetation?

For reference, I have now had my stomach upset by asparagus/sweet potato/caesar salad, onion/chilis/tomato, and onion/chilis/strawberry.

Other than those three meals, I have just been having my BPC, meat, frequent egg salad, and minimal cheese (maybe one slice per day, often none).
  • KarlaYP
    I had also planned to return to some carbs after the challenge, but if they make me feel bad after eating them I won't be. I was thinking maybe salad and maybe some blueberries when they ripen in June. Will keep a close eye on how I feel if I do.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    I never knew how much problems vegetables gave me until I removed them entirely. I always just assumed my body was normal and everyone felt the way I did after eating. I just thought rumbling, growling guts were part of being alive. I assumed gas and occasional cramps were just part and parcel with being human. I thought [redacted] was just because I was unlucky, and wasn't a result of my diet.

When I removed them, all those issues cleared up. When I added them back (for a week during my honeymoon) the issues all returned with a vengeance. I won't go back to feeling like that all the time. I didn't know how miserable my digestion felt until it no longer felt miserable. It's a lot like being very overweight. I had gotten used to being as heavy as I was. I didn't really notice or think about the fact that I was carrying 30 kg (70 pounds) of extra weight everywhere. Now that it's off, I wouldn't want to do it even for one day. I could, if I was hiking or something and needed to bring in some supplies, but it's not something I would go back to doing without really strong need.

The way my migraines, digestion, mood, and overall health have improved without vegetables (combined with how quickly I can lose all those benefits if I go back), has convinced me to stay the path.
  • KetoGirl83
    I don't know if this a problem or not (and it is early days for me) but my blood ketones have plunged since I started eating no vegs. My levels vary a lot (I'm assuming because of glucose oscillation) but on keto it's very unusual to go below 0.4.

I started my meativore experience 4 days ago and my ketone levels have been 0.1 / 0.3 / 0.2 / 0.1. I'm a bit disappointed and wondering if there's something I'm doing wrong. It would be really difficult for me to increase fat without any veggies to go with it but I'm willing to try if that's what it takes.

I've also stopped my usual morning decaf with coconut oil (actually stopped having breakfast, I feel no hunger before lunch time), could that be a reason?

Anyone else doing the meativore month that measures blood ketones and is willing to share results?
  • rkufeke
    rkufeke Posts: 73 Member
    So I just did my measurements for this month, and I am down 5.25" overall! I cleaned my closet the other day and found that either I fit or am REALLY close to fitting a ton of things that used to be way too small too. Pretty happy with these results :)
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »
    I don't know if this a problem or not (and it is early days for me) but my blood ketones have plunged since I started eating no vegs. My levels vary a lot (I'm assuming because of glucose oscillation) but on keto it's very unusual to go below 0.4.

I started my meativore experience 4 days ago and my ketone levels have been 0.1 / 0.3 / 0.2 / 0.1. I'm a bit disappointed and wondering if there's something I'm doing wrong. It would be really difficult for me to increase fat without any veggies to go with it but I'm willing to try if that's what it takes.

I've also stopped my usual morning decaf with coconut oil (actually stopped having breakfast, I feel no hunger before lunch time), could that be a reason?

Anyone else doing the meativore month that measures blood ketones and is willing to share results?

Maybe I panicked too soon. It's now 7pm and my BG is 81 and ketones 0.7. Maybe the fasting values will get better. :smile:
  • FIT_Goat
    edited May 2015
    I've measured them before, and never had them go that low. How many calories/day are you eating (if you're tracking)?

More importantly, how is your weight loss and energy level?

Edit: Ah, you've just started a couple days ago. Give it a week and don't stress about the ketones. Most carnivores don't measure them or track them. What's important isn't the level of ketones, it's that your weight and energy levels go in the right directions. You will probably find they go back up. But, even if they don't, if your weight is going down and your energy is up (both of which should be true), then the ketones also being low shouldn't matter.
  • KetoGirl83
    @FIT_Goat thank you.

I started logging again and I'm going to do my best to keep it accurate. So far it's been not as difficult as I feared but there's a whole month ahead, lol.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Have you increased your cheese consumption? After being in ketosis a while, I ate way more cheese and that almost booted me out of ketosis.
  • FIT_Goat
    I, personally, don't log anything. But, increased calories will reduce ketones. Some other things can reduce them as well. I don't think reducing ketones is a bad thing, as long as your weight and energy levels go in the right directions. Ketones are neat, and when I did keto they were a big deal for me, but I don't think they're worth focusing on to the expense of changing a diet that's working anyway.
  • KetoGirl83
    gsp90x wrote: »
    Have you increased your cheese consumption? After being in ketosis a while, I ate way more cheese and that almost booted me out of ketosis.

I rarely eat cheese except for some mozzarella with tomato once a week or so and that will be off during this month, of course. It was probably just as FIT_Goat says, yesterday I ended up above my usual calories and that plus the change in diet must have disturbed things.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I never knew how much problems vegetables gave me until I removed them entirely. I always just assumed my body was normal and everyone felt the way I did after eating. I just thought rumbling, growling guts were part of being alive. I assumed gas and occasional cramps were just part and parcel with being human. I thought [redacted] was just because I was unlucky, and wasn't a result of my diet.

I mentally miss vegetables an awful lot, and was looking forward to going back to using them sparingly after this month was over. Now I'm not so sure. But I also may have experienced more GERD from just pork products (somehow I ended up eating almost exclusively pork meat over the weekend, but it was mixed with vegetables so it's hard to say which is to blame).

I was about to wean myself back ONTO vegetables over the course of this week but now I'm torn on what to do. Nothing is conclusive, and I haven't done anything consistently enough to know for sure.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    [redacted]

:grin:

• FIT_Goat
    kirkor wrote: »
    [redacted]

:grin:

lol, and if you notice, it's one of my few posts that wasn't edited after I posted it. :smile:
This discussion has been closed.