That first game that made you a gamer.

Options

Replies

• soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Dkc_snes_boxart.jpg

Only game I've played until I beat the whole thing.

Stopped for a while, then got hooked on The Sims in college, then it went downhill from there :P

I played this game so much. Rumor started going around that if you beat this game, without saving, 101%, in under an hour, it would let you play the original Donkey Kong. I was never able to do it.

How do you get credit for 101% of the game?
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    If you got all the KONG letters and found all the secrets, the completion screen would show 101%. DKC2 went up to 102%, DKC3 went up to 103%.
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Super Mario Bros 3- NES
  • JaneDough_
    JaneDough_ Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    220px-Qbert.png
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Aliens for my Apple IIE circa 1982.

Crap, I'm old.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    The game that made me a gamer was Socom 2...I played that game online so much...Had a blast playing clan wars until all hours of the night. Up until that point i was casual with my game playing.

Slower paced, stealth, ROUND BASED instead of respawn, third person action. Then zipper went and decided to make a completely different game multiple times and ruined the series. Only thing that has come close is search and destroy in COD. I'm hopeful one of these days someone will make a socom like game.

Other games that make me nostalgic are Goldeneye, Ocarina of Time, Donkey Kong Country, Metal Gear Solid.
  • JDySart777
    JDySart777 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Super Mario Bros. (NES)...
  • astrylian
    astrylian Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Sonic the Hedgehog on Sega Genesis. I played that game through several times; being unable to save makes you a good sport about constantly losing and restarting.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Dkc_snes_boxart.jpg

Stopped for a while, then got hooked on The Sims in college, then it went downhill from there :P

I played this game so much. Rumor started going around that if you beat this game, without saving, 101%, in under an hour, it would let you play the original Donkey Kong. I was never able to do it.

Yeah I'd never be able to do it :P
  • d0gma
    Options
    Dkc_snes_boxart.jpg

I was always a few minutes over.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    Dkc_snes_boxart.jpg

Do you have to have the 101% by the time you beat the game or can you beat the game and then go back and get your % up?
  • Angelatrudel
    Angelatrudel Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    World of warcraft, started playing 6 yrs ago and still play...although I do not get to raid as often as I use to, kids and life these days keep me busy lol Mainly play on Frostwolf server on toons named liquidbubble ( my priest) and surgerdrop( my DK).
  • d0gma
    Options
    Dkc_snes_boxart.jpg

Do you have to have the 101% by the time you beat the game or can you beat the game and then go back and get your % up?

I don't think it really matters because the rumor was false.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    Dkc_snes_boxart.jpg

I don't think it really matters because the rumor was false.

That is such a bummer. That would have been a clever feature to put in to a game like that.

Did anyone else think it was weird that Donkey Kong went from being the villain to being the hero?
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    We started with the NES but it was Super Mario World on the SNES that really locked me in. I was the little brother too (AKA Luigi)
    It's all been downhill from there (or uphill depending on how you look at it.
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Mario Brothers on NES - used to play it at a friends place all the time.

Things changed when I got into PC gaming and started playing RTS' & RPG's. Definitely became more than just a casual gamer after games like Command & Conquer, Warcraft, Final Fantasy etc.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Duke Nukem 3D
  • sphyxy
    sphyxy Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I was a little too young with the original NES (okay not tHAT young but I was preoccupied with other things besides games like Barbies, cartoons, and playing outside) but I played the **** out of Super Mario World. Pretty much a bunch of stuff on SNES. I got back into games when I fell into the WoW trap for 6 years but quit 2 years ago. That was the most time and effort I put into any game.
  • sophierocious
    Options
    Mario bros(NES) and Duck Hunt! :)
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Guess you could say Final Fantasy IX was the first game that made me a real gamer. I spent hours playing the game, and stayed up until 3 in the morning to beat it. It is probably my second favorite of all the Final Fantasy games. I LOVED Final Fantasy X, and was a big fan of the Blitz Ball mini-game. I spent hours, upon hours playing the mini-game.

But in truth, I have gamed on and off my entire life. I was introduced to gaming on the Nintendo, and then stole a few hours of play on my dads Atari. I love the older games, and am not a huge fan of the new stuff that is roaming the market today.