Shopping for a new scale

Options
tigerblue
tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
Im looking to replace my scale, which is doing strange things. I would like it to be reliable, reasonable (under $200) and fairly simple to use. I also want as reliable bodyfat measurement as you can get with one of these things. Sports authority has an omron scale that includes a handheld electrical impedence unit as well as electrical impedence at the feet. About $150 and you don't have to connect to the computer (I don't think). Does anyone know anything about this? Or does anyone have a good reccomendation?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I have one of those Omron ones that you describe that I got suckered into thinking they did anything useful. BIA is basically pointless and a waste of money.

On the plus side, it does seem to weigh accurately and consistently. I haven't used any of the other features in at least a year. There's no such thing as a home scale that accurately measures BF%. Sorry.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    yeah I wouldn't even bother with the BF% measurement side of things it's so inaccurate.

The scale I have shows your current weight, then flashes up what you weighed last time you used it...which I quite like.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That Omron style has been very consistent with me. And that's weight or the BIA BF% measurements.

In the BF realm, accuracy isn't as important as consistency - since you can't get accuracy unless by sheer luck.

Plus unless it has athlete mode for the BF%, it's tables for averages may not apply to you anyway.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Athlete-ha! I'm an artist with a fitness habit!

I guess I have to decide whether it is worth the difference in price to see changes/trends in body composition.

Looks like it is a moot point at the moment, since we unexpectedly had to purchase a new dishwasher. I'll just have to deal with the fact that I get a different reading every time I step on the scale, even at the same weigh in session! Maybe it is a good time to divorce the scale!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Just don't stand on the dishwasher door expecting anything but a broken door. especially on new dishwasher.

And for the scale's definition of athlete, not yours - you are, because you exercise.

It has to be told that this extra water attached to carbs in your leg muscles is because of exercise. Different from tables for non-exercisers.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Have you checked the batteries and that the floor is level?

Personally, I would not bother with BF% readings as they are so inaccurate.