Coconut oil

Options
azcowgirrlup
azcowgirrlup Posts: 204 Member
This is day six for me on lchf. Doing well, except for one odd thing. . I have noticed that on the days that I add coconut oil to my coffee, I get jittery. I don't like the feeling. If I only add butter to my coffee, no problem. Does anyone else have a problem with coconut oil? Thanks in advance.

Karyn

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I never correlated the jittery ness with coconut oil but in the beginning I would have days where I couldn't stop bouncing my legs or talking non stop, I was really amped up at the start but it has settled down now.
  • azcowgirrlup
    Options
    Mine is not a bouncy energized feeling, its a creepy feeling, like something not right is going on in my body. I finally got hold of my NP and she said she sees a number of patients that have heart palpitations and a jittery feeling when using coconut oil. She herself uses it with no problem, but she said she cannot ignore the number of patients she is seeing that are having this problem. She said I can either just stop taking it or try a tiny amount and see if it bothers me. If I can tolerate that, then move it up gradually. So I am going to skip it for a few days and then try a tiny amount in my coffee and see if a smaller amount is ok. Fingers crossed.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I've read that some may have to start with small amounts and work up to taste/desired amounts. Good luck!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    This is day six for me on lchf. Doing well, except for one odd thing. . I have noticed that on the days that I add coconut oil to my coffee, I get jittery. I don't like the feeling. If I only add butter to my coffee, no problem. Does anyone else have a problem with coconut oil? Thanks in advance.

Karyn

I do larges amounts of coconut daily OK now. So many weird things happened during my first 6 months of low carb but over time they passed.

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Odds are, it's the medium chain triglycerides. They're jet fuel for humans, basically. MCTs have a burn speed and efficiency on par with pure glucose and without the insulin rollercoaster. You can imagine what that does if you're not used to it. Combine that with the caffeine in the coffee and it's a wonder if you can sleep...like...ever.

Mark Sisson actually mentions that he gets what essentially amounts to an acid trip off of concentrated MCT oil, because it provides way more energy than he generally needs -- http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-mark-mct-oil-camelina-oil-and-fancy-canola-oil. He doesn't get this with coconut oil, but it could be that you're more sensitive to the effects of the MCTs even in coconut oil.
  • Artemis68
    Artemis68 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one that noticed this! Thought I was losing my mind...I got very jittery, energetic, not even sure what the right descriptive word is...just weird.

Thanks for the info Dragonwolf!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I noticed more gastro effects, but after I finally started using coconut oil, I started slowly... (like 1 tsp a day for a week slowly). and I think once you let your body get used to it, it gets better. And unlike caffeine, there is no after drop....just a slow taper.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    So THAT's why I've been able to forego my mid-morning coffee pick-me-up! I've been drinking BPC (my version has only coconut oil and butter in it, sometimes with a little heavy cream) every morning before work and have totally eliminated any need for refills. I guess it's the more steady energy?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    So THAT's why I've been able to forego my mid-morning coffee pick-me-up! I've been drinking BPC (my version has only coconut oil and butter in it, sometimes with a little heavy cream) every morning before work and have totally eliminated any need for refills. I guess it's the more steady energy?

Like Dragonwolf said, it's kind of a human rocketfuel. I've eliminated my daily energy shot (concentrated energy drinK) and the need for an afternoon pick me up... WIN WIN
  • azcowgirrlup
    Options
    I am going to start adding it back in small amounts on Sunday. Medical tests Saturday, so I will wait that one extra day. Dragonwolf, thank you!
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Ah, sleep issues. Maybe now there is a connection