That first game that made you a gamer.

Options

Replies

• rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    A Sears/telegames pong machine, the local arcade and then my friends getting all the latest systems.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Hard to pick just one. A whole lot of SNES games came to mind but I think I started playing PC games before I got an SNES. So I'll have to go with 1991's Commander Keen Episode 4. I remember getting out the old joystick and sitting in an unfinished storage room where the computer was trying over and over to get past those slugs. There was also an old Jetsons game that was really tricky, I remember my dad struggling with it too.

ckeen41b.png
  • EbonyWhiteMage
    EbonyWhiteMage Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I remember my first game being Sonic the Hedgehog my mom thought I'd like it more because of my adhd and high energy and she was completely correct.
  • TheHive
    TheHive Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    streets of rage 1 Sega
  • JackKopCh
    JackKopCh Posts: 8,044 Member
    Options
    Pokemon Red was the first game I put hours and hours and hours into... online gaming, that was Counter Strike... over all of the Counter Strike games, I must have over 10,000 hours played :cold_sweat:
  • Lanna234
    Lanna234 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Mine would have been Ultima Online. My ex husband introduced me to it. (Which he now's tells my teenage children, was his biggest mistake!). It is where I met my now husband of almost 15 years. As much as I loved UO, though. Dark Age of Camelot is the one I miss the most.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I grew up with computers. I wrote (my mom read it to me and I typed it in) a game in BASIC when I was five on a TRS-80 and I played it for years. When I was about eight or so Sierra was big, and I played as many of the * Quest games as I could get my hands on. I can't remember a time when I wasn't a gamer.
  • phoenix74162
    phoenix74162 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    King's Quest, Commando (C64), Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry..Friends dad had it, we had to sneak to play it lol.
  • ZelleLarentia
    ZelleLarentia Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The first game that truly made me a gamer was "Bayonetta" on the Sony PS3. PAIN was (and still is) a big favorite, as is "Tomb Raider", "Dragon Age:Origins and Awakening", "Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands" and many others. The very first game system I had (or rather shared with my siblings) was the Sears analog of the Atari 2600. I was good at "Pitfall" and "Circus". Yes, we were gifted that horrible "E.T." game for Christmas one year too, LOL. I have some neurological problems from one-too-many concussions, so my platforming skills are hit or miss. So, I may never win the trophies for completing a game on "Hard" or "Nightmare" level (or the OMFG level as I like to call it), but I still enjoy going through them again and again for my own personal challenges.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Commander Keen in DOS got me started. Doom, Hexen, and Heretic got me hooked.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Hunt the Wumpus on the TI 94/A
  • rlwat17
    rlwat17 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The first Black Ops did it for me.
  • lomogeek
    lomogeek Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Asteroids on an old school Atari and I've been gaming ever since.
  • SuleenRuuz
    SuleenRuuz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The Sims
  • CommanderEmily
    CommanderEmily Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The first Harvest Moon, and its early sequels lured me. My mom got rid of our nintendo rather quickly because our pastor implied games melt your brain and soul. Made me sad. I lived vicariously at my friends houses, with Zelda, Mario, and etc. Then came pokemon on handhelds my friends would let me borrow, and the real official moment was when my highschool sweet heart lent me a gamecube, DS, and helped me get some games. Its been a big part of my life since. I especially love RPGs. I was a book geek, so it felt even more immersive than just reading stories. Met a gamer girl, fell in love, now we have two cats and a dog and several game systems and a big library of games.
  • ca1v1n
    ca1v1n Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Bard's Tale on the Commodore 64
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Donkey Kong Country on SNES. I wanna play it again so bad.
  • kyricus
    kyricus Posts: 69 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Started gaming back in the dark ages of Pong, so around 1972 or '73 or so. First at the arcade, then when released to console by Atari I think Mom bought it for us, I was entranced. Haven't looked back since.
  • ShortRound82
    ShortRound82 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The first game I played was Pong. The first game that caught my full attention was Mario Brothers. The first game that sunk it's teeth into me was Golden Eye.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I'm sowing my age but it was a Sears Super Pong 4 unit my neighbors had. Later, once i could reach the controls, i got into arcades and then consoles. I still miss arcades. There's one nearby but it's in a really shady part of town and doesn't open until 11am.