Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Exercising on your lunch....Ideas for workouts?

rachelnicolewestfall
rachelnicolewestfall Posts: 1 Member
edited May 2015 in Social Groups
I work in an office which is conveniently located near a lake. Not swimable water, but great walking paths!

I sit for approximately 90% of my work day. So I am looking for easy workouts I can do in the office or outside to get me moving.

Any ideas?

Replies

• FitnessasmyWitness
    FitnessasmyWitness Posts: 67 Member
    Depending on the fitness level you're starting at, a brisk walk during lunch would be perfect to get you moving and burn some extra calories. Speeding it up to running would be even better once the time comes.
    Doing various lunges and squats along the way would get the heart up as well. If you have any light hand weights you could do those as you walk.
    If there are any benches I would do some arm dips and half push ups.

Let me know if you have any questions :)

As far as in the office, I sit for probably 90% as well but I always take the stairs. I work on the 3rd floor and have to go down to the first floor at least 3-4 times a day. Doing some stairs during the lunch break wouldn't be a bad idea either.
  • GabinkaP
    GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
    I can either go down to the gym and use equipment there. Or I can walk over to the next building (Union Station) and get on the Link, which is an enclosed walkway going from Union Station to Crown Center and over to the Westin hotel. It's a good long walk, with AC in summer and heat in winter.
  • GabinkaP
    GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
    I also have small weights in my office. I do arm exercises with them. I wander while I do, but I have the space and privacy to do that. It could be done sitting down though.
  • th1ng
    th1ng Posts: 3 Member
    My boss and I are on a mission to lose some weight in the next month or so and we have started walking before we go get our lunches, we walk at least 10,000 steps (we both have pedometers) before she sit down to lunch, sometimes if we know we will have a short lunch we will speed walk instead of just walking briskly in an attempt to burn the same calories as the brisk 10,000 steps. Also in my office we do push-ups every hour, as many as we can, and we have set up a weekly goal for the office to complete 2,000 push-ups (between 6 people who don't all work on the same days) and so if you slack on your share someone has to make up for it pushing them extra hard or you have to make up for it on another day pushing yourself extra hard. You could do the same thing with any exercise though, like crunches, squats or lunges, or even jumping Jacks. And you can do it by yourself if you don't have anyone in the office that wants to do it with you, just set up a reminder on your computer for every hour or couple hours and start slow like a goal of 100 squats in 5 days.. That should be doable even if you miss a couple of the hourly workouts for meetings or something. Getting up every hour or so to move around is also really good for your brain and focus it helps get the blood flowing and keeps you awake and feeling good when that 2'o'clock nap time feeling hits you! Let me know if you want any more ideas, I spend the majority of my day sitting at a desk in a windowless office staring at computers... It's the worst!
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    I work in an office which is conveniently located near a lake. Not swimable water, but great walking paths!

I sit for approximately 90% of my work day. So I am looking for easy workouts I can do in the office or outside to get me moving.

Any ideas?

Walking. I have a ~1 hour lunch, and I can get in just under 4 miles. And, I have a similar layout to yours: My office is right on the waterfront.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    walking maybe with pushups or some body weight exercises in the middle.

Or yoga. especially when it's nice outside (I'm a yoga nerd)
  • abeneville
    abeneville Posts: 7 Member
    Love the idea of 10,000 steps before lunch. It's an easily remembered goal that will hopefully get me to walk around the neighborhood before getting lunch instead of popping in to the deli next door and eating. Thanks.
  • Zed_cob
    Zed_cob Posts: 204 Member
    I go for a walk in the morning and afternoon in the parking lot. It takes two laps to get 10 minutes. It is some exercise but best of all it makes me more fresh so I can concentrate on my work better. I also park as far away as I can so I get a bit of a walk at lunch because I eat in my car. I know that is sad but I need to get out of my tiny soul crushing cubicle.
  • abeneville
    abeneville Posts: 7 Member

Any ideas?

Walking. I have a ~1 hour lunch, and I can get in just under 4 miles. And, I have a similar layout to yours: My office is right on the waterfront.

On your next walk look for natural areas to set up your own interval training course. Where can you add in lunges, squats, push ups, tricep dips etc. It's a great way to keep your body guessing and your brain from getting bored.
  • ShaolinSharon
    ShaolinSharon Posts: 2 Member
    Do you have your own office? If so, you can do a little bodyweight training every hour. I have a sheet for every day of the week and mark the exercizes I have already done. Also, every time you go to the loo, you can do 20 squats. And run up every flight of stairs. Stand up to use the phone. It sounds like peanuts, but it made a big difference to me.
  • kiara1066
    kiara1066 Posts: 119 Member
    Hello, I have been printing out papers from a printer on the other side of where I work from. It's pretty awesome and a great way to get steps in. I have been packing my lunches better then running to a food truck much healthier!! walking touch bases are my favorite!
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    I wanted to bring back this thread because now with Pokémon Go, exercising on break is super fun :D