Reduced Inflammation due to diet?

Options
MistressPi
MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
Hello all,

I was experiencing pain in my shoulder awhile back, and went to the doctor. She diagnosed the condition as tendonitis (inflammation) in my rotator cuff, and recommended Aleve and physical therapy exercises.

My condition has improved with stretching and time. I took some Aleve, and I took some tumeric, but neither at the same time, and not consistently.

This morning, after I woke up and showered, I realized that my shoulder felt markedly better since the beginning of the week. I looked back through my diary to see what I was eating. Although my carbs are not super low (hovering around 30g net per day), I have been eating mostly meat, fat & eggs, very little veg, and almost entirely gluten-free (the latter not necessarily by design - and not celiac-compliant by any means).

Has anyone here experienced reduced inflammation due to diet?

I think I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing... I do have a brand new package of Tumaro's low carb wraps (which contain gluten), but I'm going to hold off on using them for a bit, they seem less enciting. Then I will try one and see if it affects my shoulder.

Replies

• danidanibobani
    danidanibobani Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've experienced the same thing. My lower back has been a problem since I broke my ankle last December and has to walk on a boot, which threw out my back. Every time I sat on a hard chair or the ground it would take a few moments to straighten up and it really hurt. I've been keeping the carbs under 20 for the last two weeks and I noticed I can stand right up. A very nice side effect.
  • MistressPi
    Options
    Wow dashriver, that's fantastic!
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Yes, I can say I have had a similar happy effect. I have had trouble with arthritic knees for some time but after a few weeks of LCHF I realised that I didnt have pain in them any longer!!
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Yep. My knees don't hurt like they did and my heel spurs don't flare up as often.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Fibromyalgia pain is almost gone! Waiting for the headaches to do the same. Improvements began within a couple of weeks LCHF and I found that the lower I went with carbs the better I felt. This is the main reason for going zero carb!
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I have a knee that has drastically improved since starting. It's flared up recently, but I can't point to any one thing as the cause. Fats can be anti-inflammatory, my whole family takes fish oil for that reason.
  • MistressPi
    Options
    Amazing! Jumana, Sugarbeat, Karlotap, Sweettea, I am happy for you!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    My pain level dropped from a normal 7-8 to 2-3 on a 1-10 scale within 30 days after going low carb.
  • MistressPi
    Options
    Wow, Gale! That is awesome!
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Daily shoulder pain and headaches completely disappeared since Paleo. My physio who's been trying to find the cause for a year can't believe it. Actually he literally doesn't believe it but I don't have any pain.
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to hear everyone's improvements!

For me, inflammation is definitely lower. Less overall aches and pains, and a pinched nerve in my forearm that would flare up with repetitive motions like typing or knitting that hasn't bothered me at all even though this is the worst time of year for it and I've been doing a combination of both for at least six hours a day. PCOS related pain completely gone, which means my back and hips are no longer so tight because I'm sitting or standing funny to compensate. I was feeling bad enough for such a long time that I was seriously considering seeking a fibromyalgia diagnosis, but almost all of those symptoms have vanished, or reduced to the point where I don't think about them.

So many bad things are just GONE, and I feel like I have gained so much of myself back and the scariest thing is that I didn't even know I was so impaired.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    My decrease of inflammation has occured in "soft" structures.

My asthma has gotten SO much better and my intestines are no longer impersonating a Macys T-Day parade balloon. My sinuses are a work in progress, but with allergies I'm not expecting too much more improvement there.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    @AreteAndWhimsy It's true that sometimes we don't realize how bad we feel until we feel better! Good for you! It does happen pretty quickly and that's one of the most awesome side effects of this woe!
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Fibromyalgia pain is almost gone! Waiting for the headaches to do the same. Improvements began within a couple of weeks LCHF and I found that the lower I went with carbs the better I felt. This is the main reason for going zero carb!

So great that your fibro pain is almost gone! That alone makes going ZC worth it. I hope it happens for me.
  • MistressPi
    Options
    Daily shoulder pain and headaches completely disappeared since Paleo. My physio who's been trying to find the cause for a year can't believe it. Actually he literally doesn't believe it but I don't have any pain.

So it's inconceivable to him that a change in diet could have this effect? Hmm. When you get right down to it, aren't all doctors just scientists with a speciality? Should not all scientists have an open mind? Fixed ideas. Old beliefs die hard.

• MistressPi
    Options
    I'm so glad to hear everyone's improvements!

For me, inflammation is definitely lower. Less overall aches and pains, and a pinched nerve in my forearm that would flare up with repetitive motions like typing or knitting that hasn't bothered me at all even though this is the worst time of year for it and I've been doing a combination of both for at least six hours a day. PCOS related pain completely gone, which means my back and hips are no longer so tight because I'm sitting or standing funny to compensate. I was feeling bad enough for such a long time that I was seriously considering seeking a fibromyalgia diagnosis, but almost all of those symptoms have vanished, or reduced to the point where I don't think about them.

So many bad things are just GONE, and I feel like I have gained so much of myself back and the scariest thing is that I didn't even know I was so impaired.

This is great to hear. Hearing stories like the ones you all are sharing gives me hope. You know, when my doctor told me her diagnosis, I was angry. I couldn't remember injuring my shoulder - and what the heck could I have been doing to get it this way? I HAD fallen on my side (I had a big ole bruise - the size of my fist - on my hip to show for it, too) but I didn't remember using my left arm to break my fall, and I had no bruising in that area. Perhaps I just don't remember injuring it. But my shoulder was bothering me long after the bruising on my hip had disappeared.

Further, I've had tendonitis in my right forearm for decades due to too much typing and mousing - and no matter what I did, I could never get rid of it completely. It was a repetitive stress injury. Tendonitis in my left rotator cuff, however, couldn't have been from repetitive stress. My doctor informed me that tendonitis can have more than one cause.

This was depressing to hear, because my personal experience has made me believe that tendonitis is a permanent condition. I've had flare-ups on and off for decades. It just would NEVER go away completely, no matter what I tried. I could no longer spend ALL DAY keyboarding, even with the best ergonomics in my work station, and even with periodic breaks. Even with a brace. It was the gift that kept on giving, like malaria or herpes. Is this what it's going to be like, getting older? The slow loss of functionality, one body part at a time? Depressing.

I never thought that inflammation could be reduced by diet. Can inflammation be caused by diet? I wonder if there have been any controlled studies to explore these possibilities?
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yes. 1 year ago a 3 hrs marathon cycling would render me unable to walk, hobbling for <2 weeks. Now I do 2 long, hard sessions of various types 2-3 hrs EVERY week, including all the other walks almost every day. Still slight murmur sometimes, but much better.
    I <3 pork rinds!

Edit: Forgot to say that I have an old shoulder injury that never healed properly. And now it feels very inflamed. I probably should try lower my carbs to see if any change.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    It went through a period of being worse before things started to get better. I'm at about 80% improved which is amazing! I've been lc since February and decreased all the way to ZC now.