That first game that made you a gamer.

Options

Replies

• Kisuke30
    Kisuke30 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I was a nintendo kid, but what started me into hardcore competitive gaming was delta force 2, then after that CoD2.
  • carisone
    carisone Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Started with a ZX Spectrum (Horace goes skiing!) then got a megadrive played several of their games nothing totally amazing though. Then on to playstation eventually, Doom and Tomb Raider!! When I discovered PC gaming it was first guild wars then COH then WoW.. Aion... Rift... Lotro.. SWTOR.. and now I am waiting patiently for Wildstar.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    FF VIII in the 7th grade. I was a lost cause after that. :tongue:

I don't play FF anymore, but that was definitely my gateway drug into harder RPGs. :laugh:
  • wolf39us
    wolf39us Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmx9OKFFE0X6my_rAPfYzp8Qme1OP6A7BCEQVqK7045WJHEEsOMQ

This... and Super Mario Bros when I was about 5
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Pokemon, definitely. That's where I started. As a kid, I was always glued to my Gameboy.

World of Warcraft, however, sealed the deal.
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My first one was Super Mario Bros on NES. The NES and SNES are hands down best consoles ever to me.

^^ This. Super Mario and Super Mario 3 were great (I still play Super Mario 3 on my NES), then there was Donkey Kong on SNES...but the game that really did it for me was Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. I rented it from Blockbuster and it was all downhill from there. I went to try and buy it recently (I still have my SNES, too), but it's so expensive now!! The last I saw it was going for $80.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Super Mario Bros was the biggest deal in the world to me, def the spark that lit the fuse, but I think the game that truly did me in was Chrono Cross. I fell into that world and lived there heart and soul for a few weeks. That was the game that made me understand games as an art form.
  • maykann
    maykann Posts: 7
    Options
    The first games that turned me into a gamer were probably Super Mario World, Super Mario All Stars, and Kirby Super Star. Then as a teen I got hooked on RPGs through Final Fantasy X. :)
  • DiminutiveDame
    DiminutiveDame Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I was a late bloomer, didn't even have a gaming console till I was 18 so Resident Evil 4 did it for me. But in my defense I have been making up for lost time ever since.
  • proudgamer
    proudgamer Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Pac-Man had me hooked, Legend of Zelda reeled me in.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    pac-man-25th.jpg

I saw it when I was five years old at Buehler's Grocery in Wooster, Ohio. It was new, and had a crowd around it. If I got a good progress report from school, I got to play it once a week.

The ones that may have been "problems" for me were the Desert Combat Mod of Battlefield 1942, and Tribes. If I wasn't playing, I was coding up my own vehicles and levels. At my worst point, I wasted almost a full summer and created a level that matched our office building. This was just for bragging rights at the LAN party the other developers and I had once a month.

eaf077ce40cc46fa8bf26f3c3194f03a.jpg

I really haven't been much of a gamer since Battlefield 2, but "those were the days!"
  • en4cerd43
    en4cerd43 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I go back to the Atari 2600 so Pitfall, Ghostbusters and Smurfs got me into gaming. When the NES hit the scene, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, Super Mario Bros and Legend of Zelda solidified my lifelong gaming addiction. When I discovered RPG's like Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy i knew I was going to be dumping constant hours of my life into video games and I've loved every minute.
  • L4gym
    L4gym Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I played Doom 3d and Zelda as a kid, but I'd have to say Counter strike is what really got me hooked.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    While I obsessed over many games with my original Nintendo, Zelda, RadRacer, Duck Hunt, ExciteBike, etc., and Castlevania at my dad's (he had a SEGA), it wasn't until we sat down to play Dr. Mario that we call got well and truly hooked. I have 3 younger siblings - my sister, then my brothers, so we would stop and play tournament style against each other, etc. However, my most worthy opponent, the one who talked the most smack to try to psych me out was my MOTHER! I still remember, we were trading insults one day, and she called me "Cat Fart!" and threatened to send me to Siberia (I have family from Russia). It is still a running joke between us today, though neither of us play that game/system anymore, that's when we knew we were hooked.
  • abrazil65
    Options
    Hate to be cliche but FFVII buttered my biscuits first
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Final Fantasy 1 for NES, sat there watching my dad play, he said I couldn't unless I knew how to read...so I learned to read, then I played the game...and here we are =D
  • abrazil65
    Options
    That was an inspiring story bro! :'(
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Shining Forces for Sega. When I played that "for just a minute" and it was 5am the next morning before I knew it, I was hooked on RPG's for good.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Oddworld was the first game that I ever got really absorbed in and truly entertained by. If it weren't for that game I probably still wouldn't have a console. Half of the gameplay is farting, so now you probably know all you need to know about me <g>
  • kiragami
    kiragami Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think it was Sonic the Hedgehog....I still remember him tapping his foot waiting for me to go :)
    After that I was on an endless quest to get my own console.^^