Is anyone using a form for self-monitoring?

Options
walkdmc
walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
I have "Overcoming Binge Eating" (one of the recommended books in our group here) and the author has forms to fill out, for self monitoring of food intake, feelings, location, etc. I'm putting in a half-baked effort filling it out, admittedly. Does anyone else use such forms and are they helpful to you? What have you learned?

Maybe I've been dealing with bingeing for so long that I feel like I know it all (obviously not, but still...). One is supposed to notice patterns on the forms but I feel like I know my patterns very well.

Replies

• walkdmc
    Options
    Thanks! That sounds like what I was doing, mentally, before I read the book. I think I'll start writing the cravings down, maybe even give them a scale, then reassess after a mental health break and give that a scale. Thanks for the tip on tracking that, seems like it would be more helpful to me at my stage.
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    My therapist gave me forms like that and I felt the same way about them as you do - I already know what makes me binge and at the time I just dont care nor care enough to fill out the form.

My best strategy by far has been socializing - even a phonecall to my mother to hear her talk about birds and swimming breaks the loop in my mind.
  • walkdmc
    Options
    Tsikkz, that sounds like something that worked well for me while I was in Overeaters Annonymous. I would call fellow members just to get out of my head and by the end of the conversation, the urge to binge was gone. The same happens if I just get out amongst people. I love window shopping for this reason!