@ Goal Weight, Want to Lower BF%

Options
islandgirl76_
islandgirl76_ Posts: 86 Member
I PM'd both Sara and Sidesteel and then realized I was supposed to post it here instead. Sorry about that!

I have read the recommended threads are here is where I am...

STATS:
H: 5’4”
W: 128
BF %: 24% (scale), 27% (calipers)

What's your current gross intake of calories, on average? Approx 1700

What's your current average intake of protein, carbs, and fats, in grams?
Protein: 100
Carbs: 125
Fat: 65

Do you use a food scale and measure everything?
no

Do you track all of your intake, daily? (Everything?)
yes

Do you take cheat days or days off?
Maybe 1x/month

How much weight have you lost so far and over what time period?
None since March

Describe your activity (exercise and non exercise) and did you change that activity withing the last couple of months?
Spinning (usually intervals/tabata) 2x/week
Small group training circuit classes 4x/week (using KB, dumbbells, medicine balls, ropes, tires, TRX and bodyweight exercises)

How long have you been stalled and if it is not a complete stall please be very specific as to how much you have lost over the stalled period.
3+ months. My goal is recomposition not necessarily weight loss. I’m not sure if I should be eating at maintenece, a little bit below. I don’t think I lift heavy enough to eat at a surplus.

Are you breastfeeding?
no

Do you have thyroid issues/risks or PCOS?
no

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging - and no worries.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    In
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Do you use a digital scale or measuring cups at all or do you estimate everything?
  • islandgirl76_
    Options
    Thanks for replying! I do not use a scale but I use measuring cups often. I eat out a lot too which makes it hard to log accurately. I read your post - you may be eating more than you think and it sounds like me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    The type of training you are doing is not conducive to bulking as it is not a progressive loading routine you are doing.

So, you have a couple of choices, which include.

1) start a traditional strength training routine, eat at a deficit for a few months taking advantage of newbie gains then up to maintenance and effectively recomp. (slowly lose fat and increase muscle) - you can always do a bulk/cut cycle when you get more experienced at lifting (and I would recommend being a slightly lower BF% to bulk)

2) start a traditional strength training routine, eat at a deficit for a few months taking advantage of newbie gains then up to maintenance and then when you have enough strength/lifting experience, do a bulk/cut cycle.

3) start a traditional strength training routine, eat at maintenance and do either of the above 2

4) continue as is and continue to lose BF and weight

For all but option 3) you will need to cut calories and/or increase activity as you are at your maintenance currently.
  • islandgirl76_
    Options
    Thanks for answering my questions so clearly. I will take door #1.

So I did start SL 5x5 earlier this week and changed my goal to 1500. It sounds a little low but I need to compensate for some loose logging.

One follow up question re: newbie gains. I lifted heavy (crossfit) until about 9 months ago. Will I gain strength faster than if I was starting from scratch?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Thanks for answering my questions so clearly. I will take door #1.

So I did start SL 5x5 earlier this week and changed my goal to 1500. It sounds a little low but I need to compensate for some loose logging.

One follow up question re: newbie gains. I lifted heavy (crossfit) until about 9 months ago. Will I gain strength faster than if I was starting from scratch?

Lol.

You will probably gain strength faster and may still make some 'newbie' gains as 'returning lifters' can also capitalize. In any event, it will set you up better for recomping/bulking when you go up to maintenance as you will not be having to learn everything and also your neural pathways will take less to fire (your brain will be better at sending the right signals and your body more receptive to receiving them once they wake up).

The 1,500 does not sound too low based on your weight if you have some loose logging as you say.
  • islandgirl76_
    Options
    Thanks for your help Sara!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Locking the thread so we can keep track of active threads easier.

If you want any more input from us, just PM either myself or SIdeSteel, including a link to this thread and we will unlock so you can pose further questions.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Unlocked at OPs request
  • islandgirl76_
    Options
    Hi Sara and SideSteel -

I have some questions about training. Here is an update on my progress...

My weight is down just a little. It was 128 in June and now it is 126-127. I had my body fat tested (calipers) in August and it was consistent with your estimate @ 24%. My trainer tested me again last week and it was 22%. My goal is to get down to about 20%.

I have been writing everything down in a journal, but NOT counting calories on MFP. I logged a few days just to check protein. My current intake is about 150 protein and 100-110 carb. Not sure what my real calorie count is, but whatever it is, it is working better than when I was logging every day.

I started SL 5x5 in the summer and gave up after a few weeks. I have continued with the small group training 4x/week, using “heavier” weights and spinning 2x/week.

I am planning to start All Pro in about a month (post vacation). I plan to continue the small group interval/circuit training as well.

So here are my questions…

How does my group training fit in with a heavy lifting program? What would my ideal schedule be?

Is there any reason to continue the spinning classes?

Oh and this may be a silly one, but what is the best way to determine my 10 rep max?
  • islandgirl76_
    Options

Oh and this may be a silly one, but what is the best way to determine my 10 rep max?

Please disregard this question. I found the answer in the ALL PRO discussion board. :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    What does the group training consist of?
  • islandgirl76_
    Options
    What does the group training consist of?

That's a good question. It is almost always a circuit that is repeated 2-3x. Intervals are 30 or 60 seconds OR 10-15 reps, depending on the workout. Exercises vary and include things such as

kettlebell: swings, deadlifts, high pulls, goblet squats, thrusters, and snatches

dumbbell: shoulder press, chest press, walking lunges

TRX: knees-in, scissors, matrix/side touch, low row, mountain climbers, a bunch of stuff I don't know the name for!

Bodyweight: push-ups, pull-ups (assisted for me), plank, burpees, various abs

Other: Wall balls, ball slams, tire flips...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    What weights are you working with?
  • islandgirl76_
    Options
    What weights are you working with?

Some examples (all in lbs)

KB swing: 35-40
    KB 1 arm swing: 30
    KB DL: 50
    KB Goblet Squats: 35-40
    KB Thrusters: 25-30
    DB Shoulder Press: 15's
    DB Chest Press: 20's
    Bent over rows: 20's
  • islandgirl76_
    Options
    Also, I am not married to ALL PRO. I just want to start some lifting program and I am open to any other suggestions you may have. Thanks again!!
  • islandgirl76_
    Options
    48 hour bump :)

Looking for advice about how and when to incorporate compound lifts into my workout routine and whether or not to continue cardio (spinning).

Thanks!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Thanks for bumping and sorry for the delay. We are going to try to get caught up this weekend.
  • islandgirl76_
    Options
    No need to be sorry. Thanks for all you do!