That first game that made you a gamer.

Options

Replies

• zagon_the_ultimate
    zagon_the_ultimate Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    for me it's Crusaders of the Dark Savant, it was the first game with any depth that I had ever seen. I remember trying to get every ounce of juice out of my 386 to play that game. I must have logged at least 500 hours on it alone.

for console games it would be Xenogears, followed closely by FFVII. I was an instant fan of Square after those 2 games.
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    GoldenEye 007 was the game the game that got me to buy my first console. Destroying my friends in multiplayer with grenade launchers was highly enjoyable. I got the console for GoldenEye only, and was not interested in any other games.

And then, my brother got me Zelda: Ocarina of Time for the holidays. Games suddenly meant more...

Sharing the same sentiments as the OP, I want to add that, personally, there is nothing more nostalgia-inducing than hearing the first few notes from the title screen music. The melancholic notes are now like a reminder of my youth at the time, echoing Link's growth from innocent child to responsible adult throughout the game. That game is pure heart and soul.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    GoldenEye 007 was the game the game that got me to buy my first console. Destroying my friends in multiplayer with grenade launchers was highly enjoyable. I got the console for GoldenEye only, and was not interested in any other games.

And then, my brother got me Zelda: Ocarina of Time for the holidays. Games suddenly meant more...

Sharing the same sentiments as the OP, I want to add that, personally, there is nothing more nostalgia-inducing than hearing the first few notes from the title screen music. The melancholic notes are now like a reminder of my youth at the time, echoing Link's growth from innocent child to responsible adult throughout the game. That game is pure heart and soul.

*Sniffles* Well said

[Single tear rolls down my face]
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I was 5 years old. I went with my mom to the laundromat. I saw a car shooting things above and rocks in the front. Jumping over holes. My mom gave me two quarters. I put one in and even though I only lasted 2 minutes and on my tippy toes, it was it for me. I was hooked. Moon Patrol! I owe you my gaming life.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I play 'real 'video games.

Defender ,Robotron, Tempest, Joust, Galaga, Gyruss, ...keep your zeldas and call of duty etc.
  • Aquarii
    Aquarii Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Started playing games as a toddler via a NES. The first games that got me hooked for life were Super Mario Bros. 3 and Mega Man 2 & 4.
  • nerding4ever
    Options
    BEHOLD THE GOLD CARTRIDGE OF LoZ.
    Although I never beat the game as a kid, I still tried with my dumb 5 yr old *kitten* lol
  • ElikaCousland
    ElikaCousland Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    There's a picture of me playing Atari at 2 or 3 years old. I didn't have the hand/eye coordination for the NES controller, but I could rock face with a joystick. =]

I've had the pleasure of being made a gamer twice in my life. The first game that solidified my love for gaming was probably Super Mario 3. I'd play it over and over, trying to find secrets or get through without using items or warps. I was so proud of myself the first time I beat the fast airship in World 8 without using a p-wing.

Then I got out of gaming for a couple years in my preteens/early teens. Too cool I guess. I missed the entire PS1/N64 generation...by the time I got back into it, PS2 was already out. But when I was 15 I started dating my husband, and when he found out I liked games he gave me his old PS1 and a copy of FFVIII. I'd never played an RPG before, and I was totally enthralled. And thus I was reborn as an RPG nerd! lol
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Consols:
    Nintendo: Battle Toads
    Sega: Sonic

PC:
    Doom

First MMO:
    UO (Still playing this.)

First Hand Held:
    Game Boy: Pokemon Red

First RP game: MtG
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I really love MtG. I wish I could get back in to it
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options

I have admit as lame as this sounds - I ebayed a bunch of ravenous rats so I could play my legacy deck... I haven't invested in anything from this decade yet! lol
  • cccoursey
    cccoursey Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Table top D&D with my brother

C64: Champions of Krynn
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I'm old, so I am going way back.. I played them all since the beginning but two games I really fell in love with was Burger Time and Joust.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i played console games with my brother when we were kids, and they were ok. but i'm pretty lame. the game that got me the most was the sims. i know.. like i said, i'm lame.

truly tho, i'm a gamer because my husband played wow when we first met. he was in this guild that took up all his time. we only got to see each other on the weekends so i got the game so i could play with him and actually spend some time with him. i've been hooked ever since. he hates the game now.
  • magnum26
    magnum26 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Lol call yourself gamers. muhahaha :smokin:

Track & Field on the Atari 8-bit :bigsmile:
  • Frag_Bunny
    Frag_Bunny Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Sonic the Hedgehog on Genesis. It was a present for my Dad but I played it more than him. The first game that I actually went through and completely finished was crash bandicoot. Man I miss that game.
  • yelliezx
    yelliezx Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I don't know exactly which one was first but Super Mario, Sonic, Zelda, Time Lord, Power Rangers on the Sega/Nintendo. Ohhh those were the days! I effin' love gaming.
  • soldier4242
    Options

I have admit as lame as this sounds - I ebayed a bunch of ravenous rats so I could play my legacy deck... I haven't invested in anything from this decade yet! lol
    I do still get to play on the Xbox now and then but man I think back to those days when I would walk in to a room full of people and we would all be given booster packs and based on our picks we would build decks and time and again I was able to win the whole thing or at least get in to the top 4.

I knew that luck was a factor but week after week I could beat the odds and it felt so great to be a part of it.
  • LunaMischief
    LunaMischief Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Loving this thread... Brings back fond memories of gaming youth.

Getting every single thing you could possibly find, the bottles, the Gold Skulltulas, in Ocarina of Time, and doing it all without any help from a walkthrough, make me super proud. The many hours logged into the 3 PS1 Spyro games. Playing Crash Team Racing with my step dad. Watching my dad play his PC games like Doom/Doom 2, Diablo, etc. Attempting to play Doom and Diablo and being far too scared to go very far (with my dad watching and laughing, trying to make it not so scary).

Being absolutely ecstatic when I got my PS2 just so I could play Kingdom Hearts. Which introduced me to the Final Fantasy series, and have been hooked on RPGs since. (ohhhh, all the hours sunk into 12... /sigh)
  • soldier4242
    Options
    I remember sitting on the living room floor with my friend trying to figure out all the clues so that we could progress in one of the many RPG;s that we used to play. You really did have to figure stuff out. It made the games harder, more frustrating, and so rewarding.